Thread: Nuclear Info

Nuclear Info

[ link ]

Does a fantastic job of summing things up. There is a video of them testing waste storage containers, trying to find it.

I really wish we as a country would embrace nuclear power. Then we could have eletric cars that are approcahing "zero" emissions. Electric bills would plummet, would free up more oil reserves for heavy transport and industrial uses. The NIMBY folks need to see stuff like this.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Thanks for posting that Shagster. I like the way that professor explained the process of a nuclear reactor.

France has used nuclear energy since the 80's and supply a large quantity of their electric. The majority of the junk left over is used for medical supplies and military. So while the waste is an issue it would still be significantly easier guarding a few reactors than the hole middle eastern area as well as out country.

Quote Originally Posted by R0cke113 View Post
    France has used nuclear energy since the 80's and supply a large quantity of their electric. The majority of the junk left over is used for medical supplies and military. So while the waste is an issue it would still be significantly easier guarding a few reactors than the hole middle eastern area as well as out country.
    Yes France does but it's not without a few problems that go with it. They get almost 80 percent of their electricity from nuclear power and have only reciently had any prolems with leaks. Thats the kicker. You have to have a 100 percent safety recored when it comes to nuclear power or public opinion can change overnight.

They do reprocess spent rods and also do so for other countries but there's still a waste problem to deal with.

Before I get the third degree, I've always been for more nuclear power generating plants in this country.

There's a company that wants to build a huge one next to the Snake River not far from me and I'm all for it.

America is starting up reprocessing again.

Also, both McCain and Obama are pro nuclear. Obama is a bit more silent about it as it causes issues in topics surrounding the Democratic party. I recall him saying that he is for a mix of all the power types to suit American needs, "There is no silver bullet" was his how he referred to the topic.

Yeah I think your right on Obama real stance.

The thing is, even environmentalists are starting to jump on the nuke wagon for the simple fact that it causes zero green house gas emissions.

I would not agree with placing a facility next to a river, but I am all for building a couple. Maybe they could find a way to power space shuttles with it and send it to space.??? Regardless it is crucial to put it away form people and natural resources like rivers and any body of water for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by R0cke113 View Post
    I would not agree with placing a facility next to a river, but I am all for building a couple.
    Why do you think most of them are next to a water source?

(Hint: It gets really, really warm.)

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
    Why do you think most of them are next to a water source?

(Hint: It gets really, really warm.)
    It has a huge impact on the immediate surrounding area. The water that comes out is very warm. I'd go as far as saying..rather hot. I know this because I live across a bay from one. I was just up by the release gates with my boat last week...fishing. Sitting on the bow of my boat with my feet hanging in the water.

Growing up on the shoreline...basically spending all my growing up time on the beach, in the water, diving, water sports, swimming, etc...I'm very aware of the local habitat, and what normally is under the ocean surface. Lets just say...the surrounding area of this hot water runoff damn...is rather..unique.

So..putting a nuke plant on a river....that river will be changed forever. Same with shoreline ones on the ocean...as I live right next to.

That said...I am pro-nuke plants, I recently moved right by one...I can see it right across the cove from my front porch, I boat nearby it, and I pay my electricity bill to them (enjoying low rates). I do believe they're safe..else I wouldn't live right by one. But I do think, if we're to build more, that they can do things to lessen their impact on the local habitat. Such as the situation I describe...somehow cool off their discarded water substantially more. It's a huge...HUGE volume of hot water that pours over the 2x damns I was up by with my boat.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!