Hello everyone,

I am trying to use port forwarding on my Home ADSL modem which is connected to Linksys Wireless Router WRTSL54GS (basically acting as a Switch/Access Point). My objective is to reach a desktop PC connected to it as follow :

DSL Modem-->Wireless Router-->Desktop (Wired 100Mbps)

I have 2 DSL modems and have tried various settings (both have pros and cons) resultantly I have a couple of queries for which I would appreciate if someone can answer.

1.HUAWEI SmartAX 880

Its the default modem given to me with the DSL connection by my service provider. I have tried configuring port forwarding over it (by following various guides on the internet) in the "Virtual Server" option, but all in vain. Nothing seems to work. I can only reach the WAN (Internet) address of my DSL modem and cannot go beyond it to a specific Desktop PC on port 3389 (basically i am trying to control my home PC with windows remote desktop or VNC).

The firmware on it is pretty old Ver 1.xxx (2004) . I have tried searching over the internet but cannot find any new firmware file for it (maybe its a discontinued product).

If someone has used this modem with a latest firmware, then can you please tell that whetehr the latest firmware has the option to update the dynamic WAN address on DynamicDNS.org. Its called the "DDNS" function usually. I need it cause I obtain a dynamic IP for the DSL everytime it disconnects/reconnects, so I have registered a domain name to reach my modem which is to be updated everytime.

I would appreciate if someone can post a latest firmware link for this modem. Also would like any help from someone who has tried port forwarding in a similar setup.

2. Aztech DSL600EU (with USB)

This is another DSL modem lying with me. I have successfully configured and connected it to my DSL line as well.

However it has the same problem of having an old firmware. I have tried searching everywhere on the internet, even ftp.aztech.com is down where the latest firmwares were hosted. I would appreciate if someone can post a latest firmware link for this modem. Also would like any help from someone who has tried port forwarding in a similar setup.

It has the DDNS functionality which work fine and it automatically updates the web address/domain name.

However it has another problem. I cannot find any option in the web configuration interface to allow the VPN Tunnel traffic to pass through. As a result I can never connect to my office VPN from home. I have used internal DHCP of the DSL Modem(s) to assign automatic DHCP address to all my home devices.

Reason being that I connect to my office VPN via secure VPN client secured by PKI infrastructure SmartCard login. For th same function there is an option in the Huawei/Linksys Modems & Routers for Allow IPSec / L2TP / PPTP traffic pass through.

I want to know that where is this option buried in the web-interface of Aztech DSL600EU Firmware version 100.2.5. I can find it in the "IP Filters" section and have tried configuring it but it never works. I am not sure it is applied for the LAN client connected to the modem or not.

Thank you for reading. Infact I have this problem that I cannot use both of the modems since one or more features are missing on any of them.

Please guide me for a better ADSL modem as well based on your experience.

Regards,
Myself.