Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Buckeyes Thread

Ohio State Buckeyes Thread

It's this simple. The winner of the Ohio State-USC showdown will be playing for the national title; the loser will be playing in the Rose Bowl. The early call, because of the experience, is a Buckeye win, but if USC wins, then put Jim Tressel and the boys here and Wisconsin in the Fiesta. Eventually the Badgers need to break through and get to a BCS game again, right? They've been on the verge for years and now have the team to break through. If USC beats Ohio State, then it'll probably be the Buckeyes vs. either Oregon or Arizona State. If it's the Badgers vs. the Trojans, it would be the first matchup of the two since 1966 when USC won, 38-3. If only it could be as good a matchup as the 1963 classic Rose Bowl when the Badgers mounted an epic comeback only to fall short in a 42-37 loss.
    Last edited by Gixxer; 10-17-08 at 04:21 PM.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

i figure instead of multiple threads about the best damn team in the land that also has the best damn band in the land, i will make one thread with continuous updates.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

FedEx BCS National Championship

Jan. 8 / 8 p.m. Miami Gardens, Fla. FOX
    *BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2
    Way-Too-Early Projection: Ohio State vs. Florida
    Top 5 Others Considered: 1) USC, 2) Georgia, 3) Oklahoma, 4) LSU, 5) West Virginia
    The way-too-early scenario (that might/will suddenly change at some point this summer): No one goes unbeaten; Ohio State beats USC in L.A. to build up enough style points to overcome one acceptable Big Ten loss to be the begrudging choice by the voters as the nation's No. 1 team; Florida loses twice, but beats Georgia and wins the SEC championship. Repeat that exact scenario except replace Ohio State with USC (who'll lose one Pac-10 game) and Florida with Georgia, and you might have it.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Was that first post your remarks? They seem vaguely familiar to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Was that first post your remarks? They seem vaguely familiar to me.
    no. nor the third. i use "sports analysts" for some things. that way people don't say, "you are saying that because you like them". i am showing that others, as well as myself, are saying similar things.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Go Bucks! (Don't **** it up.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    no. nor the third. i use "sports analysts" for some things. that way people don't say, "you are saying that because you like them". i am showing that others, as well as myself, are saying similar things.
    Helps to use quotes.

Advanced Member
    This thread is now about a real team who always has a tough schedule unlike we know who. GO BAMA !!! ROLL TIDE!!! and my TAR HEELS.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb31 View Post
    This thread is now about a real team who always has a tough schedule unlike we know who. GO BAMA !!! ROLL TIDE!!! and my TAR HEELS.
    Fail.

that is what was said about the 2002 schedule, when osu beat the "unbeatable" hurricanes.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Buckeyes land CB commitment

Posted: Tuesday June 24, 2008 05:52AM ET

The scarlet and gray will have a Brown tint next year. Corey Brown, a senior football player at Gateway High School, announced yesterday afternoon he will attend Ohio State University. Brown, a 6-foot-1, 186-pound receiver-defensive back, was recruited by the Buckeyes to play cornerback. He is ranked among the top 100 players in the country by rivals.com and gives Ohio State its third recruit from the class of 2009. Dorian Bell, a linebacker and Brown's teammate at Gateway, and Jeannette running back Jordan Hall chose Ohio State in the spring. The Buckeyes also landed Jeannette star quarterback Terrelle Pryor from the class of 2008.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Never too early to talk Buckeyes: Preseason publications target OSU for title game

By MATT MARKEY
    BLADE SPORTS WRITER

COLUMBUS - Being ranked No. 2 in the middle of June does not mean much in college football when the start of the season is still 10 weeks away, but it gets the conversation started in earnest.

In one of the first national preview magazines to hit the market, Ohio State is ranked second in the country, behind recent nemesis Florida, and the Buckeyes boast five preseason first team All-Americans, more than any other school.

Phil Steele's 2008 College Football Preview claims that it is the "most accurate" of the preseason publications over the last nine years, and reminds its readers that in 2002, its pick for the No. 1 surprise team was Ohio State, and the Buckeyes went on to win the national championship.

SEE: : OSU-UM past scoresThis year, Steele likes Ohio State's 19 returning starters, the most of any team in the early top 25. He also thinks that after taking his team to the national championship game the past two years and losing, this year Ohio State coach Jim Tressel could get back in the picture holding the glass football. The major challenges appear to be road games against Southern Cal and Wisconsin.

"This could be Tressel's best team yet," Steele said. "Their road trip September 13 to USC looks like a national title semifinal game, but they are talented enough to knock off the Trojans."

John Porentas, a Toledo native and St. Francis de Sales graduate who is editor of the popular Ohio State fan site theozone.net said that talent assessment is likely accurate, and after winning three straight Big Ten championships, the Buckeyes will be subjected to extremely high expectations.

"Last year was basically looked at as a year with some major rebuilding to do, and they went out and won the Big Ten again and made the championship game," he said. "There was less expectation and it was looked on as a good year, despite the two losses. This year, expectations are through the roof, and two losses would be a disaster."

Steele likes Ohio State linebackers James Laurinaitis and Marcus Freeman and cornerback Malcolm Jenkins as first-team All-Americans. In his unit rankings, which gauge the talent/strength/depth of each area on a team, OSU was rated best in the nation at linebacker, just ahead of USC, and the only Big Ten team in the top 15. Penn State, once referred to as "Linebacker U" was rated 27th at the position.

Ohio State's defensive backs were considered the second-best group in the country behind Oregon, while the Buckeyes defensive line ranked third in the nation as a unit.

Steele rated Ohio State the strongest team in the country at running back, where junior Chris "Beanie" Wells was a first team All-American pick. Wells was ranked ahead of Georgia's sensational sophomore Knowshon Moreno. Michigan State's Javon Ringer (6th) and Wisconsin's P.J. Hill (12th) were the only other Big Ten backs in the top 15.

Wells, often mentioned as a serious Heisman Trophy candidate, is joined on that OSU backfield depth chart by speedy sophomore Brandon Saine, senior Maurice Wells (no relation), and redshirt freshman Dan "Boom" Herron, who even the stoic Tressel raves about.

Ohio State's vault full of experience and talent on the offensive line made that unit the second-highest rated in the nation. Senior Alex Boone (6-8, 312) was designated first-team All-American at tackle, while Steve Rehring, a 6-7, 335-pound senior, was selected as the fifth-best guard in the country.

Ohio State quarterback Todd Boeckman was ranked the seventh best in the country, behind top-rated Tim Tebow of Florida, the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner, and second-ranked Curtis Painter of Purdue. Brian Robiskie was rated No. 11 at wide receiver.

Porentas said it would be tough to make a case against any of the five Buckeyes that were first-team picks in Steele's preseason All-American group.

"It would be hard to argue with any of them, because skill-wise, they could all be in the NFL right now," he said.

"Ohio State would have been a very talented team if those guys had left and gone to the pros, but what makes it a really exceptional team is that now they have loads of talent, plus experience. You can't overstate what that's worth."
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Advanced Member
    that is what was said about the 2002 schedule, when osu beat the "unbeatable" hurricanes.
    Miami was years past their prime and had got to that game with to many freshmen verses Ohio in their prime.

Miami was years past their prime and had got to that game with to many freshmen verses Ohio in their prime.
    our starting running back was a freshman. i dont know of too many true freshman running backs (starting that is) that their teams have won a natl champ, if any.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

our starting running back was a freshman. i dont know of too many true freshman running backs (starting that is) that their teams have won a natl champ, if any.
    I can think of two others this decade alone.

Reggie Bush
    Lendale White.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    I can think of two others this decade alone.

Reggie Bush
    Lendale White.

didn't they switch, but bush was the lead?
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Is Jim Tressel the country's best recruiter?

Comments

By OSUeyesFan
    July 8, 2008 11:17 AM | Link to this
    Hey John if you can look at rosters and determine who is better you must be a genius. Why donít you look at the number 1 draft picks during the tressel-carroll era? My guess is the NFL is better evaluator of talent than you.

By Joe
    July 8, 2008 10:50 AM | Link to this
    Tressel is better and that will be proven Sept. 13

By stelz
    July 8, 2008 10:30 AM | Link to this
    I would include Georgia and Alabama with Notre Dame, USC and Florida in the recruiting wars.

By stelz

July 8, 2008 10:30 AM | Link to this
    I would include Georgia and Alabama with Notre Dame, USC and Florida in the recruiting wars.

By stelz

July 8, 2008 10:29 AM | Link to this

By stelz

July 8, 2008 10:29 AM | Link to this

By Rick

July 8, 2008 9:21 AM | Link to this
    Not only can Tressel recruit as good as any coach in America, I recently read where his team has an average GPA of 3.2 Comparisons of Tressel & Carroll can only be assessed in relative terms.

By d-town

July 8, 2008 8:47 AM | Link to this
    For Tressel to get the recruits he gets at a cold weather school, he IS the best. Carroll and Meyer have the warm weather and honies working for them. Carroll does do a good job out of state, look at McKnight and NFL draftee Fred Davis, hes from TOLEDO!!

By Chuck

July 8, 2008 8:27 AM | Link to this
    NoÖHeís the biggest crook.

By kurt

July 8, 2008 7:35 AM | Link to this
    Pete Carrolló-isnít he a stunt man for Richard Gere ? Just another ďpretty boyĒ With UCLA in the dumps,Carroll ought to clean up on the best picks ALL the time

By Bob540

July 7, 2008 11:05 PM | Link to this
    Context, everyone. Recruiting in Florida or California should be a no-brainer. Texas is close behind. Then, Pennsylvania, Ohio and a few other big football-talent states. If Tressel coached in CA or FL, no question heíd get even better talent than he has now because of in-state advantage. Texas likely has more talent, year-in-and-year-out, but Tressel matches or exceeds. Tressel and company do an OUTSTANDING job locking down Ohio and getting top talent from across the country. He is great

By jsam

July 7, 2008 8:55 PM | Link to this
    We will find out on Sept 13th that Jim Tressel is by far the absolute best.

By Priestman

July 7, 2008 8:05 PM | Link to this
    ďOSUĒ is the best recruiter, any coach who coaches OSU gets the cream of the crop. From Woody, to Cooper to Tressel. Only problem is they canít win the big one, with those recruits. With that said, at least they are playing for the big one, not many programs can claim that. Better to play the big game and lose then not play the big one at all.

By Rob

July 7, 2008 7:03 PM | Link to this
    Yeah, and if Jim lived in California he would have just the same, if not more

By VegasBurk

July 7, 2008 6:29 PM | Link to this
    Hey slurpeeman,
    Not sure if you forgot, but Clarettís stories were pretty much all shown to be lied. OSU did not get into any trouble because of Mo. Mo got into trouble himself - making excuses, taking cars and money from boosters and then the inevitable decline into booze, potentially drugs and of course, robbery.
    I donít recall Tressel getting ANY NCAA recruiting violations since he started.

By John

July 7, 2008 6:24 PM | Link to this
    I havenít seen where USC has been found guilty of any thing. Much the same way OSU was never found guilty over all that crap MC said

By chandler

July 7, 2008 6:04 PM | Link to this
    Jim Tressel is hands down the best. I live in So Cal and if you check the roster for USC they are mostly home grown kids itís not like Carrol is cleaning up around the country. He (Carrol) gets the ones he is supposed to get, Tressel gets the tough recruits.

By slurpeeman

July 7, 2008 5:11 PM | Link to this
    Hmmm. Tressel isnít as dirty a Carroll? He operates with ďhonor and integrityĒ?
    Wonder what Maurice Clarett would say about that?

By Dan

July 7, 2008 4:40 PM | Link to this
    Well itís pretty easy to see that Jim Tressel is the best recruiter in College Football. Pete Carroll has violated NCAA rules and regulations several times (Reggie Bush, Matt Leighter, Etc.) Jim Tressel is the only coach in NCAA football that has kept the high standards, and honor at his school. Ohio State is known as The School to play for, compete fairly with honor and integrity and win championships.

By Kurt Amen

July 7, 2008 4:20 PM | Link to this
    Itís pretty easy to recruit by throwing wads of cash and new cars at high school athletes

By Scott

July 7, 2008 4:09 PM | Link to this
    The best judge of who is a better recruiter is record. Itís not about who has more guys in the NFL because thatís not a college coachís job. Itís about winning games. Carroll is 76-14 at USC with a 5-2 Bowl record and 6 Pac-10 titles. Tress is 73-16 at OSU with a 4-3 bowl record and 4 Big 10 titles. Iíd say thatís pretty darn close. And the fact that Tress canít use the weather and climate as a draw gives him a slight edge.

By Scott

July 7, 2008 4:09 PM | Link to this
    The best judge of who is a better recruiter is record. Itís not about who has more guys in the NFL because thatís not a college coachís job. Itís about winning games. Carroll is 76-14 at USC with a 5-2 Bowl record and 6 Pac-10 titles. Tress is 73-16 at OSU with a 4-3 bowl record and 4 Big 10 titles. Iíd say thatís pretty darn close. And the fact that Tress canít use the weather and climate as a draw gives him a slight edge.

By Scott

July 7, 2008 4:08 PM | Link to this

By Bill

July 7, 2008 3:51 PM | Link to this
    If you base it purely on high school rankings than yeah, Pete has been doing better. However, there isnít a team in the nation with more NFlers on it than the Buckeyes right now. Tressell is dominating right now.

By Andrew

July 7, 2008 3:50 PM | Link to this
    If you go off of who is where then yes Carroll and maybe Meyer are better, but where would you rather go to school in So Cal, Florida or in Columbus, Ohio.
    I would say that Tressel is the best recruiter because he is getting kids to go to the land of frumpy sweaters during the winter instead of So Cal or somewhere warm.

By John

July 7, 2008 3:42 PM | Link to this
    NO check out Pete Carroll and USC roster then look at OSU you will see that Pete is alot better
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Banned
    w00t

The Ohio State Buckeyes could very well be headed to the programís third consecutive appearance in the BCS Championship Game.

They are loaded.
    And that fact is reflected in NBCSports.comís preseason college football All-American team.
    Five Buckeyes - running back Chris "Beanie" Wells, offensive tackle Alex Boone, middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, outside linebacker Marcus Freeman and cornerback Malcolm Jenkins Ė are on the first-team unit.
    Undoubtedly, in an era that has featured multiple Big Ten titles and domination of heated rival Michigan, there is something missing for Ohio State. In the biggest game, they have been shooting blanks. But also undoubtedly, Ohio State has the firepower to reach Miamiís Dolphin Stadium and get another crack at No. 1.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Gixxer if you want to be a true die hard fan i found a few items you can add to you ohio st room lol

link to buy

or 2002 Ohio State Buckeyes "National Champions" 10K Ring!

link to buy

old school 1984 Ohio State Buckeyes "Big Ten / Rose Bowl" Champions 10K Gold and Diamond Football Ring

link to buy its real cheap Price: $2,795.00