Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Running as a service problems.

  1. #1
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796

    Running as a service problems.

    I need some input.

    I have issues, running Folding as a service. It would stop running a few months ago, so I'd start it and it would stop again.

    I figured that maybe I was out of date so I downloaded the newest version and started back up. Same problems.

    Can someone lay it out on what I should be using for all the multiple choices in the setup?

  2. #2
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Well what CPU and how much RAM do you have?

  3. #3
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Well what CPU and how much RAM do you have?

    1 gig ram and I'm running and an AMD 2500 chip at 1.9 ghz. Why? It did fine for a long time. I'm sure it sill will.

  4. #4
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Name: downhil
    Team #: 15
    Launch as service: yes
    Ask before fetching: no
    Use IE settigns: no
    Use proxy: no
    Allow work greater than 5MB: yes
    Change advance: yes
    Core priority: low
    CPU usage reuested: 100
    Disable optimised code: no
    Pause if on battery: no
    Interval between checkpoints: 10 if u shut it off alot, 30 if it runs all day
    Memory to indicate: 200-300
    Request work without deadlines: no
    Set advmethods: yes
    Ignore deadline info: yes
    Machine ID: 1

  5. #5
    R.I.P. MissTynker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,930
    Usually the main culprit in this type of thing is a misconfiguation of the ie settings, that can hang things up. You do want to have use ie settings at no. Below is a link that may help you with understanding some of them, including several configuation settings (and why). It took me FOREVER to find out some of them! Hope it is of some good useful information for you

    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ
    Mystical Folding Minx

  6. #6
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    Name: downhil
    Team #: 15
    Launch as service: yes
    Ask before fetching: no
    Use IE settigns: no
    Use proxy: no
    Allow work greater than 5MB: yes
    Change advance: yes
    Core priority: low
    CPU usage reuested: 100
    Disable optimised code: no
    Pause if on battery: no
    Interval between checkpoints: 10 if u shut it off alot, 30 if it runs all day
    Memory to indicate: 200-300
    Request work without deadlines: no
    Set advmethods: yes
    Ignore deadline info: yes
    Machine ID: 1
    Yep..that's how I keep setting it up.
    As soon as I set it up, the DOS screen shows it running. The performance tab show's me at 100 percent. Just like it always used to do.

    I close down the dos screen and check performance......it's dead. Reboot thinking it should start again automatically and it doesn't.

    I give up.

  7. #7
    resident plumber Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    .
    Posts
    13,145
    do you have the PC set to use a password ?

    maybe just don't run as a service LOL

  8. #8
    Second Most EVIL YARDofSTUF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    69,983
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Yep..that's how I keep setting it up.
    As soon as I set it up, the DOS screen shows it running. The performance tab show's me at 100 percent. Just like it always used to do.

    I close down the dos screen and check performance......it's dead. Reboot thinking it should start again automatically and it doesn't.

    I give up.
    Well if you close the screen down that session where you just did all the settings then of course it will go dead. But it should start from a reboot.

    Try leaving it on and rebooting.

    Do you move it to a different directory after you set it up, and shut it down and then reboot?

  9. #9
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    I should have checked back.

    Yardy, no I don't move it at all and I leave it running as a service. I rarely even close down but what would happen is I would check to see if I was still running at 100 percent and noticed I wasn't. I'd check and it would be stopped.

    I'll be loading it on the new puters. Let's see what it'll do then.

    Thanks for your help!

  10. #10
    resident plumber Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    .
    Posts
    13,145
    specs of new PC's ?

  11. #11
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Only one pc, Mark. It's an Intel E8500 running at 3.16 Ghz with 4 gigs of DDR2 800 memory. So far I'm still playing with it.

    No luck on getting Folding to run as a service, either.

  12. #12
    resident plumber Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    .
    Posts
    13,145
    look into running the SMP client for a major points upgrade, or maybe the GPU client, which i haven't tried yet, but a lot of people are getting mega points from that, depends on what video card ya got though.

    http://foldingforum.org/viewforum.ph...4d80339023ea29

  13. #13
    ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ ♫♪ downhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    My Own Private Idaho
    Posts
    34,796
    Ok I got it running fine as a service.

    Results to be expected soon. Still some work to do and then I'll start doing some overclocking.

  14. #14
    R.I.P. MissTynker2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,930
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill View Post
    Ok I got it running fine as a service.

    Results to be expected soon. Still some work to do and then I'll start doing some overclocking.

    Woo Hoo! Good job!
    Mystical Folding Minx

Similar Threads

  1. win2k~winXP one way network (?)
    By Ceyarrecks in forum Networking Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-02-08, 05:58 PM
  2. hijackthis log comp running really slow
    By birdem in forum Network Security
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-08, 08:48 PM
  3. Problem with Downloader virus
    By lobsterfancy in forum Network Security
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-21-08, 10:11 AM
  4. Redirect problems - HiJackthis log
    By Think in forum Network Security
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-07, 07:30 PM
  5. I've been hijacked
    By Think in forum Network Security
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-07, 08:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •