Thread: Which Cable TV package should I go with

Which Cable TV package should I go with

As you know, I'm moving this month, and I'm going over all my utilities and such at the new place. Where I will be moving my only option for TV and Internet is with Charter Cable. I am going to get the fastest Internet Package available in my area there known as Internet Plus (10mb download), so that's set.

What I am debating on is the TV package. Firstly, I only have 1 27" CRT TV (its got a flat screen, but it is not a flat panel, good ole CRT, but its digital). Right now where I live I have Standard Cable with 70 channels, no digital TV, no DVR. Where I am moving to though, the packages are cheaper, and I have more affordable options if I want digital TV and or DVR. So that's what I'm trying to decide on. This is what it boils down to with prices:

Standard Cable 70 channels + Internet Plus = $75 a month
    Digital Home Cable 100+ channels + Internet Plus = $80 a month
    Digital Home Cable 100+ channels + DVR + Internet Plus = $97 a month

There is only a $5 jump to go digital cable, but do I really need it? Then there is a larger $17 jump to get DVR with that digital cable, which would be neat to have, but again, do I need it?

So I guess I'm trying to decide, Standard Cable, or Digital Cable or Digital Cable + DVR

What are some benefits/caveats going with digital cable?
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

You dont need any of it, go with what you want and can afford, DVR is very nice, but if the shows you watch are carried in the ondemand service of the digital cable package you could then watch them there and wouldn't require a dvr if you missed the air date/time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    As you know, I'm moving this month, and I'm going over all my utilities and such at the new place. Where I will be moving my only option for TV and Internet is with Charter Cable. I am going to get the fastest Internet Package available in my area there known as Internet Plus (10mb download), so that's set.

What I am debating on is the TV package. Firstly, I only have 1 27" CRT TV (its got a flat screen, but it is not a flat panel, good ole CRT, but its digital). Right now where I live I have Standard Cable with 70 channels, no digital TV, no DVR. Where I am moving to though, the packages are cheaper, and I have more affordable options if I want digital TV and or DVR. So that's what I'm trying to decide on. This is what it boils down to with prices:

Standard Cable 70 channels + Internet Plus = $75 a month
    Digital Home Cable 100+ channels + Internet Plus = $80 a month
    Digital Home Cable 100+ channels + DVR + Internet Plus = $97 a month

There is only a $5 jump to go digital cable, but do I really need it? Then there is a larger $17 jump to get DVR with that digital cable, which would be neat to have, but again, do I need it?

So I guess I'm trying to decide, Standard Cable, or Digital Cable or Digital Cable + DVR

What are some benefits/caveats going with digital cable?
    i don't know. do you? all you need is air/food/water.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    You dont need any of it, go with what you want and can afford, DVR is very nice, but if the shows you watch are carried in the ondemand service of the digital cable package you could then watch them there and wouldn't require a dvr if you missed the air date/time.
    Oh, I didn't know On Demand could work like that....
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Oh, I didn't know On Demand could work like that....
    for the first 6 or 12 months there should be some promotional offer that you could get a bunch of stuff for a fairly low price so you could try it out and see if you like it.

My digital cable is a joke. Sure now I have on demand channels and music channels, but the digital channels are the same as the standard tier. In other words, now I have 2 channels of most everything showing the samething on each of the two channels.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Direct TV
    Now, Hank, touch your throat. That tube you feel is your trachea. Think of it as your handle. That thing your thumb is on is your carotid artery. Think of it as your button. I want you to grab the handle, push the button.
    -Brock Samson

only you know how you like to watch televison. What kind of tv do you have? HD? Do you always catch the shows you want to see when they are being broadcast? etc.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

As you know I'm a human, and I like to eat food. I have been going over my options at the local grocery store and it seems that I have some options when it comes to feeding myself.

What I'm debating is if I should go with a liquid diet (soups, shakes, etc...) or a more solid food type. I'm worried that I might overwork my jaw muscles and teeth on the solid plan. I also worry that the liquid diet may cause excessive water retention and atrophied jaw muscles. I just can't decide.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Quote Originally Posted by brembo View Post
    As you know I'm a human, and I like to eat food. I have been going over my options at the local grocery store and it seems that I have some options when it comes to feeding myself.

What I'm debating is if I should go with a liquid diet (soups, shakes, etc...) or a more solid food type. I'm worried that I might overwork my jaw muscles and teeth on the solid plan. I also worry that the liquid diet may cause excessive water retention and atrophied jaw muscles. I just can't decide.
    - Reps for being a smartass.
    SG Sh!!t List

Bouncer, downhill, John, Kip Patterson, Roody, YeOldeStonecat, Ken, Philip, David, Indy, Noevo.