Thread: Problem with Dell Inspiron 1000

Problem with Dell Inspiron 1000

If anyone is willing to give me any pointers in diagnosing this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Dell inspiron 1000. All of a sudden when I turn on my computer it goes to a blank screen. Power is getting to the computer. When I boot up with the recovery CD in the drive, I can see there is activity from the CD Rom lights indicate the computer is processing something, but not for very long. When I take out the CD, there is no processing going on at all, no lights blinking or anything (other then the power light). The computer is on and running b/c I can hear the fan and the computer starts to get hot. Any ideas? Could this be the hard drive?

Other notes:
    1) I recently reformatted a couple times, hard drive seemed to be getting worse recently
    2) Computer has some overheating issues.

Thoughts? Anything would be appreciated!!

Try an external monitor to see if the back light failed on the display or if the display/video card has failed completely. A can of compressed air for cleaning PCs works well for blowing the dust out of the cooling ducts.
    I don't know the same things you don't know.

Tried that

Did not work on a external monitor....any other ideas?

Thanks!

Laptops can be a bitch to diagnose and or fix. I have an Inspiron 5100 here that won't post, pretty much just a door stop now. I'll take the RAM and hard drive out and maybe reuse it. Anyway take the hard drive out if you think it may be bad, its not needed for a PC to post. Re-seat the RAM while you are at it. Other than that there isn't much you can do, you can't easily swap out components like you can on a desktop PC. My best guess is the video card has died. Thats just a quess though based on you saying you think its trying to read the cd-rom. Do you here any beeps when you try to turn it on?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Laptops can be a bitch to diagnose and or fix. I have an Inspiron 5100 here that won't post, pretty much just a door stop now. I'll take the RAM and hard drive out and maybe reuse it. Anyway take the hard drive out if you think it may be bad, its not needed for a PC to post. Re-seat the RAM while you are at it. Other than that there isn't much you can do, you can't easily swap out components like you can on a desktop PC. My best guess is the video card has died. Thats just a quess though based on you saying you think its trying to read the cd-rom. Do you here any beeps when you try to turn it on?
    Thanks for your help.....Took out HD and re-seated the RAM but it didn't post. No beeps when I turned it on at all, does that mean anything?

A beep or beeps is usually better than no beeps at all. The beep code can tell you what hardware went south and if its possibly worth trying to fix. For example replacing the RAM would be an easy fix if you knew that was what was faulty. Even replacing the processor might be doable if you knew for sure that was the fault. Right now you don't know, it could be a motherboard fault from overheating etc. Mine has a motherboard fault and isn't worth fixing, better off buying a new laptop. Which is what my father did, it was his. It's no easy feat taking a laptop apart. Wish I could be more help but you are basically in the worse case scenario, a no post condition.