Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Buckeyes Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post

never happen unless its a bowl game.... next years schedule is still up in the air on that SEC team which rumors are Alabama.
    It's already set to happen. How is it a Va. Tech diehard like yourself doesn't know that.

They are set for a Home and Home in the future. I do believe it's close to 10 years out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    first of all, you are the jab king. we know it is all in fun just like when we jab at VT.

2nd...wells is as good a player than anybody in the country....period. barring injury of course, but hell, look at what he did last year with 2 injuries all year.
    Yeah that's why I tease Sava. He tends to be a little inconsistent with his information. He will call a team like Ohio State overrated and then call Nebraska a strong team?!

There is either something incredibly naive about that or blatant homerism. Point in case. Va. Tech beats Nebraska by 5 points and it's a beatdown. USC beats Va. Tech by eleven and it's not. Yet USC outgained Va. Tech by more then Va. Tech outgained Nebraska.

Personally I think you get further by admitting things to people, but that's Sava. He's proud of his team which is fine, but sometimes I believe it goes a little to far. I mean come on. Let's not kid ourselves here. Nebraska is NOT a strong team. At best they are average.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Yeah that's why I tease Sava. He tends to be a little inconsistent with his information. He will call a team like Ohio State overrated and then call Nebraska a strong team?!

There is either something incredibly naive about that or blatant homerism. Point in case. Va. Tech beats Nebraska by 5 points and it's a beatdown. USC beats Va. Tech by eleven and it's not. Yet USC outgained Va. Tech by more then Va. Tech outgained Nebraska.

Personally I think you get further by admitting things to people, but that's Sava. He's proud of his team which is fine, but sometimes I believe it goes a little to far. I mean come on. Let's not kid ourselves here. Nebraska is NOT a strong team. At best they are average.
    No see what you don't understand and you call inconsistent is the fact that the numbers didn't mean nothing...NOTHING in the first few up to 5 weeks of the season. Thats my argument that you ignore thus the teams and their scoring on each other differ from each other big time. I've watched just as many games as you have and see different things so its your opinion vs mine. Nebraska is a good team I don't know how anyone can argue they are not regardless of who they have played so far... its easy to see that a unranked team can do alot which was proved again yet tonight with Pitt and USF.

To go back and argue that USC and VA Tech game's stats now is crazy..that was years ago and not what is going on currently this season.

I hope to see Nebraska win their game this week and bust another ranked team which will of course push VA Tech up a few more notches.

No see what you don't understand and you call inconsistent is the fact that the numbers didn't mean nothing...NOTHING in the first few up to 5 weeks of the season. Thats my argument that you ignore thus the teams and their scoring on each other differ from each other big time. I've watched just as many games as you have and see different things so its your opinion vs mine. Nebraska is a good team I don't know how anyone can argue they are not regardless of who they have played so far... its easy to see that a unranked team can do alot which was proved again yet tonight with Pitt and USF.

To go back and argue that USC and VA Tech game's stats now is crazy..that was years ago and not what is going on currently this season.

I hope to see Nebraska win their game this week and bust another ranked team which will of course push VA Tech up a few more notches.
    If you were consistent with your remarks about other teams (i.e. Ohio State etc) then I would understand your statement on Nebraska a little better even if I disagreed with it.

As for Va. Tech that would only serve to offset what now looks like a terrible loss to ECU.

As for Va. Tech that would only serve to offset what now looks like a terrible loss to ECU.
    You must be talking about West VA cause they had a terrible loss to ECU. The loss by VATech to ECU was by a lucky blocked punt in the closing few mins to seal the deal otherwise by stats VATech played a better game.

ECU is still a very good team.... I'd say even better than a few top 10 ranked teams at this point. Its odd that you bring that up cause it fits in well with my argument on numbers don't mean anything early in the season...see ECU slipped past VATech in the opening game which should have been on neutral field ( it wasn't) and dominated a over ranked West VA team on their home field ( which it was). They get beat by two non -ranked one of whom was Houston which I hardly hear anything of. Just doesn't add up does it and shows whats already happening again yet this week with the upsets or so we call them cause we are trained on those numbers.

You must be talking about West VA cause they had a terrible loss to ECU. The loss by VATech to ECU was by a lucky blocked punt in the closing few mins to seal the deal otherwise by stats VATech played a better game.

ECU is still a very good team.... I'd say even better than a few top 10 ranked teams at this point. Its odd that you bring that up cause it fits in well with my argument on numbers don't mean anything early in the season...see ECU slipped past VATech in the opening game which should have been on neutral field ( it wasn't) and dominated a over ranked West VA team on their home field ( which it was). They gets beat by two non -ranked one of whom was Houston which I hardly hear anything of. Just doesn't add up does it and shows whats already happening again yet this week with the upsets or so we call them cause we are trained on those numbers.

Again Va. Tech lost to ECU. It doesn't matter how they lost, but the loss looks bad just like the Oregon State loss looks bad for USC. Come on Sava this is the stuff we are talking about. You seem to concede nothing when it comes to Va. Tech. Neither ECU or Nebraska are great teams. Neither are certainly worthy of a Top 10 ranking. Whether that's in week 6 or Week 1. We are now far enough in to garner an idea of who is Top 10 material.

Again Va. Tech lost to ECU. It doesn't matter how they lost, but the loss looks bad just like the Oregon State loss looks bad for USC. Come on Sava this is the stuff we are talking about. You seem to concede nothing when it comes to Va. Tech. Neither ECU or Nebraska are great teams. Neither are certainly worthy of a Top 10 ranking. Whether that's in week 6 or Week 1. We are now far enough in to garner an idea of who is Top 10 material.
    your opinion is that ECU or Nebraska are not good teams when its clear from the games I've seen..one of which was in person they are. Your opinion against mine so its not about conceding anything its a matter of opinion. I wouldn't say top 10 either so I agree there..but AGAIN we are trained on numbers so who's to say a few teams in the top 10 are just getting by with cheap wins and not really that good?

If Oregon St gets into the top 15 as ECU did then you can reference that USC game to VAtechs against ECU till then as you continue to focus on numbers then I'm sorry but thats like apples to oranges. Stats apparently mean alot to the voters in the polls so if they look at them why do you ignore them?

your opinion is that ECU or Nebraska are not good teams when its clear from the games I've seen..one of which was in person they are. Your opinion against mine so its not about conceding anything its a matter of opinion. I wouldn't say top 10 either so I agree there..but AGAIN we are trained on numbers so who's to say a few teams in the top 10 are just getting by with cheap wins and not really that good?

If Oregon St gets into the top 15 as ECU did then you can reference that USC game to VAtechs against ECU till then as you continue to focus on numbers then I'm sorry but thats like apples to oranges. Stats apparently mean alot to the voters in the polls so if they look at them why do you ignore them?
    Actually I will think that loss to Oregon State was a bad loss regardless. Even if Oregon State wins all their remaining games. Sure to alot it will look better, but to me they lost to an unranked team at the time.

Whats strange is this is a OSU thread and I was talking about OSU with Gixxer and for some reason this moved over to a VATech thread... I say we get back on topic for gixxers sake to save his thread

Whats strange is this is a OSU thread and I was talking about OSU with Gixxer and for some reason this moved over to a VATech thread... I say we get back on topic for gixxers sake to save his thread

you guys can talk about whatever you like here. main topic is OSU, but overall CFB is just fine. that way there is no 124 threads to flip back in forth in.

"BW ALL HYPE"

• After rushing for 169 yards against the Badgers last year, Buckeye tailback Chris Wells ran for 168 and a score Saturday -- his eighth 100-yard game in his last nine contests.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=282780275
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Pryor comes of age in dramatic Wisconsin win
    October 5, 2008 1:07 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
    AP Photo/Andy Manis Terrell Pryor's 11-yard touchdown run with 1:08 remaining gives Ohio State a 20-17 victory over Wisconsin on Saturday.MADISON, Wis. -- In the euphoria of Ohio State's dramatic 20-17 win over Wisconsin, Terrelle Pryor caught up with James Laurinaitis and Malcolm Jenkins in the tunnel outside the visitors' locker room.
    Ohio State's freshman front man had a message for the senior stars.
    "We're giving him a hug and he says, 'I'm fighting for you guys,'" Laurinaitis said. "He cares about these guys that are older and the history of Ohio State. He cares about his future and he wants to be a big part of that."
    Pryor took a big step toward solidifying the team's future Saturday night at Camp Randall Stadium. The 81,608 on hand witnessed a coronation in the final 6:26, a true freshman quarterback doing things that true freshman quarterbacks aren't supposed to do.
    With Ohio State trailing 17-13 against a team that doesn't lose at home (16 straight wins) or at night (11 straight wins, six at home), Pryor took the field for a drive that won't soon be forgotten. In case the pressure wasn't strong enough already, Pryor's backfield mate Chris "Beanie" Wells turned up the heat.
    "Beanie said, 'You're in a man's world. This is what it is. So are you gonna be a man or a kid?'" Pryor recalled.
    According to his birth certificate, Pryor is still a kid, a few months past his 19th birthday. But he answered Wells and the rest of the country a few minutes later, when he scooted into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown with 1:08 left in the game.
    Recapping Pryor's heroics on the final drive:
    • On third-and-6 from the Buckeyes' 24-yard line, he found Brian Hartline over the middle for 19 yards on what head coach Jim Tressel called his third read.
    • On second-and-15 from the Buckeyes' 38-yard line, Pryor again found Hartline, again on the third read, this time for 27 yards.
    • On third-and-1 from the Wisconsin 15-yard line, Pryor plunged forward for the first down.
    • Two plays later, Pryor ran the option, recognized the cornerback drifting to Wells, kept the ball and darted into the end zone.
    "I told him he's going to take a step into manhood right now,'" Wells said. "He told me he was ready for it and he capped it off with a touchdown.
    "Once he pulls it down, I mean, it's a sight to see."

It wasn't a perfect night for Pryor. At times, he looked his age, taking a 16-yard sack in the first quarter and looking reluctant to throw the ball away or to open receivers.
    But he never lost his composure, despite the setting or the significance of the situation.
    "Terrelle likes to reassure me that he's fine," Tressel said, "and he is. No one was saying he wasn't fine. ... He was in the toughest full-game battle that he's been in in his college career thus far."
    Last week, Pryor lashed out at ESPN's Mark May, who questioned how the freshman would perform on a big stage in a rough environment. Saturday night's performance provided the answers everyone was looking for, including the guy wearing No. 2.
    "I can see what they mean, but I just want to show people that I can play," Pryor said. "I'm a decent football player."
    He proved it on the field and then in the tunnel with the senior co-captains.
    "The way all these kids are recruited nowadays, they come in and everyone's saying, 'They're going to be the next greatest thing to ever walk,'" Laurinaitis said. "To have these guys have the humility they do, this freshman class, and Terrelle leads that class, he's out there fighting for the seniors."
    Added Jenkins: "We talked before the game how everybody needs to play for each other, not for the glory of the stats. That was just his way of letting us know that he played for us."
    Pryor admits he likes direct challenges, like the one he received from Wells.
    But the most important challenge went unsaid.
    "I don't want to let my seniors down," Pryor said. "That'd be the worst thing ever. ... I grew up."
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Ohio State DE Wilson have knee surgery, miss rest of season

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio State defensive end Lawrence Wilson, who missed all of last season with a broken right leg, will undergo surgery for torn ligaments in his left knee and will miss the rest of this year.
    Coach Jim Tressel announced Wilson's injury during his news conference on Tuesday.
    Wilson, a 6-foot-4, 274-pound junior from Akron, was injured in the Buckeyes' 16-3 victory over Purdue on Saturday.
    He was the sixth-leading tackler for the Buckeyes (6-1, 3-0 Big Ten) with 18, including 21/2 tackles for a loss with one sack.
    Ohio State has been rotating players on the defensive line. Wilson's spot will most likely be filled by junior Rob Rose.
    The 12th-ranked Buckeyes play at No. 20 Michigan State (6-1, 3-0) on Saturday.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Not every Buckeye thinks Pryor should be lone quarterback

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio State coach Jim Tressel has no doubt Terrelle Pryor is the best quarterback to lead the Buckeyes.
    Not all his players agree.
    Tight end Jake Ballard said it could help the Buckeyes' struggling offense to turn back to former starter Todd Boeckman and have him share the job with Pryor. The freshman has shown flashes of skill, but is still a work in progress.
    "The senior leadership that Todd brings to the table and just how he commands the huddle would definitely help us out," Ballard said. "And he could make some big throws for us. ... I don't think a two-quarterback system would be a bad idea."
    No. 12 Ohio State (6-1, 3-0 Big Ten) will be facing one of its biggest tests of the season Saturday when it plays at No. 20 Michigan State.
    The Buckeyes are last in the Big Ten in passing and next to last in total offense.
    But Tressel clearly is committed to Pryor going it alone, though he said Tuesday he wants to play Boeckman. The senior has not played either of the last two games, both Ohio State victories.
    "(I) haven't determined that that was the right moment (or) situation," Tressel said tersely.
    Boeckman led Ohio State to a Big Ten title and a spot in the BCS national championship game last season. This season, he had the job for three games before Pryor, who was playing high school ball in Jeannette, Pa., a year ago, was promoted.
    The Buckeyes have won all four of Pryor's starts, but the offense has sputtered.
    A unit that returned nine starters stands 94th in total offense in major college football, including 108th in passing.
    "If an apology is what you'd like, we can all go to lunch," he cracked. "I apologize. And we'll try to get better."
    But at the same time, he knows it's no laughing matter. The Buckeyes have totaled 18 touchdowns in their first seven games; a year ago at this point, they had 31.
    Buckeyes fans on radio call-in shows and Web sites are calling the offense unimaginative and predictable. Several Southern California players said they knew what the Buckeyes were going to do on almost every snap after USC pounded Ohio State 35-3 in Boeckman's last start.
    Even Tressel seemed to question his own approach on Tuesday.
    "You always have to start by being troubled by the plan, because there's got to be some reasons why you're not executing," he said.
    A porous offensive line might be Ohio State's biggest problem. The Buckeyes are 106th in the nation in sacks allowed.
    Tressel has taken an increasing interest in the line in recent weeks, even dubbing himself the "assistant offensive line coach." Usually reserved on and off the field, Tressel has strained his voice yelling at the linemen to be quicker and hold their blocks longer.
    But the sacks aren't all the lines' fault.
    Pryor is dangerous runner -- able to dodge or outrun onrushing defenders. Yet he sometimes doesn't know when to throw a ball away to avoid trouble. He was sacked three times on Saturday in a 16-3 victory over Purdue, a game in which the Buckeyes' didn't score an offensive touchdown.
    "He can make big plays with his feet but he has to realize it's not high school, he can't make big plays every single time for 20 yards or more," Ballard said. "He's not always going to get big plays."
    He said the Buckeyes cannot continue playing the way they have been.
    "It's frustrating. Everybody thinks it's frustrating," he said. "But we're not worried about it as much as maybe others are because we know it's things that we can change, to turn around the way the season is going right now."
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

"Our economy is failing because of Ohio State football fans. A poll on the Columbus Dispatch's Web site asked Ohioans if they would be willing to trade in a victory over Michigan for a 13,000-point surge in the Dow. Fifty-nine percent voted stupidly no. What is this world coming to? "
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

"Our economy is failing because of Ohio State football fans. A poll on the Columbus Dispatch's Web site asked Ohioans if they would be willing to trade in a victory over Michigan for a 13,000-point surge in the Dow. Fifty-nine percent voted stupidly no. What is this world coming to? "

LMAO! Go Michigan!

The people of my home state have always been dumb that way.

The people of my home state have always been dumb that way.
    they are everywhere
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

they are everywhere
    I would disagree with that in some cases. At least based on some of the places I have lived.

I would disagree with that in some cases. At least based on some of the places I have lived.
    you may have just not seen them, but they are everywhere.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Once a star, now Boeckman doesn’t play

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—Todd Boeckman is trying hard to take the high road.
    The sixth-year senior is clearly heartbroken and humiliated that he no longer has a role other than non-playing captain on the No. 12 Ohio State football team. A star a year ago who was first team All-Big Ten at quarterback, he now stands on the sideline wondering what went wrong.
    “I guess this hasn’t worked out the way I planned it,” he said on Tuesday night. “But if we’re still winning, I’m all for it.”
    Four games into the season, after the offensive line had a sieve-like game in a 35-3 rout at then-No. 1 Southern California and Boeckman had to run for his life all night, coach Jim Tressel benched him and replaced him with freshman Terrelle Pryor.
    Boeckman was not told about the decision. He noticed he was getting fewer snaps in practice leading into the game against Troy, but neither Tressel nor any of the other coaches ever sat down with him and discussed the situation until a week or so later.
    The Buckeyes (6-1, 3-0 Big Ten) have won four in a row since the switch, against teams with a combined record of 14-10. Pryor has been just OK, passing for less than 100 yards in two of those games and under 150 in the other two.
    The gifted freshman has shown an ability to run away from pressure when his protection fails. He has also made some bad decisions in terms of holding onto the ball, which is understandable for a quarterback with almost no experience reading college defenses.
    He’s been sacked 10 times in his four starts; Boeckman was sacked 13 times during the entire 12-game regular season last year.
    Pryor will truly be tested over the next four weeks, when the Buckeyes face teams with a combined record of 21-5, starting with Saturday’s game at No. 20 Michigan State (6-1, 3-0).
    Meanwhile, Boeckman watches from the sideline. He hasn’t played in the last two games. When Tressel was asked during his weekly news conference when he planned on getting Boeckman into a game, through clenched teeth he said, “You’ll know the moment it happens.”
    The Buckeyes didn’t score an offensive touchdown in their most recent game, a 16-3 win against Purdue last Saturday.
    That led to speculation that maybe Boeckman might be reinserted into the lineup. But Tressel effectively said that would not be the case.
    Boeckman chose not to be a distraction. He is gracious publicly about the move at quarterback and has tried hard to lend a helping hand to Pryor. He refuses to say anything negative about the guy ahead of him, or the guy in the sweater vest calling the shots.
    “When you’re on the sidelines, you always want to play. You always want to be that guy out there,” Boeckman said. “Terrelle is doing some good things out there. He’s getting better each and every week. I’m doing what I can. If my number’s ever called, I’m going to be there, ready to go.”
    Boeckman said his family is upset by his demotion. He said when he was booed for throwing an incompletion against Troy, it was harder on them than it was on him.
    His teammates and fellow seniors recognize that Boeckman is struggling with his lack of playing time.
    “He’s definitely in a tough position, a senior captain and he loses his job,” tight end Jake Ballard said. “We try to stay behind him, keep his head up and tell him to just keep fighting and working hard and everything will work out for itself.”
    Offensive tackle Alex Boone added, “I think he’s doing a great job in practice. If he were to be thrown into a game, he’d step right back in there. He’s the rock. It’d be great to see him back in there.”
    In the meantime, Boeckman quietly waits for another chance.
    “It hasn’t worked out the way I wanted it to, but like I said, we’re still winning and we’re getting the job done and he’s—I think, what is it, 4-0 now? — he’s 4-0 as a starter. I guess you can’t complain about that,” he said.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750