Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exclusive: McClellan whacks Bush, White House in new book.

Exclusive: McClellan whacks Bush, White House in new book.

Wow....I'm speechless. I really am!

Excerpts from the article.

• McClellan charges that Bush relied on “propaganda” to sell the war.

• He says the White House press corps was too easy on the administration during the run-up to the war.

• He admits that some of his own assertions from the briefing room podium turned out to be “badly misguided.”

• The longtime Bush loyalist also suggests that two top aides held a secret West Wing meeting to get their story straight about the CIA leak case at a time when federal prosecutors were after them — and McClellan was continuing to defend them despite mounting evidence they had not given him all the facts.

• McClellan asserts that the aides — Karl Rove, the president’s senior adviser, and I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby, the vice president’s chief of staff — “had at best misled” him about their role in the disclosure of former CIA operative Valerie Plame’s identity.

. He writes, for example, that after Hurricane Katrina, the White House “spent most of the first week in a state of denial,” and he blames Rove for suggesting the photo of the president comfortably observing the disaster during an Air Force One flyover. McClellan says he and counselor to the president Dan Bartlett had opposed the idea and thought it had been scrapped.
    But he writes that he later was told that “Karl was convinced we needed to do it — and the president agreed.”

“One of the worst disasters in our nation’s history became one of the biggest disasters in Bush’s presidency. Katrina and the botched federal response to it would largely come to define Bush’s second term,” he writes. “And the perception of this catastrophe was made worse by previous decisions President Bush had made, including, first and foremost, the failure to be open and forthright on Iraq and rushing to war with inadequate planning and preparation for its aftermath.”

McClellan lost some of his former friends in the administration last November when his publisher released an excerpt from the book that appeared to accuse Bush of participating in the cover-up of the Plame leak. The book, however, makes clear that McClellan believes Bush was also a victim of misinformation.

The book begins with McClellan’s statement to the press that he had talked with Rove and Libby and that they had assured him they “were not involved in … the leaking of classified information.”

At Libby’s trial, testimony showed the two had talked with reporters about the officer, however elliptically.

“I had allowed myself to be deceived into unknowingly passing along a falsehood,” McClellan writes. “It would ultimately prove fatal to my ability to serve the president effectively. I didn’t learn that what I’d said was untrue until the media began to figure it out almost two years later.

“Neither, I believe, did President Bush. He, too, had been deceived and therefore became unwittingly involved in deceiving me. But the top White House officials who knew the truth — including Rove, Libby and possibly Vice President Cheney — allowed me, even encouraged me, to repeat a lie.”

• Steve Hadley, then the deputy national security adviser, said about the erroneous assertion about Saddam Hussein seeking uranium, included in the State of the Union address of 2003: “Signing off on these facts is my responsibility. … And in this case, I blew it. I think the only solution is for me to resign.” The offer “was rejected almost out of hand by others present,” McClellan writes.

• Bush was “clearly irritated, … steamed,” when McClellan informed him that chief economic adviser Larry Lindsey had told The Wall Street Journal that a possible war in Iraq could cost from $100 billion to $200 billion: “‘It’s unacceptable,’ Bush continued, his voice rising. ‘He shouldn’t be talking about that.’”

• “As press secretary, I spent countless hours defending the administration from the podium in the White House briefing room. Although the things I said then were sincere, I have since come to realize that some of them were badly misguided.”

• “History appears poised to confirm what most Americans today have decided: that the decision to invade Iraq was a serious strategic blunder. No one, including me, can know with absolute certainty how the war will be viewed decades from now when we can more fully understand its impact. What I do know is that war should only be waged when necessary, and the Iraq war was not necessary.”

• McClellan describes his preparation for briefing reporters during the Plame frenzy: “I could feel the adrenaline flowing as I gave the go-ahead for Josh Deckard, one of my hard-working, underpaid press office staff, … to give the two-minute warning so the networks could prepare to switch to live coverage the moment I stepped into the briefing room.”

Wow........

I never figured McCellan for one to actually write a book on this. Money talks and in this case, I'm glad it does. There are a lot of things in that book that are major things we've discussed on this forum and sometimes in great detail. It feels great to be vindicated by someone as close to Bush as McCellan was. I'm sure he's no longer very close to the Bush family or the insiders. Let the rants begin

What a hypocrite.
    got old

i like him, and ari fliescher (sp)
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

I was watching Morning Joe today, and I was kind of surprised that pretty much everyone on that show trashed McClellan for writing the book, "betraying" Bush, and having "the nerve to make money off it". I kind of thought of the folks on that show as at least leaning to the liberal side... but they just seemed disgusted by McClellan for writing the book, and I don't really get why...? I mean if all that he's saying is true I'm glad he had the balls to come out and say it. It's hard to get mad at someone for "betraying" Bush, ect, when Bush has been such a terrible president and is responsible (in my opinion anyway) for so many awful things, such as the Iraq war.
    There is security in fearlessness.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmprincess View Post
    I was watching Morning Joe today, and I was kind of surprised that pretty much everyone on that show trashed McClellan for writing the book, "betraying" Bush, and having "the nerve to make money off it". I kind of thought of the folks on that show as at least leaning to the liberal side... but they just seemed disgusted by McClellan for writing the book, and I don't really get why...? I mean if all that he's saying is true I'm glad he had the balls to come out and say it. It's hard to get mad at someone for "betraying" Bush, ect, when Bush has been such a terrible president and is responsible (in my opinion anyway) for so many awful things, such as the Iraq war.

Talking points, Princess..... The fact is, it's a myth that the press is really liberal over all.

Betraying? Give me a break. lol

Yeah, I can't get too upset over Bush being "betrayed", either. As far as I'm concerned he's betrayed the whole country by getting us into a war we didn't need to go fight.

Anyway, maybe the folks on Morning Joe are just mad that McClellan said the so-called liberal press were too soft on the administration, not asking enough tough questions about the war. It's not the first time that's been said, and I definitely think there's some truth to it.
    There is security in fearlessness.

Gotta love a guy who can speak and represent the voice of the president for as long as he did, each and everyday to the world media at press briefings. Then when offered a pile of money, he writes a tell all book, and then goes on the book / speaking circuit for even more money. How can you respect a person who can say one thing and say something else for money? Mr McCellan is not much of a stand up guy, no anyone I care to give money to. just to read a book designed to make him money so late in President Bushes time in office. The ship is sinking so lets cash in.

Todays news has nothing to do with responcible reporting of the news. It's all about ratings and profit. Anything to make money and ratings. Even to make the reporting news anchor or reporter in the spot light even more popular. Self gratification... Makes me want to puke.

President Bush should have hired better people than Mr. McClallan. Stories like this fuel Al Quida's effort to promote and rebuild terrorism (a cash industry in todays modern Islam). Books like this, and lack of continured support by congress, do nothing to curb or stop terrorist activity. It's ok for polititions to sway and bend to popularity poles, Vs. following trough on your support of an un popular war.

If you are all ok, with the world trade center as it stands today. Then I hope the next 911 terrorist act lands on your front lawn, or takes someone away from you, whom you care about. Personally I support caring about the Iraqi people. I believe 25 million Iraqi's largely agree in freedom of choice. Wheather they know how to co-operate with each other or not. They deserve a right to try and govern themselves. The UN's lack of involvement in this matter is just plain sad. To date, we have not seen a drop of any of that Oil you may be thinking about, so please don't bring any of that to the thread.

Some folks have stated that Sadam was not a "Terrorist" or "linked to Bin Ladan" or had he any WMD on his soil. Hummm.... Sadam killed nearly 1 million of his own country men in his tenure... Not a terrorist? Sadam used chemical weapons on these country men.. AKA: Weapons of Mass Distruction. Some will say none of this matters or is of concern to anyone outside of Iraq's borders. I guess you also forgot about Iraq invading Kwait in Aug 90. It was a matter of concern to them. Can you recall how many chances we gave to Saddam to comply with weapons inspections after the Gulf war in 91?.

As far as what history may record in the decades to come about President Bush and the current state of todays gulf war. I think it will some up. "Too little to late, we should have rolled in sooner, dug in longer and stayed for several decades. Dragged the corrupt UN in, kicking and screaming in support of the effort of stabilizing Iraq. We the UN membership should have united and Stood together against Iran and not drag it's feet any, on nucular inspections in that country". The leadership and direction that country plans on going is just plain alarming.

If you think any Democrate running for office is going to actually pull out our troops out od Iraq, as part of some campaign promiss.... Well I might have a bridge in Brooklin I'd like to sell you... cheap. McCain has the balls to say this is not true, we are going to be there awhile. This will not be over with soon.
    Last edited by Far-N-Wide; 05-29-08 at 02:56 AM.
    USAF RETIRED

*popcorn.gif*

Quote Originally Posted by Far-N-Wide View Post
    Gotta love a guy who can speak and represent the voice of the president for as long as he did, each and everyday to the world media at press briefings. Then when offered a pile of money, he writes a tell all book, and then goes on the book / speaking circuit for even more money. How can you respect a person who can say one thing and say something else for money? Mr McCellan is not much of a stand up guy, no anyone I care to give money to. just to read a book designed to make him money so late in President Bushes time in office. The ship is sinking so lets cash in.

Todays news has nothing to do with responcible reporting of the news. It's all about ratings and profit. Anything to make money and ratings. Even to make the reporting news anchor or reporter in the spot light even more popular. Self gratification... Makes me want to puke.

President Bush should have hired better people than Mr. McClallan. Stories like this fuel Al Quida's effort to promote and rebuild terrorism (a cash industry in todays modern Islam). Books like this, and lack of continured support by congress, do nothing to curb or stop terrorist activity. It's ok for polititions to sway and bend to popularity poles, Vs. following trough on your support of an un popular war.

If you are all ok, with the world trade center as it stands today. Then I hope the next 911 terrorist act lands on your front lawn, or takes someone away from you, whom you care about. Personally I support caring about the Iraqi people. I believe 25 million Iraqi's largely agree in freedom of choice. Wheather they know how to co-operate with each other or not. They deserve a right to try and govern themselves. The UN's lack of involvement in this matter is just plain sad. To date, we have not seen a drop of any of that Oil you may be thinking about, so please don't bring any of that to the thread.

Some folks have stated that Sadam was not a "Terrorist" or "linked to Bin Ladan" or had he any WMD on his soil. Hummm.... Sadam killed nearly 1 million of his own country men in his tenure... Not a terrorist? Sadam used chemical weapons on these country men.. AKA: Weapons of Mass Distruction. Some will say none of this matters or is of concern to anyone outside of Iraq's borders. I guess you also forgot about Iraq invading Kwait in Aug 90. It was a matter of concern to them. Can you recall how many chances we gave to Saddam to comply with weapons inspections after the Gulf war in 91?.

As far as what history may record in the decades to come about President Bush and the current state of todays gulf war. I think it will some up. "Too little to late, we should have rolled in sooner, dug in longer and stayed for several decades. Dragged the corrupt UN in, kicking and screaming in support of the effort of stabilizing Iraq. We the UN membership should have united and Stood together against Iran and not drag it's feet any, on nucular inspections in that country". The leadership and direction that country plans on going is just plain alarming.

If you think any Democrate running for office is going to actually pull out our troops out od Iraq, as part of some campaign promiss.... Well I might have a bridge in Brooklin I'd like to sell you... cheap. McCain has the balls to say this is not true, we are going to be there awhile. This will not be over with soon.
    I have no idea what to say to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Far-N-Wide View Post
    If you are all ok, with the world trade center as it stands today. Then I hope the next 911 terrorist act lands on your front lawn, or takes someone away from you, whom you care about. .
    So because people disagree with how this war is handled you believe they should have a terrorist act committed against them Far-N-Wide? The World Trade Center and Iraq are two different things. It's the WTC and Afghanistan that are tied together. It's already been proven over and over that there is no ties between the people who hit the WTC and Pentagon with the people running Iraq.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    So because people disagree with how this war is handled you believe they should have a terrorist act committed against them Far-N-Wide? The World Trade Center and Iraq are two different things. It's the WTC and Afghanistan that are tied together. It's already been proven over and over that there is no ties between the people who hit the WTC and Pentagon with the people running Iraq.
    I'll agree with his statement that McLellan is a tool for coming out with this now. Where the Hell was he years ago with this? Most of this crap we already knew or figured out for ourselves. He's an ass trying to make a buck in the waning months of the administration. Screw him.The rest of FNW's post is sad statement of the gullibility of the majority of the American public.

Quote Originally Posted by Izzo View Post
    I'll agree with his statement that McLellan is a tool for coming out with this now. Where the Hell was he years ago with this? Most of this crap we already knew or figured out for ourselves. He's an ass trying to make a buck in the waning months of the administration. Screw him.The rest of FNW's post is sad statement of the gullibility of the majority of the American public.
    I agree with that aspect also. In my last remark I was addressing Far-N-Wide's comments on terrorism. As for McClellan his comments are accurate based on what I have seen and heard, but regardless of that I don't recall him stepping down due to differences with the Administration. If he had perhaps I would have cut him some slack, but as it's been stated this smacks of a desire to make money.

Ya know its funny... last night they were talking to several guys that used to be on the team with him, and all of them pretty much said that he isn't the same guy he used to be and would love to know why he's saying such things against how he felt to begin with. Also I believe someone questioned his editor whom had changed alot of the books wording to make it look better.

Major two faced here and to even write this book suggests he's only trying to make money off his own lies.

But for once I agree with Izzo here... If this was such important news he should have been bringing it up years ago when it mattered instead of trying to make a buck off these stories if they are lies or not..that point is rather mute.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Ya know its funny... last night they were talking to several guys that used to be on the team with him, and all of them pretty much said that he isn't the same guy he used to be and would love to know why he's saying such things against how he felt to begin with. Also I believe someone questioned his editor whom had changed alot of the books wording to make it look better.

Major two faced here and to even write this book suggests he's only trying to make money off his own lies.

But for once I agree with Izzo here... If this was such important news he should have been bringing it up years ago when it mattered instead of trying to make a buck off these stories if they are lies or not..that point is rather mute.

Yep the talking points monkey's are out in full swing, trying to do damage control.

Lies? LMAO!

By the way, his publisher has already stated over and over that the words in that book are McCellan's own.

Money? WTF? Why would anyone write a book about the hell years he must have went through if it wasn't at least in part for money. The rest is to state his own thoughts on what's turned out to be the worst presidency in modern memory.

Turn off Fox and read the book, then decide.

As I stated in my first post, there is NOTHING in that book, that hasn't already been brought up here.

As to brining it up years ago? LOL That's hogwash if you think about it. He still felt a strong loyalty to Bush. Something that this sitting president just doesn't ask for, he demands. Not just that, your loyalty is always tested by him in that you HAVE to always agree with him or you're out the door.

IMHO it just took McClellan a while to sort through all the b.s.

Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    It's already been proven over and over that there is no ties between the people who hit the WTC and Pentagon with the people running Iraq.
    I will have to disagree with this statement, I thought it was our own Govt. that executed 9-11 and aren't they running Iraq now!

Is it bad when I read that and think, I'm not shocked one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by cybotron r_9 View Post
    I will have to disagree with this statement, I thought it was our own Govt. that executed 9-11 and aren't they running Iraq now!

Quote Originally Posted by cybotron r_9 View Post
    Tounge in cheek..lol

Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Yep the talking points monkey's are out in full swing, trying to do damage control.

Lies? LMAO!

By the way, his publisher has already stated over and over that the words in that book are McCellan's own.

Money? WTF? Why would anyone write a book about the hell years he must have went through if it wasn't at least in part for money. The rest is to state his own thoughts on what's turned out to be the worst presidency in modern memory.

Turn off Fox and read the book, then decide.

As I stated in my first post, there is NOTHING in that book, that hasn't already been brought up here.

As to brining it up years ago? LOL That's hogwash if you think about it. He still felt a strong loyalty to Bush. Something that this sitting president just doesn't ask for, he demands. Not just that, your loyalty is always tested by him in that you HAVE to always agree with him or your out the door.

IMHO it just took McClellan a while to sort through all the b.s.
    Its all about the money... and yes I believe most of it which I didn't read the book but after reviewing the highlights and listening to whom you say are doing "damage control" God forbid they are telling the truth here vs him lying.

Again...if this was so important..any of it, then it should have been told years ago and not wait till you can do a book of it to obviously gain nothing more than money and perhaps some fame which are coming from people like yourself. Are you going to be at his first book signing?

IMHO thats all this book is... b.s.