Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Newegg.com - Important Notice About State of New York Tax Law

  1. #1

    Newegg.com - Important Notice About State of New York Tax Law

    Dear Valued Newegg Customer,

    As a result of recent changes in the State of New York Tax Law requiring certain out-of-state retailers to collect and remit sales taxes to the State of New York, we regrettably inform you that Newegg.com must begin collecting applicable state and local sales tax for all orders shipped to New York addresses on or after June 1, 2008.

    Qualified business customers can continue to use the Newegg.com Sales Tax Exempt Form.

    We value our relationship with you and all of our New York customers. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this change in New York law and assure you that we will continue to work hard to offer you the best prices, fastest shipping and award winning customer service you deserve.

    We look forward to continuing to provide you with the premier online shopping experience for all of your IT and Consumer Electronics needs.

    Sincerely,

    Bernard Luthi
    Newegg.com
    Company Spokesperson and
    Vice President of Merchandising
    .

  2. #2
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Yeah total BS if you ask me.... Lets hope other states don't follow this and someone fights NewYorks law on this.

  3. #3
    NYC Newbie Slayer Prey521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Humble, Tx
    Posts
    34,934
    I'm an Amazonaholic and I hope that they at least fight this to the end.

  4. #4
    Between Light & Shadows Unholy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Somewhere Over There
    Posts
    2,818
    I've been paying sales tax at newegg since the beginning.
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

  5. #5
    Elite Member Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    13,231
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrazen View Post
    I'm an Amazonaholic and I hope that they at least fight this to the end.
    .

  6. #6
    A+, Security+, Mobility+ Shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    4,432
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Yeah total BS if you ask me.... Lets hope other states don't follow this and someone fights NewYorks law on this.
    Yep.. it is BS.. it should never had happen.
    _______________________________________________
    Vendor neutral certified in IT Project Management, IT Security, Cisco Networking, Cisco Security, Wide Area Networks, IPv6, IT Hardware, Unix, Linux, and Windows server administration

  7. #7
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    While I don't like to see it either, I think it's only a matter of time before all states with a sales tax, start collecting.

    Some already do if the site you purchase from, has any kind of business in that state.


    Think of it this way. How much income have the various states lost do to internet sales? What are the long term ramifications to your local businesses when internet sales have an advantage of getting you a better price since there isn't a sales tax to collect?

    Both are huge.

    Before you jump down my throat, I enjoy buying over the net. One of the big reasons is no sales tax on big items I might buy. I'm just showing the other side of the coin that most of you seem to be missing and that is....it IS affecting how your state collects taxes. That revenue has to be made up somehow or services need to be cut.

  8. #8
    Resident Atheist Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Orangevale ,Ca
    Posts
    18,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    I've been paying sales tax at newegg since the beginning.
    me too

  9. #9
    SG Enthusiast horsemen_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Edwards Air force base Ca
    Posts
    1,488
    they should have a Exempt for military address also seeing how on base you don't pay any tax

  10. #10
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    While I don't like to see it either, I think it's only a matter of time before all states with a sales tax, start collecting.
    Ohh they will try..but I'm sure to fight it tooth and nail with my vote and say. But they will only fight harder since they are losing too much money on lost taxes from that gas tax they are missing out on since people are cutting back on buying gas cause they just can't afford it. Guess you have to screw the public some how.

  11. #11
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Ohh they will try..but I'm sure to fight it tooth and nail with my vote and say. But they will only fight harder since they are losing too much money on lost taxes from that gas tax they are missing out on since people are cutting back on buying gas cause they just can't afford it. Guess you have to screw the public some how.
    Of course, bring gas into this as well.


    Aren't people suppose to do somethign with taxes at the end of the year with stuff bought online to pay sales tax that way?

  12. #12
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Of course, bring gas into this as well.


    Are you that blind that they will have to try to suck up that lost tax money some where?? Its clear to see they can't get it from gas as much as they used to cause of people cutting back so this is another way to get it. Virginia is trying to raise the vehicle registration another 10$ a year... They are doing everything they can to milk lost tax flow.

  13. #13
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Are you that blind that they will have to try to suck up that lost tax money some where?? Its clear to see they can't get it from gas as much as they used to cause of people cutting back so this is another way to get it. Virginia is trying to raise the vehicle registration another 10$ a year... They are doing everything they can to milk lost tax flow.
    That, or they want the money they're losing to online purchases back.

  14. #14
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    That, or they want the money they're losing to online purchases back.
    never had it to begin with so they didn't lose anything.

  15. #15
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    never had it to begin with so they didn't lose anything.
    Yes, of course, people never purchased stuff locally, we all built our electronics by hand.

  16. #16
    Ohh Hell yeah.. Sava700's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    24,052
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Yes, of course, people never purchased stuff locally, we all built our electronics by hand.
    no..I mean they never had the taxes from those sales to begin with..so they didn't lose anything.

    Not sure what you missed on that?

  17. #17
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    no..I mean they never had the taxes from those sales to begin with..so they didn't lose anything.

    Not sure what you missed on that?
    They're missing the tax money they lost when all these sites started popping up and people stopped shopping locally for the items.

    Not sure what you missed on that.

  18. #18
    Maneater JawZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    21,935
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    They're missing the tax money they lost when all these sites started popping up and people stopped shopping locally for the items.

    Not sure what you missed on that.
    You wrongfully assume that people were shopping locally to begin with.

    Also, on the PC side, most local shops don't keep any sort of stock...they also order from the likes of Newegg and others.

    Now I'm not fully against the taxes, I think the taxes could be used for better things, like universal healthcare. That will never happen lol.

    ...formerly the omnipotent UOD

  19. #19
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,987
    Quote Originally Posted by UOD View Post
    You wrongfully assume that people were shopping locally to begin with.
    Yes how wrong of me to think that people bought stuff in their own state prior to the internet.

  20. #20
    SG Enthusiast OSULLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Catskills NY
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Yes, of course, people never purchased stuff locally, we all built our electronics by hand.


    Making my own chips is real hard on the electric.
    ___________________________________________

Similar Threads

  1. Now here's a reality check!
    By blacklab in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-08, 01:21 AM
  2. A Little Bit About Taxes
    By minir in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-14-07, 05:08 PM
  3. A Canadian rant about taxes
    By blacklab in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-07, 06:57 PM
  4. You have to see this
    By TonyT in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-13-07, 10:21 PM
  5. IRS taxation of online game "virtual assets" inevitable..
    By koldchillah in forum General Discussion Board
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-06-06, 01:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •