Thread: Problem in Port Forwarding for Windows Remote Desktop or VNC

Question Problem in Port Forwarding for Windows Remote Desktop or VNC

HI Gurus,

I am trying to access/control my Home PC for file sharing and media serving , via internet from my office. The obvious choice for this kind of requirement was to go for

1. Windows Remote Desktop (Standard port 3389 TCP )

2. Use any VNC software ( I used UltraVNC, but it has some sort of problem with saving password, can somebody suggest any good VNC Server/client). (Standard Ports for UltraVNC 5800 and 5900 TCP)

3. Any other method not known by me.

Searched around the internet to understand how would I reach a specific PC in my Home LAN, which is located behind a Wireless Router connected to the internet via DSL Modem. Thus comes the solution of "Port Forwarding". But like a lot of other folks on the internet , I have the paradoxical "double port forwarding" scenario.

I have attached this picture to explain the structure , specific settings and IP addressing I am using on my home LAN.

The infrastructure to work with is as follows :

Office PC==> || Internet || ==>Home DSL Modem==>Linksys Wireless Router==>Home Desktop Server.

1. A DSL modem connecting me to the internet. It is Huawei SmartAX MT880. It has NAT exnabled and firewall disabled. It has internal LAN IP address as 192.168.1.1. It is serving as the sole gateway for the rest of the network. It has a dynamically assigned WAN IP address from the range of 116.71.xxx.xxx. I can check it everytime via www.mywanIP.com. It is registered to have a domain name at www.dyndns.org. So I can access the router default configuration page via typing its assigned domain name (which of course needs to be updated manually or automatically whenever WAN IP changes).

The DHCP server in the DSL modem is enabled to assign IP address to all connecting Wired/Wireless devices from the range of (192.168.1.6 - 192.168.1.xxx) .

Port forwarding in the Modem's web interface is done via "Virtual Server" option. To my understanding if I connect via using any client software and arrive at my MODEM's WAN address (either via DynDNS or direct WAN IP address) at a specific port (for either remote desktop or VNC), then I should be forwarded next to the IP address of the Wireless Router according the topology and structure of my Home LAN, because all clients are connected to the wireless router and not the DSL modem itself. I have made the settings accordingly in the Virtual Server section to forward all incoming connections on the DSL modem on ports 3389 or 5800 or 5900 to the IP address of the Wireless router which is 192.168.1.2.

2. The CAT5 ethernet connection coming out from DSL modem is connected in one of the 4 LAN ports (not WAN port) of Linksys WRTSL54GS wireless router. It is running the Firmware Version : v2.07.0, HyperWRT + thibor17 rc3. The DHCP server is disabled in the router configuration. (Since all devices get the IP from the DHCP enabled on the DSL modem, thus no need to have two confusing DHCPs in one LAN segment). NAT enabled on the router. It is in the "Router" mode in the Advanced configruation and not Gateway. It is merely acting as the Wireless Access Point actually, since the WAN (marked as "Internet" on the router body)side of the connection ports is not in use.

The WAN configuration of Linksys is set on "Automatic Configuration - DHCP". Thus there is no actual WAN address of the router as shown in the status Tab of the router's web interface. It reads as follows (Infact maybe since there is
    nothing connected on the Internet port of the router and it is just an access point so the it maybe correct) :

Login Type : Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Remaining Lease Time : 0 days, 00:00:00
    IP Address : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0
    DNS 1 :
    DNS 2 :
    DNS 3 :
    MTU : 1500

The internal LAN static IP address of the router is 192.168.1.2. All connections from DSL modem on the specific remote control ports are forwarded to it. Then the wireless router should forward all these incoming connections to a specific desktop host connected which shares file and data. So accordingly I have configured port forwarding options in the router web interface, to forward all connections on ports 3389 or 5800 or 5900 to the IP address of the Desktop PC which is 192.168.1.5.

Its actually a bit confusing since there are 3 tabs in this router firmware with the names "Port Forwarding" , "Port Trigerring" and "Port Redirection". I dont know which ones to actually configure to achieve this purpose. From whatever info I can get, I have only filled in port numbers and IP address values in the tab "Port Forwarding". (though from the definition it seems like port redirection tab needs to be filled as well).

The UPnP service on the wireless router is enabled and the DMZ is disabled.

3. The desktop PC has a static IP address of 192.168.1.5 and connected via wired CAT5 to the router. The Windows Firewall is disabled for all types of connections. No antivirus is blocking any ports on the PC. Remote Desktop is
    enabled to listen on TCP Ports 3389 by default. Thus any computer from the local LAN can easily connect and control this PC via windows remote desktop client.

I have also tried installing UltraVNC 1.0.5 server on this PC as a windows service. Somehow in the initial configuration window of UltraVNC whenever I give a VNC access password and set certain other options and press save button it shows the status saved. But when i try to access it via any other PC on the local LAN , it does not let me access via the saved password and shows the password window again and again saying the password is incorrect. The options are also reverted to original when I open the properties window for UltraVNC. Maybe it a software bug and somebody can guide me what to do with it.

After all the above setup in place, when I tried connecting to my home PC, via the internet, using any client software or web browser it simply did not work. The DynDNS name of my DSL modem is working properly , I have checked it via standard web browser.

I tried giving the DynDNS name of my DSL modem in the web browser window / Remote Desktop connection. In theory I should arrive at my DSL modem configuration page, forwarded on the wireless router, and then again forwarded to the desktop PC to connect to the console or to control the desktop. However it is not happening and its been quite long trying.

Thanks a lot for reading all the way.

Can someone please guide me as how to make it work, what am I doing wrong or share their experience from a similar setup.

Regards,
    AlterEgo

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Would Logmein Free fulfill your needs?
    No worry about ISP dynamic IP addresses, no worry about static LAN IP address, no worry about firewalls.
    https://secure.logmein.com/products/...lt.asp?lang=en
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

LogmeIn is not 100% what I need

Well the LogMeIn can be a good alternative, but sadly most of the features are available in the paid version and the free version is only a remote desktop control.

Can you please guide me as to what can be missing from my existing setup, so I can make it much useful for myself at the same time learning the port forwarding options in action.

Regards,
    AlterEgo

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The port forwarding on the Huawei SmartAX MT880 needs to point to the LAN IP of the computer you wish to access, I'm guessing 192.168.1.5. Not to the LAN IP of the Linksys router running in AP mode, since it's not doing any NAT on the Linksys....there are no ports to forward, they are bypassed.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks,

I have used certain websites for checking my ports and they show the required port (3389 for Remote Desktop) is open on my DSL Modem.

In the modem web interface I give the IP of the desired computer I want to access (192.168.1.5) and Private and Public Port as 3389 so the same port received on the modem can be forwarded to the same on the desktop PC and vice-versa.

I have however tried whatever you have suggested by only setting the port forwarding (virtual server) option in the DSL Modem directly to the desired computer.

The options dont seem to work. I can only connect to the web interface of the DSL modem by typing its WAN (Internet) address. It seems like all the requests end on the DSL modem. But cannot go forward to the desired PC. I am trying to do it by connecting via my laptop on the same LAN in the remote desktop connection where I give the WAN address of the DSL modem as the computer to connect to in the connection dialog box.

All firewall options are disabled on the computer so nothing is blocking the ports.

I am myself at a loss why is this seemingly simple setup for port forwarding is not working.

Regards.