Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Buckeyes Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Just remember..it never said they wouldn't go to a BCS bowl game...but they won't win if they do.

OSU = Overrated

USC will stomp that ass....with a backup QB.

I predict OSU will lose at least 2 games this year regular season.
    USC and Michigan I hope.

Terrell Pryor is Jim Tressel's quarterback. During the week, Tressel said he'd prefer to decide on one quarterback at some point, and already he's there. Asked an obvious, but necessary, question in a world where Wells' injured right foot still hasn't been offered a specific diagnosis in three weeks, Tressel confirmed Pryor as his new starter. "Weren't you at the game?" Tressel asked.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Sad to see Wells Heisman candidancy end before it practically began.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Sad to see Wells Heisman candidancy end before it practically began.
    no ****

i dont think he will stick around another year either
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    no ****

i dont think he will stick around another year either
    If he's out for awhile he may want to reconsider that though. Depends on what the scouts say about where he would go in the draft.

Ohio State starting running back Chris "Beanie" Wells will return from injury Saturday against Minnesota barring any setbacks this week in practice, Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel said Tuesday.

Wells participated fully in Monday's nearly two-hour practice and no longer is experiencing the lingering soreness in his right big toe, which kept him off the field against Ohio, top-ranked USC and Troy. He suffered the injury in the third quarter of the Buckeyes' season opener against Youngstown State.

"He did everything that everyone else did and I thought gained a lot more confidence as the practice went on," Tressel said. "I expect him to keep trudging forward. Unless he takes a step backwards, I expect him to be out there [against Minnesota]. If the game were [Monday], he could have given us limited duty."

Wells will participate in more intense practices Tuesday and Wednesday, with Tressel saying Wells' performance will determine his workload Saturday. Redshirt freshman Dan Herron would start in Wells' place if Wells cannot go.

"As the inflammation dies out and the healing occurs, it's just the natural progression of less and less soreness," Tressel said.

Freshman quarterback Terrelle Pryor was named by Tressel as his definitive starter for the Minnesota game.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Tailback Chris "Beanie" Wells is likely to return for No. 14 Ohio State against Minnesota on Saturday.
    "It adds to our arsenal," coach Jim Tressel said Tuesday, shortly after announcing that Wells was probable for Saturday's game.
    Wells has been out of action since injuring his right foot early in the second half of the opening victory over Youngstown State. Dan Herron has been the tailback in victories over Ohio and Troy and a lopsided defeat at top-ranked Southern California.
    Ohio State could use the boost. Even though freshman Terrelle Pryor threw four touchdown passes last week in his debut as a starter against Troy, the offense has been erratic since Wells left.
    His teammates were happy to see him doing all the drills at Tuesday night's practice.
    Asked how Wells looked, offensive lineman Alex Boone said, "Fast. Very fast. He was running all over the place. He looked physical and fast. He looked like nothing had happened to him."
    Against Troy, the Buckeyes led just 14-10 heading into the fourth quarter before punts downed deep inside the 20 helped Ohio State set up two short touchdown drives to pull away 28-10.
    Pryor gives the Buckeyes a mobile quarterback who can avoid a collapsing pocket and transform a potential loss into a gain. He escaped from severe pressure on several occasions to frustrate Troy defenders and perpetuate drives.
    The Buckeyes also experimented up front with several other fresh faces on the offensive line. Jim Cordle, who had started the past 16 games at center, moved to left guard to fill in for the injured Steve Rehring. Another true freshman, Mike Brewster, then took Cordle's spot.
    Brewster wasn't the only youngster in the rotation up front. True freshman J.B. Shugarts and sophomore Andrew Miller also saw action.
    Suddenly, the huddle that Wells returns to doesn't bear much resemblance to the one he left.
    Todd Boeckman, the fifth-year senior who led the Buckeyes to a second consecutive outright Big Ten title and the national championship game a year ago, played just two plays against Troy and is now cemented to the bench as a backup to Pryor.
    With Pryor on the field at the same time as Wells, who rushed for 1,600 yards a year ago, defenses will be in a quandary.
    "Who are they going to defend?" Cordle said.
    Asked what it would be like for a defense to face both Pryor and Wells, safety Kurt Coleman just shook his head.
    "Scary," he said. "Scary."
    Tressel said Pryor did not handle himself like a 19-year-old kid who had yet to attend his first college class.
    "He knows where everyone is," Tressel said. "He's got a great ability to keep his head up, a calmness about him."
    The presence of Wells -- if indeed he is healthy and ready to play -- should take some of the pressure off the young quarterback.
    "Yesterday in practice (Wells) was running up my back and he was saying, 'Let's go!"' Cordle said with a laugh. "He almost ran me over on one play. He's ready to go. You can see how bad he wants to play."
    Just two years ago, Tressel reined in quarterback Troy Smith so he wouldn't run so much, increasing the chances he would get through the season without being injured. That approach worked wonders. Smith almost never missed a snap while leading to the Buckeyes to a perfect regular season and winning the Heisman Trophy.
    Reminded of that on Tuesday, Tressel was asked how he would try to preserve Pryor throughout this season.
    "Hand it to the tailback more," he said.
    With Wells now back in the fold, that'll be a popular alternative.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Coach Tressel has a 4-1 bowl record and a 4-1 record against Michigan. No coach in OSU history can match his 8-2 start in those two areas.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

BW and Pryor combo is deadly with endless posibilities as shown on the first drive.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

dan "boom" herron is going to be a good tailback
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Coach Tressel has a 4-1 bowl record and a 4-1 record against Michigan. No coach in OSU history can match his 8-2 start in those two areas.
    Tressel does not have a 4-1 bowl record.

Tressel does not have a 4-1 bowl record.
    i dont think they are counting the champ games. got it off espn i think.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

pryor just delivered a huge hit. damn what a player.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

i dont think they are counting the champ games. got it off espn i think.
    That's weird. A championship game is a bowl game so why wouldn't they count that?

That's weird. A championship game is a bowl game so why wouldn't they count that?

not sure
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Beanie and Terrelle show debuted to rave reviews.
    Tailback Chris “Beanie” Wells rushed for 106 yards in his first game in a month and quarterback Terrelle Pryor ran for two scores and threw for another to lead No. 14 Ohio State to 34-21 victory over Minnesota on Saturday.
    It was the first time the two had started in the same backfield.

Wells, out after injuring his right foot in the season-opener, carried 14 times and showed his old form by racing for 28 yards on his second attempt. He also vaulted a potential tackler on another big gainer.

In his second start as a true freshman, Pryor ran for 97 yards on eight carries, scoring on runs of 33 and 1 yard. He also completed 8-of-13 passes for 70 yards, including an 8-yard scoring hook-up with Brian Robiskie. He also had a 31-yard touchdown catch from Todd Boeckman, who Pryor replaced as starter a week earlier.
    It was the Big Ten opener for both teams. Ohio State (4-1) won its second in a row while tuning up for next Saturday’s showdown at No. 9 Wisconsin. Minnesota (4-1) was hoping to prove how far it had turned things around from last year’s dismal 1-11 mark.
    After picking up the 28 yards on his second carry, Wells received a loud ovation from a crowd of 105,175, as if they were telling him, “Welcome back. We missed you.”
    The Ohio State offense obviously had missed him. In the three weeks since he was hurt, the running game had been mediocre and the passing game erratic as the Buckeyes had been stuffed by then-No. 1 Southern California 35-3 and struggled in wins over Ohio (26-14) and Troy (28-10).
    The Buckeyes built a 20-3 halftime lead and never looked back against Minnesota.
    On the next play after Wells’ first big run, Pryor kept around the right end on a 33-yard carry, colliding with a tackler at the goal line and falling into the end zone for a 7-0 lead.
    Wells fumbled the ball away the next time he touched it, giving the Golden Gophers the ball at the Ohio State 24. But they netted just eight yards on three plays and ended up settling for Joel Monroe’s 33-yard field goal.
    The teams traded punts until Pryor led an 86-yard march, gaining 38 yards on a third-and-3 play. Dan Herron, who had filled in for Wells while he was out, added a 17-yard run on an option pitch before the defense stiffened at the Minnesota 4 and Ryan Pretorius kicked the first of his two field goals.
    Minnesota, among the national leaders with a +11 in turnover margin, hurt itself by giving up the ball on two consecutive possessions. First Adam Weber threw behind a receiver at the Ohio State 14, directly to Buckeyes cornerback Donald Washington.
    The next time the Gophers got the ball, Weber hit tight end Jack Simmons on a 12-yard first-down pass play when a slow whistle resulted in Ohio State safety Anderson Russell stealing the ball from Simmons. Minnesota coach Tim Brewster called timeout and asked for a review of the play, but it was confirmed because no whistle had blown even though Simmons was stood up and in the middle of a pack of defenders for several seconds. As Ohio State’s offense came on the field, Brewster twice waved his arms in anger at the officials.
    Two plays later, Wells took a handoff that was supposed to go off left guard and made a nifty cut at the line to avoid traffic, then rumbled down field and hurdled diving defender Kyle Theret in a highlight-reel move on the way to a 21-yard pickup. Pryor capped the drive with an 8-yard TD pass to Robiskie in the left corner of the end zone.
    Pryor rolled right and was untouched on a short TD run in the third quarter.
    After Boeckman found Robiskie on a diving one-handed grab for a score, the Golden Gophers scored twice. Weber, who completed 23-of-36 passes for 187 yards with the one interception, flipped a perfectly timed pitch to Ralph Spry for a 3-yard touchdown.
    Weber later threw a 22-yard TD pass to Da’Jon McKnight that cut the lead to 13 points, but Ohio State recovered the ensuing onside kick with 1:13 left and ran out the clock.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

"I honestly think I can be the best player in college football,"
    is he really trying to be funny?

He has not played in the required 75 percent of his team's games to be listed in the NCAA rushing statistics
    He's all hype and to be honest from what I've seen in the games I've watched this year up to this point I'd put that little running back from Oregon St head of Wells at this point. I mean he's in dream land much with that top quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    is he really trying to be funny?

He's all hype and to be honest from what I've seen in the games I've watched this year up to this point I'd put that little running back from Oregon St head of Wells at this point. I mean he's in dream land much with that top quote.
    dude, if you don't think BW is one of the best if not the best player in cfb, you are smoking the best crack on the streets. just because he does not win the heisman does not mean he is not the best player. he missed 3 games which imo, takes him out of the heisman race and only for that reason. because he missed those three games does not mean he should quit trying. all hype? holy **** dude, you are blind or don't choose to see! EVERYONE in CFB is saying he is one of the best if not the best, not just OSU fans.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

dude, if you don't think BW is one of the best if not the best player in cfb, you are smoking the best crack on the streets. just because he does not win the heisman does not mean he is not the best player. he missed 3 games which imo, takes him out of the heisman race and only for that reason. because he missed those three games does not mean he should quit trying. all hype? holy **** dude, you are blind or don't choose to see! EVERYONE in CFB is saying he is one of the best if not the best, not just OSU fans.
    He is NOT the best CFB as of this year or even last year for that matter. But you posted the article about him winning the Heisman not me. Now your pokin at him being the best no matter what.. ok but seems it is your smoke I'm breathing.

If I had to choose on a heisman winner I'd go with Chase Daniel. But again after watching the games I've watched so far including games Wells has played in, he's not the best player.