Thread: Idea for an Engine

Idea for an Engine

At work my buds and I (3 IT nerds) where talking about an idea for an engine for use in space. This engine would not expel any burn gas or spent propellant of any kind. The idea is as follows.

You take a flat sheet of metal with 3 sides. Yes it's a triangle, but on each of the end points, you have a gyro that spins. to begin with all three gyros are spinning in sync. The triangle sheet should remain in one place.

Our discussion we disagree on is if you speed up or slow down any one of the three gyros. The two gyros remaining in sync should not move from their axis. The one gyro that is slower or faster then the two stable gryos should move it's point in orbit of the two stable gyros.

Say at 180 degrees of rotation the three gyros are again set in sync, then one of the 1st two gyros that did not change speed is then sped up or slowed down to change to a new direction. By alternating which gyro you control you can in theory control the triangles direction of flight.

Like placing a triangle on a table and flipping it around in effort to move it across the table.

Personally I think you will have a triangle spinning all nice and pretty in space, but not going anywhere. Both my buds disagree with different lines of reasoning.

What do you all think?
    Discuss
    USAF RETIRED

Your right, they're wrong.

Advanced Member
    Your right that will cause no forward movement. The Fucus Fusion plant is the perfect engine for interstelar space travel as the engine(plant) is fed by its own power generation. Its the perfect chain reaction that is totally clean and as safe as you microwave in your home.

Now we just need the government to stop hiding the little know technology instead of funding the more elaborate reactors that have less of a chance of succeding. Z-Pinch and the other one in France have yet to produce the temps it takes for nuclear type sustained chain reaction yet fucus fusion has exceded it and yet it will only be the size of your local gas station.

It can in theroy spew out protons at 10,000 mph if set up in a space craft type configuration. My guess is that the government has already stolen the idea and that is what is in all those monsterous flying black triangles that have been spotted all across the world by many police units.

I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination but I'd agree with you also. That would be great for guidance but not for thrust.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    A gyro is resistant to movement on its axis. It is not resistant to movement parallel to its plane...so it can be moved. Picture a bicycle....once up to speed..the gyro effect of the weels resist it falling over. But it easily moves forward and back.

So IMO slowing down one of the gyros...would not make the triangular sheet move at all..but it would make the corner of the triangle that had the slower gyro more easily moved than the other 2 corners.

But...what energy source is used to maintain the gyros spinning?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I don't think you'll be going anywhere fast. IMO the future of sublight propulsion is Ion Engines, powered by either nuclear reactors OR (when they develop this), fusion. A fusion powered ion engine would be killer.
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    But...what energy source is used to maintain the gyros spinning?
    We talked about placing solar pannels on each side of the triangle. But I think geting the dang thing to move is more important then what powers it. plus the exactness need to control each gyros speed up and down, seems just impractical.
    USAF RETIRED

Cool read about fusion power over at Wikipedia. We talked about this last night at work.
    USAF RETIRED