Thread: Can Illegal Cable hookup affect cable internet?

Can Illegal Cable hookup affect cable internet?

We do pay for cable but we also have it hooked up in 3 other rooms, which we don't pay for. I was wondering if that would affect out internet?

Also, I go outside to check my wires and such and I don't seem to see a splitter, or at least not a splitter I know of. I think the cable internet and cable tv are connected seperately though. Should I buy a splitter and connect them both to that?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    It depends on your ISP and their policies. Most ISPs don't mind you using a router to share your internet connection with several PCs in your house. (actually...I've never run across an ISP that does mind..and I work with a LOT of different ISPs for my job).
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I mean illegal Cable TV that is hooked up to 4 seperate rooms. I heard that having all those wires and splitters in the house can affect the internet, which could be causing my problems. I'm simply trying to eliminate all possibilities because my ISP will not help me get to the bottom of this. They have apparently giving up.

Dunno if I'd call them "illegal TVs"....I've not seen cable companies limit how many TV's you can run in your household either...within reason. We have 4 in our home. Extra "cable boxes"...yes...but plain TVs using just the basic channels...IMO they don't care.

Having extra "connections" in your house does require that the cable and splitters be setup properly though. You want your internet cable modem as the very first split off...so it gets maximum signal. You don't want your internet cable modem connected to splitters daisy chaned to other splitters.

Each splitter causes a signal strength drop. Each TV causes a drop.

Where the line comes into the house..go into a brand new 2x way splitter...1 going to the cable modem..and 1 going to another say...4 or 5 way splitter. This way your cable modem is the first device on your incoming line..maximum signal strength. Plug your TV connections into that 4 or 5 way splitter.

Now..depending on the "node" you're on...and the quality of lines in your home..they may also have to put in a "booster"..if your signal strength isn't good enough.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

It's set up like this:

On the outside of my house, the cable tv and modem lines are plugged into 2 seperate things, they don't look like splitters, but a metal thing, each with 2 ends. The cable internet line runs by itself and into my modem. So I guess that means that my cable internet is only split once? Perhaps a high quality splitter replacement would help resolve my problems?

My house is weird though. I swear that every tv has a tint of green in it which makes me think that EMI or something is screwing my stuff up, internet included.. I have no idea what could cause this all throughout a house but I definitely notice some problems.

Oh yeah and my tv hook up is: 1 splitter downstairs for 2 rooms and another splitter upstairs for another 2 rooms.
    Last edited by UltimateHigh1; 07-15-08 at 03:41 AM.

Anything like this?
    http://www.ab-av.com/index/images/stories/HS2.jpg

If the picture is unsatisfactory....I'd call the cable company and have them check things out. You may need a signal booster..they can determine that when they come onsite.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Anything like this?
    http://www.ab-av.com/index/images/stories/HS2.jpg

If the picture is unsatisfactory....I'd call the cable company and have them check things out. You may need a signal booster..they can determine that when they come onsite.
    The thing my ISP used is nothing like that on the outside of the house, however, I did buy a 5-1000mhz splitter and while it did make a difference in my modem numbers(my upstream got far too high: 57.8), I didn't see a performance drop or gain(well, it did seem better for a minutes, in that I had no delay or lag).

I would love to have my ISP come here and check it out but they are adamant that they can't help. Ugh.

umm why are admitting you dont pay for cable in 3 rooms you just got your self cought stealing not that i care but if you are cought by the proper authorities you can face big fines/jail time

Quote Originally Posted by cableguy2k7 View Post
    umm why are admitting you dont pay for cable in 3 rooms you just got your self cought stealing not that i care but if you are cought by the proper authorities you can face big fines/jail time
    Eh. It's been many, many years that I've had splitters in these rooms, countless cable company visits/internet installation, etc... If it was a big deal, something would've been done by now. Besides, I seriously doubt once can get into much trouble just for having a few splitters in the house while the cable is actually be paid for anyways. It's not like the hook up is completely stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateHigh1 View Post
    Eh. It's been many, many years that I've had splitters in these rooms, countless cable company visits/internet installation, etc... If it was a big deal, something would've been done by now. Besides, I seriously doubt once can get into much trouble just for having a few splitters in the house while the cable is actually be paid for anyways. It's not like the hook up is completely stolen.
    umm you do know you dont have pay for seprate rooms all you gotta do is is have them put lines in the rooms and boxes the boxes dont cost much but 4 bucks a piece for each one that goes on your cable bill each month but if its hd dvr box iot cost 9 to 12 bucks a piece you mean you cant afford to pay an extra few dallors for the extra rooms? it aint like its going to cost an extra 100 bucks for each room

You're usually not billed "per TV"....you're billed for the service, and have many upgrade boxes you have....if those additional TVs are subscribing to upgraded services. With basic TV service..the coax just plugs into the TV itself.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy2k7 View Post

Unless he has illegal boxes, you can split your connection to however many TV's you want, as long as it is at the same residence.

Quote Originally Posted by Comtrad View Post

Unless he has illegal boxes, you can split your connection to however many TV's you want, as long as it is at the same residence.
    No illegal boxes here.