Thread: got a replacement bike...

got a replacement bike...

So I picked up a 2000 Yamaha YZF-R6 yesterday in Dayton. It has about 12k on it, new Pirelli's, Yosh RS-3 pipe and some road rash. I'm not too worried about the cosmetic stuff because if I drop it, I won't be devastated.

Along with that, the guy had a practically new Icon Hooligan jacket that is my size (we were the same height/weight). I bought it for $100. The bike also came with an RK Quick Acceleration Chain Kit new in box, new halogen headlight bulbs and a battery charger. He also threw in his KBC VR-2 Dragon helmet.

I took it out for a spin today and it's certainly a different bike than my SV650S was. In-line four is a different animal than the V-twin. Here's a picture of it after I took a ride in the country...

On a side note, I found that the "local" (1.5 hr away) race track does track days for motorcycles. They have a beginner level day/2 day thing where you go out and ride and then come back for coaching. Sounds like a hell of a time to learn and have a good time in a controlled environment. I'd love to get in on it this year yet, but it'll probably be next as this season is coming to a close.

Anyway, it looks like I'll be enjoying this bike for a long time. Anyone here own one of these now or in the past? Any tips/hints/etc?

Trade it in on this.... Brembo got one yesterday.

People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Yikes!

I'll have to give my insurer a call to see how much my rate will go up. Going from the SV650S to the R6 only bumped it about $60/year. I'm guessing it would be cheaper to insure me on a home built Space Shuttle.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    All of you getting new bikes around here is KILLING me!

I wanna ride again bad, on my own bike!

Nice, nice ride.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    .....I'm guessing it would be cheaper to insure me on a home built Space Shuttle.....
    It's not much less power than a shuttle, I bet it doesn't cost much more either.

nice lookin bike!

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

So I picked up a 2000 Yamaha YZF-R6 yesterday in Dayton. It has about 12k on it, new Pirelli's, Yosh RS-3 pipe and some road rash. I'm not too worried about the cosmetic stuff because if I drop it, I won't be devastated.

Along with that, the guy had a practically new Icon Hooligan jacket that is my size (we were the same height/weight). I bought it for $100. The bike also came with an RK Quick Acceleration Chain Kit new in box, new halogen headlight bulbs and a battery charger. He also threw in his KBC VR-2 Dragon helmet.

I took it out for a spin today and it's certainly a different bike than my SV650S was. In-line four is a different animal than the V-twin. Here's a picture of it after I took a ride in the country...

On a side note, I found that the "local" (1.5 hr away) race track does track days for motorcycles. They have a beginner level day/2 day thing where you go out and ride and then come back for coaching. Sounds like a hell of a time to learn and have a good time in a controlled environment. I'd love to get in on it this year yet, but it'll probably be next as this season is coming to a close.

Anyway, it looks like I'll be enjoying this bike for a long time. Anyone here own one of these now or in the past? Any tips/hints/etc?

nice bike

What kinda pirellis? Diablos? If they are in fact Diablos, the rear will flat spot in a hurry if yer just commuting and not tossing it at some curves often. I'm running a Michelin Pilot Road 2, which has a touring-based center compund and Pilot Power shoulders, kinda the best of both worlds(not as good as a normal Power for real hooligan action tho, but damn close).

Yamaha makes excellent machines, one of the best engine builders IMO, and they do good with the rest of the bike too I think.

Get thee to a shop and have em check the valves, likely they are fine, but no sense in burning one up...ounce of prevention=pound of cure sorta thing.

Have a look at the brake pads, again ounce/pound thing. Pads are super cheap, rotors will blow yer mind as to how spendy they are.

Do yerself a favor and get some stands http://www.t-rex-racing.com/ is about the cheapest you'll find and they aren't total trash. The "industry standard" is pitbull stands, but I'm happy as a clam with my t-rex stuff. Makes standard maintainence so much easier and when on the stands the bike is really difficult to accidentally knock over.

Look into a battery tender, bike electrical systems on supersports are designed for weight, not really for output, the SS class rocks a minimalist credo and the stator/electrical bits are sometimes a bit weak. A battery tender takes some of the load off a system by making sure the battery is nice and topped off, less strain on the system. A Battery Tender Jr. is only 44 bucks and comes with pigtails you can hardwire into the battery for easy and quick hookup when it's the garage. Also the ECU works a smidge better when seeing a nice even voltage, bike will run a smidge better.

I see that the bike has Keihin carbs, and thats a WONDERFUL thing. My 2001 YZ426F (motocross) bike has the same brand and I am amazed at how beautifully it runs, day in and day out. Carbed bikes of that vintage had em down to a science, so it outta be butter smooth.

That track you mentioned, might wanna roll up to a track day on yer new rig and see if you can pick the brains of a racer or two on suspension matters. Ask about setting it up for public roads/yer weight/yer riding preferences. Someone there will be more than happy to help you out. A properly sorted suspension will make it more fun and safer to ride.

And finally, remember that bike has ~120 hp, weighs all of 400 pounds and has a HUGE performance envelope. If the tires are balanced right and there is not wonky stuff going on with the frame, speed will build in a hurry and it won't feel like yer goin all that fast. I can think of 2-3 production cars that'll hang with that bike in the 1/4 mile and those cars are 700+ horsepower. You have a helluva bike there, respect it please.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Quote Originally Posted by brembo View Post
    What kinda pirellis? Diablos? If they are in fact Diablos, the rear will flat spot in a hurry if yer just commuting and not tossing it at some curves often. I'm running a Michelin Pilot Road 2, which has a touring-based center compund and Pilot Power shoulders, kinda the best of both worlds(not as good as a normal Power for real hooligan action tho, but damn close).

Yamaha makes excellent machines, one of the best engine builders IMO, and they do good with the rest of the bike too I think.

Get thee to a shop and have em check the valves, likely they are fine, but no sense in burning one up...ounce of prevention=pound of cure sorta thing.

Have a look at the brake pads, again ounce/pound thing. Pads are super cheap, rotors will blow yer mind as to how spendy they are.

Do yerself a favor and get some stands http://www.t-rex-racing.com/ is about the cheapest you'll find and they aren't total trash. The "industry standard" is pitbull stands, but I'm happy as a clam with my t-rex stuff. Makes standard maintainence so much easier and when on the stands the bike is really difficult to accidentally knock over.

Look into a battery tender, bike electrical systems on supersports are designed for weight, not really for output, the SS class rocks a minimalist credo and the stator/electrical bits are sometimes a bit weak. A battery tender takes some of the load off a system by making sure the battery is nice and topped off, less strain on the system. A Battery Tender Jr. is only 44 bucks and comes with pigtails you can hardwire into the battery for easy and quick hookup when it's the garage. Also the ECU works a smidge better when seeing a nice even voltage, bike will run a smidge better.

I see that the bike has Keihin carbs, and thats a WONDERFUL thing. My 2001 YZ426F (motocross) bike has the same brand and I am amazed at how beautifully it runs, day in and day out. Carbed bikes of that vintage had em down to a science, so it outta be butter smooth.

That track you mentioned, might wanna roll up to a track day on yer new rig and see if you can pick the brains of a racer or two on suspension matters. Ask about setting it up for public roads/yer weight/yer riding preferences. Someone there will be more than happy to help you out. A properly sorted suspension will make it more fun and safer to ride.

And finally, remember that bike has ~120 hp, weighs all of 400 pounds and has a HUGE performance envelope. If the tires are balanced right and there is not wonky stuff going on with the frame, speed will build in a hurry and it won't feel like yer goin all that fast. I can think of 2-3 production cars that'll hang with that bike in the 1/4 mile and those cars are 700+ horsepower. You have a helluva bike there, respect it please.
    Great info, Dan! I appreciate it.

To go through your post...

The tires are Dragon SuperCorsa up front and Diablo on the back. I'll keep an eye on it for that. Unfortunately I live in a place with lots of flat, straight roads and not much in the way of fun twisties.

I'm hoping to get it into the shop this week for a "once over"/fluid check/overall check out. Anything you can recommend specifically besides the valves and brakes for an R6 with ~12k miles? I'm all about the preventive maint.

I'll definitely get a stand. The stand on this thing is tiny and I'd prefer to put it up if I'm not planning on riding the next day or working on it, etc. Thanks for the info on that one.

The guy also included a Deltran Battery Tender Junior. Is that something you put on whenever you're not riding or just when it'll sit for a few days/week/etc? It's already prewired for it.

I'll probably find either a local sport bike forum or jump on one of the R6 forums and poke around for some knowledgeable locals who would be able to help with the setup. Again, it probably won't be until next spring when I have more time and the dough to have full leathers, spare parts, etc. I'll certainly have some questions and let ya know if/when I go.

Last but not least, with a wife and two kids, the last thing I want to do is leave them missing a father. If I want to go out and really unwind it, it'll be at the track with some twisties and somewhere after a lot more experience. Heck, my first ride on it when I testing it out before laying down the cash was enough to convince me. Damn!! My buddy has a 2002 CBR F4i and it didn't seem as powerful as this R6. (It probably was due to I'm a big wuss.)

Anyway, thanks again and I'll keep ya updated. I saw some new plastic pieces for low prices on eBay. I may look into that as some of mine have some good road rash. There is so much aftermarket stuff for this bike, I don't even know where to start!

Thanks Dan, Randy, Humby and RE. It's a fun, fun time! (And I don't even know how to ride well.)

Ohhhh, Dragon SuperCorsa front? Tasty tire, I had a few of those and loved em, wear out real fast tho.

Uhmm it's a yamaha so not much is going to be going wrong with it at 12k miles. What I'd look at if I were going to try and ride it across the country would be:

Chain and sprockets
    brake pads
    brake lines
    anything vacuum related that has rubber lines
    fork seals
    get it up on stands and check for bearing play in the wheels any "rumble" in the bearings as well
    pull and replace the fuel filter
    pull and check/replace the air filter
    OIL CHANGE. Now. I don't care if you were told it's fresh. CHANGE IT NOW. It's cheap and easy and oil goes bad over time, spin something up to 14k with crap oil and bad things happen.
    lube up the throttle cable
    make sure all the hand controls are good and tight/properly adjusted

*edit*

To the F4i/R6 power thing. The R6 is intended to be a track weapon, it's gonna be more edgy and have more power than a F4i. The F4i is Honda's attempt to "tame" a 600 Supersport for a more docile public road experience. One of the reasons I mentioned it to you, it's a real sweetheart of a bike, whereas the R6 lineup is just nutters.

*edit 2*

The battery tender. You at your discretion. Make sure it's an adaptive charger that checks the battery level before trickle/full charging. Overcharging an AGM battery is never good, it will make it die pretty quickly. You never really want to zap a motorcycle battery with more than 2 amps, have a look at the charger and see what ya have. I slap mine on the adpative charger most everyday, but I have Lucas electronics and ANY help I can give my system is insurance.
    Last edited by brembo; 09-13-08 at 11:04 PM.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Yeah, he said it was a great tire and didn't have the cash to put one on the back. These things are damn near new (3 months old), so once they start getting worn, I'll probably need some direction.

I'll probably just print off this list and make sure they get checked during a big checkup. Getting a used bike, as you said, I want all the fluids changed even though he said he had it done at a bike shop earlier this year. He could have said anything to sell it, of course.

So the F4i is probably just a more tame version of the 600RR? It was pretty fun as it was my first time on a sport bike (or non-H-D for that matter), but I can certainly tell a difference.

The battery tender has the following which seems like it would be safe with the output...

Automatic
    Battery Charger
    model:021-0123
    Output: 12VDC@750mA
    Input: 120VAC@60Hz 12W
    Red Light: Charging
    Green Light: Storage
    Any experience with those gear kits? It's new-in-box and I was thinking of having them install it if they're going to be checking everything out.

Time to go order a stand tonight!

brembo w/ bike advice?

peffff...

stick to your 'uttplug upgrades and leave the riding to the real men

*lots of beer...g'night*

Looking at the T-Rex site, I see some things called "spools". I assume from the description that you have to have those to lift it up with the rear/front stand? Mine doesn't have any. Do you leave them on all the time when you ride?

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?...Fcategory%3D26

So…… any updates on the new toy?

And Brembo, you sure are full of good information for a village idiot.

Doing great! It's only been on its tires so far, so that's a plus.

....Doing great! It's only been on its tires so far, so that's a plus....

Shiny side up, rubber side down. That’s a good motto to keep in mind.

…………. now where’s that wheelie you promised me.

....I wish I could do a birthday wheelie for ya!....

Note the "wish I could do".

Heck, I may have inadvertently done one when I was "testing her out" one day.