Thread: This can't be good can it?

Post This can't be good can it?

7 devices shareing IRQ9 no conflicts but 7 devices 1 IRQ

and how would one go about fixing it if device manager refuses to let you? Disable the plug and play bios and reinstall each device? or is it more involved ?
    http://k-9.tierranet.com/fold.gif
    It's Because Light Travels Faster Then Sound That Some People Appear Bright Until They Speak

I had 7 devices sharing IRQ 9 once under Win2K, I hated that. It will slow down your system since the PC has to wait for one device to finish its process before it can start processing another device on the same IRQ. I didn't like that so I reformatted and disabled the ACPI support in the Win2K setup. Now every device has its own IRQ and I'm happy .
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

ya i got like 8 devices sharing irq 11....for some reason win2k likes to do that
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

Broke

Win2k just likes to conserve all the other IRQ's for future expansion.
    stacks 6 things on IRQ 11 for me, how thoughtfull, now if i glue 4 or 5 more PCI slots to my motherboard i have some spare IRQ's to work with.
    Now wont all them IRQ's become awful handy

Here's what i got

"Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Here's mine all nice and tidy

[ 03-01-2001: Message edited by: Prey521 ]
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Floating down a river of Dingleberry Juice

That's crazy!! i'm running win98se and I had my promise ata controller card and my networking card on one irq. Just those two devices sharing caused me many headaches. I know win2000 and 98se are totally differant, but I know that cant be good.

good luck
    MSI 845 Ultra-ARU
    p4 1.8a @ 47 BILLION
    radeon8500 (4 HS's)
    2 80gig WD se's raid0/120gig WD
    30gigWD/15gigMaxtor/1.2gig WD
    512megs corsair pc3000xms

Originally posted by onetrueday:
    That's crazy!! i'm running win98se and I had my promise ata controller card and my networking card on one irq. Just those two devices sharing caused me many headaches. I know win2000 and 98se are totally differant, but I know that cant be good.

good luck
    Win2k doesn't seem to have any problems running multiple devices on a single IRQ like Win9x/ME does/can. It hasn't been a problem for me and I've been running 2k on at least one of my PCs since the second beta.

HELLO ppl, it's called ACPI.. heh it's supposed to and it doesn't cause problems at ALL, hell i'm running a matrox g400 dual head, the most IRQ crazed card ever made and it has NO problems. get it? hehe. it's supposed to do that. u can disable acpi when u first install win2k but i'd recommend against it..
    amro.co, github.com/amro

Exclamation

yeah duuuhh, sheeesh.

doesnt bother me none, gotta love USB.
    asdf?

Cool

Like they said it will slow ur pc down, and can cause massive conflicts. I had a ATi Rage Fury pro on irq 11. removed it and put in a Geforce2 MX and then my system always froze cuz the card, and 10/100 card were both on 11. I just put it on a different pci slot and now it works. But if it isn't that slow, dont fix it cuz there will always be a problem. PeACe
    "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift."--Steve Prefontaine

Telocity_2001

Question

[IMG]C:\My Documents\Outbox\sysin.jpg[/IMG]

How does this look? I don't know what it's about! I'm running Win98SE!

Telocity_2001

Telocity_2001

Lord have mercy, I'm new here and have no idea how to post a pic!!!! LOL...can some please help me!

Regards,
    Abe

If it's not causing you problems, don't mess with it.

Smile

lol, you got the tags correct but it has to be on the internet NOT your computer.
    asdf?

Ok i been haveing one problem running games under win2k and was wondering since ethernet video and audio share the same IRQ could this be the reason my games crash on me and force a memory dump? regardless I am going to reinstall win2k this afternoon when I get back home. when does the option to disable the ACPI support come up durring the installation process so I will know when to look for it and not miss it. Ever since I installed win2k I been haveing little hickups pauses in the system when doing stuff netstat looks like its monitoring a heart instead of my internet connection and games crash on me. All I can figure is its thise farking IRQ shareing thats going on. I really apreciate all the replys and pics so I have an idea of what IRQ's can be used for what device. Thanks peeps.

[ 03-02-2001: Message edited by: -Knine- ]
    http://k-9.tierranet.com/fold.gif
    It's Because Light Travels Faster Then Sound That Some People Appear Bright Until They Speak

Originally posted by messiah:
    If you want to control your IRQ's in WIN2K
    you can:

disable ACPI in bios
    Reinstall Win2K
    During setup, hit F5(when prompted to add SCSI device drivers. First 10sec of installation)
    Select STANDARD PC from the submenu

This improved my IRQ assignment in Win2K

In most mobo's your PCI Slot 5 shares with your USB.

I have some links if you want them

hey, acpi doesn't hurt a thing heh. i haven't had problems. the 'gaming' problems you're suffering from are because win2k isn't FOR gaming. heh q3 and starcraft..things like that are fine but many games don't work.. acpi doesn't slow anything down and if you disable, have fun returning to the manual days of nt4. heh.

later,
    Amro
    amro.co, github.com/amro

Originally posted by W. Abra:
    Lord have mercy, I'm new here and have no idea how to post a pic!!!! LOL...can some please help me!

Regards,
    Abe
    Use the img UBB tags and a place that allows external links.

e.g. [_img]url-here[_img]
    Note: nix the underscores