Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IP Addresses; Help would be appreciated!

IP Addresses; Help would be appreciated!

I IP change quite alot, all in the aim of getting the IP with the fastest PING. However, I have a lot of theories as to how one can distinguish how quick an IP address will be without actually using it. However I have no idea if it's working and if I'm really just losing good IPs.

This is where I hope you budding IP address literate people might be able to help me. I know basically what an IP address is, but I'd like to know what the 3rd and 4th number actually means (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) and whether there is a system to distinguish which range of numbers will be quick in an IP.

For instance, I had a 248.1 but tragically lost it in unfortunate circumstances, I currently have a 203.1 but it's awful and alot slower than normal IPs. I was really disappointed since I know .1 has been virtually the best IP I've ever had. Is there a reason for the contrast and if so is it possible to make it quicker (perhaps it's just been over used - if I'm talking nonsense will someone please set me straight about this!)

Thanks in advance!

Angrystrudel

All of you people(usually runescape nuts) are crazy. Your IP does not determine your ping. Maybe you have spyware on your PC, or someone who had that IP assigned to them in the past did and is targeted more by some bots, or maybe bots are just randomly targeting some ranges more than others, but the IP number itself doesn't create different amounts of latency.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    All of you people(usually runescape nuts) are crazy. Your IP does not determine your ping. Maybe you have spyware on your PC, or someone who had that IP assigned to them in the past did and is targeted more by some bots, or maybe bots are just randomly targeting some ranges more than others, but the IP number itself doesn't create different amounts of latency.
    It might not be ping it changes but certain IPs are better than others for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Angrystrudel View Post
    It might not be ping it changes but certain IPs are better than others for whatever reason.
    YardofStuff just explained why.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    YardofStuff just explained why.
    Ok so if they have spyware on them how do I get rid of it (and hence improve it..?)

ccleaner
    spybot
    Adaware

I am sure there are others that they can suggest

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Changing pings...you're still using the same IP...same route to the host...same primary gateway from your ISP..same backbone from your ISP. In other words...you're taking the same path to your destination. Getting a different IP from your ISP does not change your ping.

Some people may think that their performance gets better when they change their IP. But behind the scenes...what many people do to change their pings..is reboot their modem and router. This "freshens up" the modem and router...emptying the IP tables, RAM, etc....so their performance goes up. It's because of this...that their performance goes up...not from the change of IP.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Changing pings...you're still using the same IP...same route to the host...same primary gateway from your ISP..same backbone from your ISP. In other words...you're taking the same path to your destination. Getting a different IP from your ISP does not change your ping.

Some people may think that their performance gets better when they change their IP. But behind the scenes...what many people do to change their pings..is reboot their modem and router. This "freshens up" the modem and router...emptying the IP tables, RAM, etc....so their performance goes up. It's because of this...that their performance goes up...not from the change of IP.
    So why then do I go through 50 in a day and only maybe 1-2 are moderately quick. But they all differ in speeds.

i lol'd.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    So why then do I go through 50 in a day and only maybe 1-2 are moderately quick. But they all differ in speeds.
    Many variables there...timing of when you log into a server..current server loads at that time ....dunno.

I online game in the morning and night..heavy loads with BF2...I never bother changing my IP...I go for months on the same one.

Tuning your computer...keeping it clean, malware free, low impact antivirus
    Quality router, setup correctly...only 1x router..no double NAT'ing
    Be aware of other traffic loads on your network...router
    Quality ISP
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

::::::takes notes:::::

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Many variables there...timing of when you log into a server..current server loads at that time ....dunno.

I online game in the morning and night..heavy loads with BF2...I never bother changing my IP...I go for months on the same one.

Tuning your computer...keeping it clean, malware free, low impact antivirus
    Quality router, setup correctly...only 1x router..no double NAT'ing
    Be aware of other traffic loads on your network...router
    Quality ISP
    My ISP is bad but never had a problem before in terms of getting a good IP. As for keeping my computer clean I defrag files, optimise my internet connections and scan my computer daily.

Advanced Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    i lol'd.
    exactly

My ISP is bad but never had a problem before in terms of getting a good IP. As for keeping my computer clean I defrag files, optimise my internet connections and scan my computer daily.
    Scan with what?

Do you have a virus scanner as well?

Router? Software firewall?

For scanning for spyware/adware, start with CCleaner, then scan with spybot, super antispyware, and if you want a 3rd for good luck windows defender.

To help prevent spyware use the immunize feature of spybot as well as install spyware blaster.

Adaware has become useless IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb31 View Post
    exactly
    Yes, because replying on an internet speed website over 300 times is a better use of my time.

Anyway, back on topic, thanks for feedback. I'll leave this obviously overnight see if any new information comes in. I do think however a lot of people's opinions on IP Adresses are wrong, I think they contrast more than people think.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Scan with what?

Do you have a virus scanner as well?

Router? Software firewall?

For scanning for spyware/adware, start with CCleaner, then scan with spybot, super antispyware, and if you want a 3rd for good luck windows defender.

To help prevent spyware use the immunize feature of spybot as well as install spyware blaster.

Adaware has become useless IMO.
    AVG I use...and I have a firewall.

AVG I use...and I have a firewall.
    Not enough...

As they said above

Spybot
    Spyware Blaster
    Super Anti Spyware
    CCleaner
    Windows Defender

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Changing your IP for better pings is like changing your house address so that your snail mail gets there quicker.

Just like your data takes the same route to the IP, the mailman will too. Unless you leave him a bottle of good scotch, that might change his mind a bit.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Not enough...

As they said above

Super Anti Spyware
    Check my thread in the software forum.

I heard that 127.0.0.1 is the fastest IP address you can get. I know for me I get <1 ms speed all the time.