Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Performance of encryption software

  1. #1
    Nico Schuyt
    Guest

    Performance of encryption software

    I did some testing with Flycryptor and Truecrypt.
    Flycryptor is very easy to use but seems to be a lot slower than Truecrypt.
    For example: copying 616MB text files took:
    32 seconds without encryption
    35 seconds inside of a Truecrypt container
    45 seconds in a Fycryptor container
    I'm not completely sure about the significance (though the results were the
    same on repetition): a search on a text phrase in 6,000 e-mails (OE) took
    about as long in Flycryptor as without encryption.

    Has anyone experience with both programs and/or a general advice what
    program is to be preferred?

    --
    Thanks in advance, Nico




  2. #2
    jc
    Guest

    Re: Performance of encryption software

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > I did some testing with Flycryptor and Truecrypt.
    > Flycryptor is very easy to use but seems to be a lot slower than Truecrypt.
    > For example: copying 616MB text files took:
    > 32 seconds without encryption
    > 35 seconds inside of a Truecrypt container
    > 45 seconds in a Fycryptor container
    > I'm not completely sure about the significance (though the results were the
    > same on repetition): a search on a text phrase in 6,000 e-mails (OE) took
    > about as long in Flycryptor as without encryption.
    >
    > Has anyone experience with both programs and/or a general advice what
    > program is to be preferred?
    >


    FlyCryptor is propriatory while TrueCrypt is open source. TrueCrypt code
    is available for inspection, particularly the algorithms it uses for
    encryption. FlyCryptor has to be taken at face value.


    jc

  3. #3
    Nico Schuyt
    Guest

    Re: Performance of encryption software

    jc wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> I did some testing with Flycryptor and Truecrypt.
    >> Flycryptor is very easy to use but seems to be a lot slower than
    >> Truecrypt. For example: copying 616MB text files took:
    >> 32 seconds without encryption
    >> 35 seconds inside of a Truecrypt container
    >> 45 seconds in a Fycryptor container
    >> I'm not completely sure about the significance (though the results
    >> were the same on repetition): a search on a text phrase in 6,000
    >> e-mails (OE) took about as long in Flycryptor as without encryption.
    >>
    >> Has anyone experience with both programs and/or a general advice what
    >> program is to be preferred?


    > FlyCryptor is propriatory while TrueCrypt is open source. TrueCrypt
    > code is available for inspection, particularly the algorithms it uses
    > for encryption. FlyCryptor has to be taken at face value.


    That makes sense. Advantage of the FlyCryptor however is its easy handling
    (for a price of $100 however)
    Thanks for your reaction!

    --
    Nico



  4. #4
    jc
    Guest

    Re: Performance of encryption software

    Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > jc wrote:
    >> Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >>> I did some testing with Flycryptor and Truecrypt.
    >>> Flycryptor is very easy to use but seems to be a lot slower than
    >>> Truecrypt. For example: copying 616MB text files took:
    >>> 32 seconds without encryption
    >>> 35 seconds inside of a Truecrypt container
    >>> 45 seconds in a Fycryptor container
    >>> I'm not completely sure about the significance (though the results
    >>> were the same on repetition): a search on a text phrase in 6,000
    >>> e-mails (OE) took about as long in Flycryptor as without encryption.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone experience with both programs and/or a general advice what
    >>> program is to be preferred?

    >
    >> FlyCryptor is propriatory while TrueCrypt is open source. TrueCrypt
    >> code is available for inspection, particularly the algorithms it uses
    >> for encryption. FlyCryptor has to be taken at face value.

    >
    > That makes sense. Advantage of the FlyCryptor however is its easy handling
    > (for a price of $100 however)
    > Thanks for your reaction!
    >


    If a nice UI is more important than security and scrutiny go ahead and
    put your money down.


    jc

  5. #5
    Nico Schuyt
    Guest

    Re: Performance of encryption software

    jc wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> jc wrote:
    >>> Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >>>> I did some testing with Flycryptor and Truecrypt.
    >>>> .....
    >>>> Has anyone experience with both programs and/or a general advice
    >>>> what program is to be preferred?


    >>> FlyCryptor is propriatory while TrueCrypt is open source. TrueCrypt
    >>> code is available for inspection, particularly the algorithms it
    >>> uses for encryption. FlyCryptor has to be taken at face value.

    >>
    >> That makes sense. Advantage of the FlyCryptor however is its easy
    >> handling (for a price of $100 however)
    >> Thanks for your reaction!


    > If a nice UI is more important than security and scrutiny go ahead and
    > put your money down.


    A combination of quality and easy handling is even better :-)
    It took me hours to find out how to work with Tuecrypt on PC, USB drive and
    external HDD. That costs money too.

    --
    Nico



Similar Threads

  1. Hey TWEAKERS! How bout a general PC performance tweak guide?
    By Capitalizt in forum Broadband Tweaks Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-30-08, 07:06 AM
  2. Looking for an encryption software for file folders
    By agustintorre in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-07, 09:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •