Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Metallica Single - The Day that never comes

Post New Metallica Single - The Day that never comes

Just finished listening to it. It's below average to say the least. The song is all over the place and JH's vocals sound awful. I do like the intro, but once JH starts singing it dies quickly. They don't seem to know what to do with the song. It starts out with a Fade to Black vibe and then attempts a One kind of feel and fails badly.

on xm 51 they are play 30 days of metallica 24/7 i heard a few of the new songs they all sux most are slow songs

song sucked

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

They need to remix and release "Muskrat Love".

It would put them back on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    They need to remix and release "Muskrat Love".

It would put them back on the map.
    Taking you seriously for a second, a cover album wouldn't be bad I don't think, they have always done well at covers.

Well the vocals sound like they were made in made in lots of separate pieces, I think the lyrics are a little weak.

The music wasn't horrible, just slower than I would want from them. I hate to do what roody did and compare it to their older material but it does seem like Kirk Hammett's guitar work was a bit out of Trapped Under Ice, only less of an edge of the seat feel, and not so frequent.

Overall I'm happy with the sound of Hetfield's voice, now to wait for somethign heavier to come out.

They played it this morning on the "indie" station I listen to. They will occasionally sway from their typical format and play a Sabbath song, old old Metallica, or Motorhead, that's cool. But this time they have gone too far!

I thought it was good overall...I try not to be too overly critical at first listenings to any music, as I generally do not like anything the first time through. Luckily our local station played it like 3 times in a row and it was sounding much better the third time through. I wouldn't say JH's voice was bad but it has definitely degraded over the years. I thought the speed in the end was good and loved the solos from Hammett.

I'm not much for growlers, but I am wondering if Metallica would sound better at this point in their career if JH added more of the growl again.

After watching a lot of the fly on the wall videos on their site, my take is they spend too much worrying about little stuff and it ends up being a piece meal song instead of one coherent piece. I like the feel of it but I agree with roody it does sound a little too disjointed. Still have hopes for the rest of though. we'll see.

I flipped on the radio about midway thru the song. Said to my passenger "hey this sounds like Metallica, but it sucks." Then the announcer said it was the new one and I now have no urge to purchase the album.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noevo View Post
    After watching a lot of the fly on the wall videos on their site, my take is they spend too much worrying about little stuff and it ends up being a piece meal song instead of one coherent piece.
    The fly on the wall footage also felt heavier. A lot of professionals will worry about small stuff and piecing thigns together to get the song right is ok in the beginning, but they should play it all through for the final recording or in a couple takes. I'm not sure how many they do per song but the footage did give the impression that there are a bunch of pieces in each song.

Quote Originally Posted by brembo View Post
    I flipped on the radio about midway thru the song. Said to my passenger "hey this sounds like Metallica, but it sucks." Then the announcer said it was the new one and I now have no urge to purchase the album.
    I'm not ready to go that far. Alot of CD's have a few bad songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    I'm not ready to go that far. Alot of CD's have a few bad songs.
    I got into Metallica when "Kill Em All" hit. I was a HUGE fan. "Master" was just a better reason to like em later. Then "And Justice" came along, I was waiting in line for that, and boy was I pissed off. I still listen to pre-"Justice" a good bit, but if a newer song pops on the radio, I'll change the station.

See I have a theory....and I'm gonna tell it to ya.

Metal bands CANNOT be successful AND still be what they wanna be. Metallica had some real pent up aggression pior to making it big. It comes across in the music. Dark, heavy and it feels right. When the "big" album happens for a metal bunch they have ONE album left in em. That's because they still have some anger left over, be it worldly issues or dealing with new-found fame. After that, nada...living in the lap of luxury, no real worries to contend with. It sucks the life out of the anger that drove them to make songs with real feeling.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

man its hard to find a good quality downloadable MP3 of this LOL lars should host it from his computer under the username "Napster".

Quote Originally Posted by brembo View Post
    I got into Metallica when "Kill Em All" hit. I was a HUGE fan. "Master" was just a better reason to like em later. Then "And Justice" came along, I was waiting in line for that, and boy was I pissed off. I still listen to pre-"Justice" a good bit, but if a newer song pops on the radio, I'll change the station.

See I have a theory....and I'm gonna tell it to ya.

Metal bands CANNOT be successful AND still be what they wanna be. Metallica had some real pent up aggression pior to making it big. It comes across in the music. Dark, heavy and it feels right. When the "big" album happens for a metal bunch they have ONE album left in em. That's because they still have some anger left over, be it worldly issues or dealing with new-found fame. After that, nada...living in the lap of luxury, no real worries to contend with. It sucks the life out of the anger that drove them to make songs with real feeling.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Personally I loved And Justice For All. It's my favorite Metallica album.

Quote Originally Posted by roody View Post
    i'm not ready to go that far. Alot of cd's have a few bad songs.
    qft

why the hell is the board changing my "QFT" to small letters? that's never happened to me before
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post

There are idiots everywhere.

At work, in forums, in poetry classes, everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Personally I loved And Justice For All. It's my favorite Metallica album.
    Its got some great music on it, would be even better with bass.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoside View Post
    qft

why the hell is the board changing my "QFT" to small letters? that's never happened to me before
    Its an all caps post protection thing.