Thread: Bell Canada can kiss my ***. Throttling and capping introduced

Bell Canada can kiss my ***. Throttling and capping introduced

I suppose the party is over for us up here.

New filings reveal extent, damage of Bell Canada throttling

By Nate Anderson | Published: June 02, 2008 - 01:12PM CT
    Just how bad it is Bell Canada's P2P traffic filtering? Not bad at all, so long as you're happy having your 5Mbps DSL link operate at half the speed of a dial-up modem. That's the assertion of a group of small Canadian ISPs that are asking Canada's telecoms regulator to intervene and force Bell to call off its deep packet inspection dogs.

Half the speed of dial-up

The Canadian Association Internet Providers (CAIP) represents smaller firms that generally purchase wholesale capacity from Bell Canada and resell it under their own brand. When Bell applied its filtering system to this wholesale traffic earlier this year, the operators were outraged, especially as several of them explicitly offered "no throttle" guarantees to customers that they now could not keep.
    In documents filed late last week with the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), CAIP provided evidence showing that the traffic-shaping system used by Bell limits downstream P2P rates to around 30Kbps during peak times. But those "peak times" aren't just a couple of hours in the evening; they extend from 4:30 PM until 2 AM every day, or 9.5 hours out of each 24.
    As CAIP dryly notes, the speed limit "represents a tiny fraction of the 5Mbps downstream data transfer rate" advertised by Bell.

got old

get rogers! Cap isn't as bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilog B
    Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.

That's like replacing a Shark with an Alligator
    got old

I switched from Bell to Rogers and am very pleased. Bell ran me around circles with lousy billing mistakes, erratic service and service technicians who missed 3 scheduled appointments. The d/l speeds were all over the map.
    With Rogers, there's never been a slowdown, billing is correct and the speeds are constantly higher with never any problem.
    No comparison anymore. Bell has gone downhill significantly in the last few years. Perhaps the new ownership, once in place, can turn it around.
    Right now, Rogers has no real competition.

Rogers is capping as well. Not sure on the throttling but definitely capping usage.

https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.po...=INTER_LANDING
    got old