Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Went to the Drive-In movie theater last night...

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
    I was thinking of going to a drive in with my lady friend. Now, I've never been to one so I need some advice to get the best action opportunities.

If we both sat in the front seat, it'd be hard to reach over but it'll be easier to watch the movie. If we both sat in the back seat, it'll be easy to reach over but can't really see the screen from there.

What do you folks recommend? Ohh.. now I see why people get a convertable....
    action, as in hubba hubba action? if that is the case, if you both want it you will find a way, even if you took a bike.
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Drive-Ins are way cool. I had done quite a bit of research into opening one up around here, our last one closed about 15 years ago. Not only was the cost of the land needed outrageous, the price to license a movie was way up there too.

When I was in the IT field one of our largest clients was the Grand Theaters. Just days after Katrina hit, he hired the main tech from our office that was sent out for most of his trouble calls. (for a astronomical salary too from what I hear) Anyway, the lady in charge of accounting had given me many leads in who to talk to, and what prices for movies would be. She gave me a huge amount of inside scoop on how things where run too.

Needless to say though, it was all just a big pipe dream for me. Without some serious financial backup, I’d never get one open. The way weather is around here, you could run it almost year round too.

Indy, did they have the old skool speakers on poles or did you tune in the sound through FM radio? About a year before the one closed down around here, they upgraded to FM radio. That had a nice sound. If you didn’t have a radio for some reason, you could leave your driver’s license at the concession stand and they would lend you a cheap little FM radio.

They also had a little “jumper wagon” they would roll over to your car and jump you off if you should run your battery dead.

Yep, I miss the drive-ins.

site

http://www.drive-ins.com/
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

http://www.drive-ins.com/showing/catskyl
    is the one i go to i might go tonight seeing how all the movies are good.

Drive In's are great! Cheap, and you can bring your own food/snacks, drinks, whatever. Call in and pick up a pizza on the way, or a bucket of chicken, whatever! Much cheaper than a theater, here anyways.

They supplement their income by having a flea market there during the day. Lots of open land, why not...

Fun Land has 4 screens, with each screen typically showing 2 different movies per night. 2 first run movies for ~$5 a person, like a sore wienee, you just can't beat it!

For us, winter is the time to go. Take out the lawn chairs and relax! Summer is too hot and the bug factor comes into play as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    Indy, did they have the old skool speakers on poles or did you tune in the sound through FM radio? About a year before the one closed down around here, they upgraded to FM radio. That had a nice sound. If you didn’t have a radio for some reason, you could leave your driver’s license at the concession stand and they would lend you a cheap little FM radio.

They also had a little “jumper wagon” they would roll over to your car and jump you off if you should run your battery dead.

They had the FM radio broadcast here. About the old school sound systems: What's interesting is that at work, we use a wiring harness test system on our aircraft created by DITMCO. Back before DITMCO got into aviation wiring testing, they developed drive in theater sound systems. Hence the name: Drive In Theater Manufacturing Company. When the drive-in movie industry ebbed, they got into the aviation business...
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    For us, winter is the time to go. Take out the lawn chairs and relax! Summer is too hot and the bug factor comes into play as well.
    Obviously that's a bit of a regional thing, since the Drive In theater in my area wouldn't get much business when there's six feet of snow on the ground.

For the record, the best one in the area rocks both the FM and the old school crappy speakers.

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    First and last time I went was in Cape Breton Island. Saw Air Force One. I liked the atmosphere too. Had to buy the DVD when it came out since I missed parts during the original showing.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Quote Originally Posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff View Post
    First and last time I went was in Cape Breton Island. Saw Air Force One. I liked the atmosphere too. Had to buy the DVD when it came out since I missed parts during the original showing.
    sO YOUR AYING sHAKESPERE

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    have all the ones around canton been closed? i am lucky and have one less than 5 miles from me. then there are about 2-3 within 30 mins.
    We used to have like 5 of them in the area. We have 0 now. Akron still has 1 or 2, but that's the closest to me.

http://www.driveintheater.com/drivlist.htm
    Last edited by blebs; 06-04-08 at 02:39 AM.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

I think theres only 2 left in connecticut.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    I think theres only 2 left in connecticut.
    Operating Theatres
    Mansfield Drive-In Theatre
    228 Stafford Road, Mansfield Center, CT 06250 (860) 423-4441

Southington Drive-In
    935 Meriden Waterbury Turnpike, Plantsville, CT 06479 (860) 628-2205

Pleasant Valley Drive-In
    Pleasant Valley, CT 06063 (860) 379-6102
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by blebs99 View Post
    Operating Theatres
    Mansfield Drive-In Theatre
    228 Stafford Road, Mansfield Center, CT 06250 (860) 423-4441

Southington Drive-In
    935 Meriden Waterbury Turnpike, Plantsville, CT 06479 (860) 628-2205

Pleasant Valley Drive-In
    Pleasant Valley, CT 06063 (860) 379-6102
    Southington drive-in is no longer open.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Southington drive-in is no longer open.
    Well then your correct. Only 2 left.

Quote Originally Posted by blebs99 View Post
    Well then your correct. Only 2 left.
    Sweet!!! What do I win!?