Thread: Started playing around with Ubuntu

Started playing around with Ubuntu

I have an extra laptop(p4-m 1.8 and 512 mb) lying around so I decided to give Linux another try. So far I absolutely love it...installed without hardly any issue and was online instantly and I believe all my other hardware is working correctly. I have successfully used the Synaptic package manager to install a few other programs and it wasn't too painful.

Still trying to figure out how to see the other computers on my network and how to successfully 'enable' the nvidia driver for the video card...though it is working ok color wise i do not believe there is any hardware acceleration.

I'm thinking of doing the same.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy#NVidia_Driver

Get familiar w/ Linux via Ubuntu, then take the plunge and install real Linux...Debian w/out all the Ubuntu bloat.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy#NVidia_Driver

Get familiar w/ Linux via Ubuntu, then take the plunge and install real Linux...Debian w/out all the Ubuntu bloat.
    but the bloat makes me all warm and fuzzy inside

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post
    but the bloat makes me all warm and fuzzy inside
    Don't worry its not real bloat, its just the elitist mindset that keeps linux from being made to truly compete with windows.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Don't worry its not real bloat, its just the elitist mindset that keeps linux from being made to truly compete with windows.
    Not entirely true, although there are "purists" that by their actions do prevent Linux from growing. These are the ones who don't use non-free software and adhere 100% to ACLU/FSF socolistic-communistic philosophies.

Ubuntu is a good system, esp for the beginning Linux user. On about 50% of installs "stuff just works" with no extra adjustment by the user.

But Ubuntu does contain a lot of bloat and unnecessary software, most of which will never be utilized by the end user. Also, the Gnome, KDE and XFCE4 installs are the complete bloated desktop environments. Once one becomes familiar with these desktops & linux, one learns just which packages are needed and which can be removed.

Network-manager is a good example of a package that causes as much trouble as it does good. The default Ubuntu install contains a ton of stuff that is useless to most users.

On the plus side, these extra software serve to give the user a choice and an opportunity to learn which programs he likes nest.

All I am stressing is that one can use Ubuntu, learn it, then learn Debian. Ubuntu is bult on top of Debian Unstable and Experimental anyway, and it's a way faster more stable system when one builds it Debian from scratch.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    All I am stressing is that one can use Ubuntu, learn it, then learn Debian. Ubuntu is bult on top of Debian Unstable and Experimental anyway, and it's a way faster more stable system when one builds it Debian from scratch.
    I can see some of your points but Ubuntu is better than Debian, Debian still does not support any video card I have right out of the box(ISO? lol). Yet Ubuntu does, Kubunto does, Fedora does, hell even Slackware does, so that is a personal pet peave there.

Debian has a wonderful feature in apt-get, though others have the nice GUIs, they all still need improving. I can see having Gnome, KDE and others not all being needed, just the one the user wants, but in general I think Linux needs a distro offering more bloat(especially in error messages so there more understandable). Most die hard linux users are against all these GUIs, but they could really help out for new users and people like me that are lazy. Linux also needs to do something about performance, I don't know if that means a new desktop manager or what, but it needs something.

The potential is there, but theres always snags along the way keeping it just at that point.

Yeah, I don't disagrtee w/ you completely. Linux andhardware drivers has been the biggest issue as long as there has been a x86 Linux. That goes back to what I said about non-free packages. Ubuntu has a "restrocted modules" package that is more easily installable than having to build your own drivers.

BTW, apt-get works in Ubuntu too.

As for performance, that's the main reason to build from the ground up, you only install what's needed. To give you an idea of what I mean, have a look at a page I made about installing on a Dell D830 laptop (my current laptop). With Gnome and FF running I am only using about 100 MB memory.
    http://members.cox.net/tonyt/d830

I don't consider it laziness to fall back on the gui, I prefer the gui. If I wanted commandline I'd just use DOS! But graphical desktops is what makes computers fun.

LRH