Thread: Time Warner Cable internet problems.

Question Time Warner Cable internet problems.

I exchange a new modem today, same brand same model Ambit Model U10C018, problem still the same. ISP Time Warner Cable South Cali, suddenly for the past week modem act up. When Im playing a game or dowlnoad 2 file at same time or suffing the web my "Ready" light is blinking and lose connection, i had to unplug the power and replug it back on in order to get it work again but again thing I do it cause problems over again. Somehow the "Ready" light is blinking but Sync is solid. I call in for phone techical support they test it out and they told me it a clean line?! I do myself some testing. I dont know why it just suddenly crappy unreliable connection, do you think it the Server near my area got problem or my 7 year old splitter outside got problem? It seem like im loosing signal?

Tracing route to timewarnercable.net [198.41.1.40]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 21 ms 12 ms 12 ms cpe-72-134-48-1.socal.res.rr.com [72.134.48.1]
    3 12 ms 11 ms 12 ms 24.30.163.118
    4 * 18 ms 18 ms tge4-0-2.lsanca4-rtr1.socal.rr.com [24.30.162.23
    3]
    5 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms so-2-3-0.cr0.dfw10.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.102]
    6 14 ms 15 ms 15 ms ae-0-0.pr0.lax00.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.135]
    7 17 ms 19 ms 15 ms 66.109.9.206
    8 * * NetworkSolutions.s2-1-0.ar1.WDC2.gblx.net [64.213.176.34]
    reports: Destination net unreachable.

I type in 192.168.100.1 to get into my model:
    Cable Modem Event Log:
    Time Not Established Time Not Established 8 Critical (3) 68000300 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Time Not Established Time Not Established 2 Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 84000200 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...
    Time Not Established Time Not Established 1 Critical (3) 82000200 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Time Not Established Time Not Established 59 Critical (3) 84000100 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...

Cable Modem Status
    Item Status Comments
    Acquire a Downstream Channel 651000000 Hz Locked
    Connectivity State OK Operational
    Boot State OK Operational
    Security Enabled BPI+

Cable Modem Downstream
    Downstream Lock : Locked
    Downstream Channel Id : 46
    Downstream Frequency :
    Downstream Modulation : QAM256
    Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360537
    Downstream Interleave Depth : 32
    Downstream Receive Power Level : -5.5 dBmV
    Downstream SNR : 36.4 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
    Upstream Lock : Locked
    Upstream Channel ID : 1
    Upstream Frequency :
    Upstream Modulation : QAM16
    Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
    Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.5 dBmV
    Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 4

I'm having this *exact* same issue, which started on Friday night. If I download anything large, at around 1GB I get disconnected. The "Ready" light starts flashing and I have to reset the modem but after that it's fine until I start doing heavy downloading again.

I've had TWC since February of 2007 but this started out of nowhere! Let me know if you make any progress, and I'll do the same.

I am also in SoCal (Los Angeles)

i haven't tried calling today, but when I called TWC tech support for another reason there is a recording that they are aware of a problem in our area (SoCal).

Dont try to use online email tech support they sux totally, 1 email each day for 5 days. Everyday almost all the same question, except maybe 1 question but different concept. Day 1. I email them tell them about my problem they told me delete cookies, default all internet security to Default and so on etc..
    Day 2. They told me to tracert www.google.com
    Day 3. They told me to tracert www.yahoo.com and ping -n 50 www.yahoo.com
    Day 4. They ask when did my problem happen. and is my modem provided by them and is it wireless?
    Day 5. Thank god no more pinging or tracert but asking same question on Day 4.
    Day 6. I quit, none i gave up no more send email, it probably same question again.

BTW my internet somehow a bit stable now it about 60% reliable, before when I download a file somewhere about 250MB i get dc, but lately I can download 2 file at same time no dc but after 3-4 file complete problem come back, yesterday I can download up to 6 file that is 1.3GB and that it. How about you guys?

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    My one buddy was having all sorts of ping promblems with time warner ,and blizzarad sent techs out twice didnt' fix it. Same thing they told him it's a clean line ,and all that good luck
    Comptia a+ n+

same problem

Yep I'm having the same problem, though it seems like mine is random, it generally works fine, under heavy load or no load. but out of nowhere it would disconnect, the ready light would flash, and i would have to manually restart the modem (unplug and plug). in the LA area as well. just got time warner, and this problem is pretty annoying... Let me know if theres any fix for this or if you know why its doing it.

I got a techincian come over yesterday he test out my cable line and say my signal was just a "bit" weak, he help me boost it up but i dont see anything different some number just going down and some up. He told me there is 3 way splitter outside my home and he say my line was on the low end db so he swap me to higher splitter. Then he go to outside street and check on the pole he told me there is 2 way split so meaning 1 way to my home 1 way to other place then he say the pole is soo old and rusty, i guess the best bet excuse he can come up with. Never the less problem still the same didnt fix at all. Im starting thinking this modem is sux lol, i mean i go check online and I see alots of thread talk about this modem about having same cable log error also many more error, i might go back to payment center later on and ask to exchange to different modem instead give me the same brand and model number again, hopefully they have Motorola SB5101 cable modem available, it all about your luck to get the modem you want.

Well i decided to send an online email tech support asking a different questions: Why my modem is gathering upstream parameters. I got the reply quick this time.

------------------------
    Hello

Thank you for your inquiry.

Based on the diagnostics we are running, as well as the ones you have
    posted, it appears your cable line is healthy. As you have expressed
    that this most often happens while heavily utilizing your upload it is
    possible the modem's firmware / hardware is having trouble handling it.

We recommend you take the cable modem and it's power supply down to the
    local office and request an exchange.

My 2 cents worth

I'm having the *same* issues. I have the same model Ambit Model U10C018 cable modem, have Time Warner Cable, live in SoCal (Redlands), am experiencing intermittent connection failure. I have suffered with this problem on/off for about 4 months and it's getting worse. First thought it was my router [linksys] but after exchanging it and then bypassing it all together it's clearly the modem. I have waisted countless hrs on the phone with tech *cough* support. I have had the tech come to my house twice and replaced the modem now three times total. Each replacement would last a few weeks but then start dropping again. My first modem was some name less old relic that failed in what seems to be the same fashion. The last 3 modems all have been Ambit Model U10C018. This current one started failing within 48hrs!

For what it's worth I'm running XP SP2 on an eMachines T2893

Cable Modem Information
    Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
    MAC Address : 00:1f:**:**:**:**
    Serial Number : 001FE174****
    Boot Code Version : 2.1.6d
    Software Version : 2.93.1008
    Hardware Version : 1.20

Cable Modem Status
    Item Status Comments
    Acquire a Downstream Channel 705000000 Hz Locked
    Security Enabled BPI+

Cable Modem Downstream
    Downstream Lock : Locked
    Downstream Channel Id : 1
    Downstream Frequency :
    Downstream Modulation : QAM256
    Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360537
    Downstream Interleave Depth : 32
    Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.1 dBmV
    Downstream SNR : 40.5 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
    Upstream Lock : Locked
    Upstream Channel ID : 41
    Upstream Frequency :
    Upstream Modulation : QAM16
    Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
    Upstream transmit Power Level : 53.8 dBmV
    Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Modulation Type QPSK QPSK QPSK 16QAM 16QAM
    Differential Encoding Off Off Off Off Off
    Preamble Length 64 640 384 192 192
    Preamble Value Offset 652 6 6 728 728
    FEC Error Correction (T) 0 5 5 6 8
    FEC Codeword Information Bytes (k) 16 34 34 75 220
    Scrambler Seed 338 338 338 338 338
    Maximum Burst Size 2 0 0 7 0
    Guard Time Size 8 48 48 8 8
    Last Codeword Length Fixed Fixed Fixed Short Short
    Scrambler on/off On On On On On

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
    Network Access : Allowed
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 0
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 0
    Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 0
    Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
    Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Enabled

Here are a few more pieces to add to the puzzle:
    1. When the modem is about to fail I will still receive about 10 seconds of packets but cant send out. I can see my online gamer friends cursing my Internet connection or if on skype I can hear them but cant talk.

2. When the modem is reset it will spend about 20-30 min trying to connect or sometimes hrs. My event log looks like a lot like Unixsac's. I have watched-refreshed the event log during this period and nearly the entire time is spent with this error:

Time Not Established Time Not Established 12 Critical (3) 68000100 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received

During this time the modem ready light is flashing, the sync light is solid and the recv light is flashing.

I now believe that the intermittent drops might be related to periodic maintenance between the modem and the CMTS. ??
    Then again it might still be something on my end....
    {humm maybe the 4th exchange will work...lol}

Thanks to anyone who might have a clue and post a response.

Yesterday another Tech come to my house and told me he already encounter couples home has the same problem as I do. He made couples call and told me there is an upgrade and add service near my area, i dont know what he mean but he say they adding extra channel and prepare next near Digital, some will get affective but not all. It seem I get very high chance disconnect when im downloading a file. I ask him when will the service back to normal he say he dont know, nothing he can do about my situation. Check out this website, they already have massive peoples complaint already. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cable,rr
    At the end TWC doing somthing wrong to every one in SoCal.

Well the tech just leave 20 min ago, he came over and told me i have a beautiful signal, then he go outside the street electric poll and check somthing up there he told me nothing wrong. He exchange me a DCM 425 and he try to convince me that he had this modem for year and nothing wrong with it. As for my issue he say, it probably the modem OR the power core, sometime the power core input more electric or less electric cause the problem. He left me a bussiness card of his Technical Operations Supervisor number and get in touch with him then he will come out again, if there is any problem in 3-4 weeks. And come to think of it, I think it the power core, I had same issue with the older version of Ambit the gray one.

I have the same problem...(not a tech)

I live in Orange County California and also am having this problem. I have Time Warner Cable internet and pay for the medium speed which most of the time my speed is very good but this problem occurs every single night after 1am. I am usually playing Call of Duty on my Ps3 at this time, cable connection, not wireless and usually starting around 1:15am and happening about ever 20 to 30 minutes my modem's cable light will go off, my connection will be dropped and the modem cable light will remain off anywhere from 15 seconds to sometime a minute and a half. I will then have to completely log out of my game/ps3 and restart everything.
    Now I will say flat out I am not a tech and have a great aptitude for troubleshooting but this is not my ballpark by no means. I have called time warner about this problem well over 30 times in the past year, speaking to tech 1's thru 3's and getting nowhere with my service. Now if I had another option of high speed internet in my area the problem would have already been solve by switching providers but in my area I am S.O.L. I have had 3 techs from time warner come out including a senior/supervisor field tech and every time they come check all connections, run tests and tell me they dont see a problem which I expect because they run the tests during the day when the problem is not happening. Time warner refuses to send anyone out that late and so I am stuck in a huge catch 22. I have even gone as far as writting letters to the Office of the President of time warner with no response, apologies or solutions. Can anyone help?
    Based on what I have researched on my own and from the hours spent with techs at time warner what seems to be happening is at these times during the night, local businesses back up large bursts of data at night at short intervals. Somehow when these bursts of data are transmitted I am on the same bandwith/frequency and I get kicked/paused for this interval because business static Ip's have priority. (please correct me if I am using incorrect terminology) It was told that time warner has to come out and replace a hub and reprogram the frequencies that my line works on and this was told to me by a very knowledgable tech from time warner who I spent over an hour and a half with running ideas and info back and forth. Now every other tech I have talked to says this is not right and pretty much is at the point of saying I am making all of this up. They will not help me anymore and this problem is going on over a year. Anyone????

I have the same problem...(not a tech)

I live in Orange County California and also am having this problem. I have Time Warner Cable internet and pay for the medium speed which most of the time my speed is very good but this problem occurs every single night after 1am. I am usually playing Call of Duty on my Ps3 at this time, cable connection, not wireless and usually starting around 1:15am and happening about ever 20 to 30 minutes my modem's cable light will go off, my connection will be dropped and the modem cable light will remain off anywhere from 15 seconds to sometime a minute and a half. I will then have to completely log out of my game/ps3 and restart everything.
    Now I will say flat out I am not a tech and have a great aptitude for troubleshooting but this is not my ballpark by no means. I have called time warner about this problem well over 30 times in the past year, speaking to tech 1's thru 3's and getting nowhere with my service. Now if I had another option of high speed internet in my area the problem would have already been solve by switching providers but in my area I am S.O.L. I have had 3 techs from time warner come out including a senior/supervisor field tech and every time they come check all connections, run tests and tell me they dont see a problem which I expect because they run the tests during the day when the problem is not happening. Time warner refuses to send anyone out that late and so I am stuck in a huge catch 22. I have even gone as far as writting letters to the Office of the President of time warner with no response, apologies or solutions. Can anyone help?
    Based on what I have researched on my own and from the hours spent with techs at time warner what seems to be happening is at these times during the night, local businesses back up large bursts of data at night at short intervals. Somehow when these bursts of data are transmitted I am on the same bandwith/frequency and I get kicked/paused for this interval because business static Ip's have priority. (please correct me if I am using incorrect terminology) It was told that time warner has to come out and replace a hub and reprogram the frequencies that my line works on and this was told to me by a very knowledgable tech from time warner who I spent over an hour and a half with running ideas and info back and forth. Now every other tech I have talked to says this is not right and pretty much is at the point of saying I am making all of this up. They will not help me anymore and this problem is going on over a year. Anyone????

Test Results

I ran a test at Http://voiptest.packet8.net/ and here are my results..

Download Speed 9549152 bps
    Upload Speed 974304 bps
    Dowload Quality of service 85%
    Upload Quality of Service 97%
    Maximum TCP delay 83ms
    Average download pause 4ms
    Minimum round trip time to server 42ms
    Average round Trip time to server 45ms
    Estimated download bandwidth 33600000bps
    Download TCP forced idle 66%
    Number of VoIP lines supported 47

VoIP test statistics

Jitter: you -> server 4.2 ms
    Jitter: server -> you 3.9ms
    Packet loss you -> server 0.0%
    Packet loss: server -> you 0.0%
    Packet discards 0.0%
    Packets out of order 0.0%
    Estimated MOS score 4.0

Beginning test, ip=63.209.12.245, port=UDP-20000...
    Found server, sending data...
    Finished test, obtaining results...
    0 28 0
    1 28 0
    2 35 16
    3 41 16
    4 41 16
    5 64 32
    6 70 32
    7 70 47
    8 70 47
    9 70 47
    10 83 63
    11 83 63
    12 99 79
    13 99 79
    14 99 79
    15 112 94
    16 118 94
    17 131 110
    18 131 110
    19 131 110
    20 150 125
    21 150 125
    22 160 141
    23 160 141
    24 160 141
    25 176 157
    26 176 157
    27 195 172
    28 195 172
    29 195 172
    30 208 188
    31 208 188
    32 224 204
    33 224 204
    34 224 204
    35 454 422
    36 454 422
    37 454 422
    38 454 422
    39 454 422
    40 455 422
    41 455 422
    42 455 422
    43 455 422
    44 455 422
    45 455 422
    46 455 422
    47 460 422
    48 460 422
    49 461 422
    50 461 422
    51 461 422
    52 461 422
    53 461 422
    54 461 422
    55 468 422
    56 468 422
    57 468 422
    58 468 422
    59 468 438
    60 468 438
    61 468 438
    62 468 438
    63 468 438
    64 468 438
    65 468 438
    66 468 438
    67 468 438
    68 468 438
    69 473 438
    70 473 438
    71 473 438
    72 473 454
    73 474 454
    74 474 454
    75 489 469
    76 489 469
    77 502 485
    78 502 485
    79 508 485
    80 518 500
    81 525 500
    82 534 516
    83 534 516
    84 534 516
    85 563 532
    86 563 532
    87 569 547
    88 569 547
    89 569 547
    90 582 563
    91 582 563
    92 598 579
    93 598 579
    94 598 579
    95 614 594
    96 614 594
    97 630 610
    98 630 610
    99 630 610
    Upstream Loss: 0.0% (=0/1600)
    Upstream Order: 100.0% (=2558400/2558400)
    Upstream Jitter: ave=4.29ms, max=36.961875ms
    Downstream Loss: 0.0% (=0/1600)
    Downstream Order: 100.0% (=2558400/2558400)
    Downstream Jitter: ave=3.97ms, max=63.754374999999996ms

and here is the info from my Netgear

Startup Procedure
    Procedure Status Comment
    Acquire Downstream Channel 699000000 Hz Locked
    Configuration File OK
    Security Enabled BPI+
    Downstream Channel
    Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM256
    Channel ID 67 Symbol rate 5360537
    Downstream Frequency 699000000 Hz Downstream Power 8.8 dBmV
    SNR 38.2 dBmV
    Upstream Channel
    Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM16
    Channel ID 10 Symbol rate 2560 Ksym/sec
    Upstream Frequency 21000000 Hz Upstream Power 41.3 dBmV

My modems event log from tonight

Here is my event log from just tonight... look at all the timeouts...

Sun Nov 22 12:05:54 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Sun Nov 22 12:05:46 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Sun Nov 22 11:07:46 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Sun Nov 22 10:53:52 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Sun Nov 22 10:53:46 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Sun Nov 22 10:35:52 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Sun Nov 22 10:35:47 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Sun Nov 22 10:29:52 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Sun Nov 22 10:29:47 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Sun Nov 22 09:59:46 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Sun Nov 22 09:54:37 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Sun Nov 22 09:54:31 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Fri Nov 20 11:34:30 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Fri Nov 20 11:34:22 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Tue Nov 17 10:52:40 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Tue Nov 17 10:52:36 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Mon Nov 16 08:47:51 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Mon Nov 16 08:47:44 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Mon Nov 16 08:44:51 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Mon Nov 16 08:44:43 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Mon Nov 16 08:24:49 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Mon Nov 16 08:24:44 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Mon Nov 16 08:23:41 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Mon Nov 16 08:23:36 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Sun Nov 15 12:15:49 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Sun Nov 15 12:15:43 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Sun Nov 15 11:01:50 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Sun Nov 15 11:01:42 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
    Sun Nov 15 09:46:48 2009 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    Sun Nov 15 09:46:43 2009 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out