Thread: No Local Network Access

No Local Network Access

This morning I came into the office and booted up my laptop expecting to get right to work on a printer problem we are having. Once booted, I tried accessing one of our servers and received an error saying that device was already in use.

I rebooted my laptop and the same error occurred. I tried accessing a different server and received the same error. Next, i figured I would try printing to one of our network printers and, sure enough, the same error popped up.

Finally, I decided to try accessing the Internet. I went to several different sites without any problems. I can also access our router as normal.
    Basically, I just can't access local network resources such as: servers, printers, other workstations, etc.

Pulling up the connection properties shows that everything is set as it should be. Also, I receive a valid IP from DHCP. Pinging our main server's IP provides a typical, good result. No packet loss, time<1ms. However, if I try to ping the server name, the host cannot be found.

I can't figure out what the problem is. I'll try using a manual IP address instead of automatic just to see what happens, but do you guys have any info or ideas? If you need more info just let me know...

Oh and I also ran a virus scan just in case. Results were negative.
    Prayed like a martyr dusk til dawn
    Begged like a hooker all night long
    Tempted the devil with my song
    And got what I wanted all along

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Sounds like you're getting your routers LAN IP, or your ISPs DNS servers, as your DNS servers..instead of your domain controllers IP.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I didn't even notice that... once you said that, I realized that the DNS was my ISP's DNS (guess I wasn't awake enough to catch that?). I am actually rebooting one of our servers right now (spooling issue with the network printer I mentioned) and as soon the re-boot process began, the correct DNS showed up. Now I can connect to all network resources. Does this make any sense?

I'd want to know "What the heck screwed up my DHCP...and why is DHCP handing out my ISPs DNS servers instead of my DCs IPs?"

Did DHCP on a router get enabled? Did someone plug in a new router or some new wireless unit? If so...the Windows server will often stop its DHCP service if it detects another one on the network. Or..more commonly...if another DHCP service conflicts with the proper one running from your server..for some reason XP clients will get the correct info from your server...EXCEPT DNS..they'll get DNS from the alternate source.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

We did add a wireless router that is set up as a WAP about a month and a half ago... would that cause any problems? Since the router is being used as a WAP, DHCP is turned off so I wouldn't think it would cause a problem. Other than that we haven't done any recent changes.

We have a managed router from ATT (for T1), and behind that we have a RV-082 VPN Router. Haven't made any settings changes on the 82 in a good while though. It wouldn't be a conflict there would it?

Also, it seems that only my laptop was having this issue... why didn't other workstations experience the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by themillerj View Post
    We did add a wireless router that is set up as a WAP about a month and a half ago... would that cause any problems? Since the router is being used as a WAP, DHCP is turned off so I wouldn't think it would cause a problem. Other than that we haven't done any recent changes.

We have a managed router from ATT (for T1), and behind that we have a RV-082 VPN Router. Haven't made any settings changes on the 82 in a good while though. It wouldn't be a conflict there would it?

Also, it seems that only my laptop was having this issue... why didn't other workstations experience the problem?
    Not sure.....assuming that you're running active directory, and that you were running DHCP from one of your servers..
    I'd check that the DHCP service is running from your server, that it didn't shut itself down (the service). If it did shut down...."why"?
    I'd check to see that there are no other routers/access points that someone just came in and plugged in themselves, and that if you find any...and decide to allow them on the network...ensure that DHCP is disabled, and the LAN IP of the unit doesn't conflict with anything on your network.
    Perhaps if your laptop was the only thing affected...you didn't latch onto another nearby wireless network by mistake?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Well, the same problem occurred today about an hour after I came in. A user complained about not being able to print to our network printer again, so I figured I would check my network connection (just in case the two were related). Sure enough, I had a connection to the Internet but not out local network. By the time I went to check my DNS settings, the problem had corrected itself.

No one has added any equipment, so I decided to check our DHCP server. Now, I have to go into a little background to explain the situation correctly...

We have been planning on replacing our DHCP server for awhile now, but I have been waiting because I was going to be out of town for the week and didn't want to make any major changes before I got back. Now, I've taken vacation and we are ready to go ahead with the plan. The reasons we are doing so is simple; the server is out of storage space and it is time for an upgrade anyhow. The C: partition on the server has been about 98% full for awhile now.

Okay, so now that I've given some background, back to the present. When I logged into the DHCP server, I checked the free space on the C: partition and there was 0 bytes free. Yes, you can imagine how stupid I felt right about then. I took off every unnecessary program and performed disk cleanup which gave me a whopping 7 MB free space.

Obviously, this could be the problem. I'm planning on taking care of this situation ASAP. That should fix the problem, am I right?

I know... why did I ever let free space get so low in the first place??? I don't really have a good explanation for that one (I don't imagine there really is a good excuse anyway).

As for why I was the only one experiencing problems with no local network... it is most likely because I move my laptop around alot. I assume that when I try to reconnect to the network, it just cant resolve DNS. Most other users leave their workstations on, so they don't have to worry about reconnecting to the network as often.

If you have any thoughts, please share them. In the meantime, I'll keep posting updates while we bring in the new server...

There ya go..yeah,the DHCP database is probably cramped..and getting corrupted. I also exlude the DHCP database directory from antivirus real time protection.

Here's what I base my exclusion list on.....this shows for Small Business Server..but you still get an idea of at least what to exclude on standard server
    Exchange Server Database = C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mdbdata (see note above)
    Exchange MTA files = C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mtadata
    Exchange Message tracking log files = C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\server_name.log
    Exchange SMTP Mailroot = C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot
    Exchange working files = C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mdbdata
    Site Replication Service (not normally used in SBS but should be excluded anyway) = C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\srsdata
    C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Conndata

IIS related Exclusions
    IIS System Files = C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv
    IIS Compression Folder = C:\WINDOWS\IIS Temporary Compressed Files

Domain Controller related exclusions
    Active Directory database files = C:\WINDOWS\NTDS
    SYSVOL C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL
    NTFRS Database Files = C:\WINDOWS\ntfrs

Windows SharePoint Services
    Temporary SharePoint space = C:\windows\temp\Frontpagetempdir

Additional Exclusions
    Removable Storage Database (used by SBS Backup) = C:\Windows\System32\ntmsdata
    SBS POP3 connector Failed Mail = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Networking\POP3\Failed Mail
    SBS POP3 connector Incoming Mail = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Networking\POP3\Incoming Mail
    Windows Update Store = C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore
    DHCP Database Store = C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp
    WINS Database Store = C:\WINDOWS\system32\wins

Desktop Folder Exclusions
    These folders need to be excluded in the desktops and notebooks clients.

Windows Update Store = C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

Above list taken from the following website...
    http://www.sbsfaq.com/Lists/FAQs/DispForm.aspx?ID=137

Now...so yeah your DHCP service is probably a bit wonky......possibly corrupted.

So..what is giving the XP clients the incorrect DNS servers? Normally if a servers DHCP service fails/gets corrupted...it just stops serving clients..fills up with leases..doesn't scavenge out old leases, etc...so workstations usually get the network connectivity error because they pickup a 169.254.xxx.xxx address. So...my hunch is..some roque DHCP service is also on your network. Perhaps temporarily shut down the servers DHCP service...run an ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig/renew on a workstation...and see if it picks up from another on using ipconfig /all...since the DHCP servers IP is listed when you do that.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Alright. Thanks for the info. I'll be setting up exclusions this afternoon (or in the morning depending on what else needs to be done).

So if I turn off DHCP, do a /dnsflush on a station, and I still get DNS, then that would be coming from the rogue service? The incorrect DNS I had before was from our ISP. Could the managed router (Cisco 1800 series) that they supplied be assigning the DNS when DHCP fails?

As a side note, the problem we were having with the network printer is actually because of the no free space issue. I installed the printer on a newer server (will plenty of room) and now it works like a charms. There just wasn't enough room for spooling i suppose...

Could the managed router (Cisco 1800 series) that they supplied be assigning the DNS when DHCP fails?

As a side note, the problem we were having with the network printer is actually because of the no free space issue. I installed the printer on a newer server (will plenty of room) and now it works like a charms. There just wasn't enough room for spooling i suppose...
    It could be..I've seen that in enough situations when I walk into a strange network to troubleshoot it...someone leaves the DHCP service running on a router...and in the move to upgrade to the DHCP service from a server...it ends up causing issues. Remember..you generally want only 1x DHCP service on each network...generally it's preferred to have it running on one of your active directory boxes.

Yes...cramped space can cause print spooler errors..that needs room to..spool the jobs.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Gotcha. I just had someone walk me through setting up our new server as the Domain Controller (to take care of any free-space issues). He knows more about it than I do, so I figured I would just let him guide me through the process.

After rebooting the servers, I noticed that my workstation still says that the DHCP server is the server we supposedly just replaced. I did ipconfig /release /renew and /flushdns to make sure my workstation didn't just need to be updated, but it still says the same server.

Whenever I go to Active Directory and check which one the DC is, it tells me that the new server is... did we possibly miss something when we were swapping DC's, or am I just missing something now?

Gotcha. I just had someone walk me through setting up our new server as the Domain Controller (to take care of any free-space issues). He knows more about it than I do, so I figured I would just let him guide me through the process.

Whenever I go to Active Directory and check which one the DC is, it tells me that the new server is... did we possibly miss something when we were swapping DC's, or am I just missing something now?
    Hmmmm...usually setting up a new DC...in existing active directory..is a fairly involved process...not overly complicated..but in an existing production environment..something I usually do over a period of a few days...join the directory....DCPROMO the new box....take over the FSMO roles, GC, etc. Eyeball replication.

Old server get fully retired? Or new server have a different IP address?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

The new server has a different IP. We actually implemented it a few months back and we're just now getting around to making it the DC. I wanted to make sure it was up and running w/o any problems before we switched.
    We're going to move the old server to a different location to do full off-site backups.

Yesterday, all we did was transfer the master DNS over. From what he said on the phone, I thought he was saying that DHCP would be transferred as well. I was just getting ahead of myself. This is the first time I've been involved in creating a new DC. He's going to walk me through the rest of the transfer, and then hopefully we'll be up and running smoothly.

No DHCP has to be separately moved as its own service.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

We just finished moving DHCP from the old DC to the new DC about an hour ago. Everything seems to be running smoothly now. We went ahead and removed the old DC from the domain and we will be wiping it clean to use as a backup server at a different location.

Also, we took care of the rogue DHCP problem. It turns out that DHCP WAS enabled on our VPN router. Originally, I had turned it off when I set up the router, but we had someone else come in to help with a problem and they wiped out the settings. Thus, he had to go back through and set it up again. I guess he didn't disable DHCP. I should have checked more thoroughly, but I don't plan on letting anyone mess with our router again anyway.

Thanks for all the help. It would have taken a lot longer (and been more painful) to figure out what was going on.

Also, we took care of the rogue DHCP problem. It turns out that DHCP WAS enabled on our VPN router. Originally, I had turned it off when I set up the router, but we had someone else come in to help with a problem and they wiped out the settings. Thus, he had to go back through and set it up again. I guess he didn't disable DHCP. I should have checked more thoroughly, but I don't plan on letting anyone mess with our router again anyway.
    I see that happen a lot. Especially with ISP support....they don't know about (and usually don't care about) the network behind a router....all they're concerned about is getting the router back to their default settings.
    Guinness for Strength!!!