Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67

Thread: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

  1. #41
    Sebastian G.
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    Kayman wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 May 2008 03:48:01 +0200, Sebastian G. wrote:
    >
    >> Kayman wrote:
    >>
    >>> isn't is accord with (his) scientific facts...

    >> ^^^^^
    >> Proof that you're an idiot.

    >
    > Ah, So typical and predictable. You must be running out of arguments.



    Another proof that you're an idiot. You're claiming trivial scientific facts
    as solely my facts, which is exactly your lack of arguments.


    >> There is none. You cannot proof that you've cleaned the system just by the
    >> absence of obvious signs.
    >>

    > Sure, yadda, yadda, yawn.



    Yet another proof that you're lacking arguments.

    >> Of course, since those fools don't understand the meaning of system
    >> integrity.

    >
    > I only wish you'd meet some of them Outback "fools" face to face...



    I do. And interestingly most of them know what they're doing wrong, and
    typically beg for the consequences not happening.

    >> It was helpful insofar that it seemed to cure the symptoms, but
    >> it never restored the system to a well-defined state, leaving all future
    >> work unreliable and potentially compromised.

    >
    > Now we know. To quote H.L.Mencken:"Puritanism: The haunting fear that
    > someone, somewhere, may be happy."



    If you would bother to understand what an universal trojan horse is (and
    feel ashame that you ever dared operating a computer without the most basic
    knowledge), then you might get a clue where to place reasonable assumptions.
    A compromised system, by definition, remains compromised until it returns
    into a well-defined state. Changing the state based on assumptions about the
    current state can't achieve that. But well, that's just trivial math...

  2. #42
    Donna
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    On Mon, 19 May 2008 08:55:18 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
    > Oh, so the "problem" wasn't what you claimed it to be in your first
    > post.


    Why so suspicious.

    Actually, in hindsight, I wish I knew how programs figure out exactly who
    is running them. This Spector program, which I apparently don't have on my
    system based on the help here, apparently wires back home who is using it.

    How does it do that? (Is this a right group to ask that question?)

    It's a privacy spying computer security internet issue.

    I'm assuming it keys off the MAC ID, which can easily be changed.

    In general, how does a program (such as Spector) know EXACTLY who is using
    it and on what computer? Is it the MAC ID or something else that it keys
    off of?

    D

  3. #43
    Donna
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 08:50:12 -0700, Donna wrote:

    > In general, how does a program (such as Spector) know EXACTLY who is using
    > it and on what computer? Is it the MAC ID or something else that it keys
    > off of?


    And better yet, could we all foil such keyloggers simply by changing
    whatever it is that it uses to key off of?

  4. #44
    Jim Watt
    Guest

    Re: AdAware, Spybot S&D

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 06:16:51 +0200, "Sebastian G." <seppi@seppig.de>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >And if the malware is an universal trojan horse, the system will remain
    >infected, albeit appearing clean. So stop claiming the contrary. Most
    >malware implementations are universal trojan horses.


    Are these ridden by universal soldiers?
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

  5. #45
    Sebastian G.
    Guest

    Re: AdAware, Spybot S&D

    G. Morgan wrote:

    > Sebastian G. wrote:
    >
    >> And if the malware is

    >
    > [slap]
    >
    > I should have listened to Kayman when he advised to ignore you. Better late
    > than never.



    Why do such idiots even come here for discussion if they can't stand arguments?

  6. #46
    jim
    Guest

    Re: AdAware, Spybot S&D

    Sebastian G. wrote:
    > G. Morgan wrote:
    >
    >> Sebastian G. wrote:
    >>
    >>> And if the malware is

    >>
    >> [slap]
    >>
    >> I should have listened to Kayman when he advised to ignore you.
    >> Better late
    >> than never.

    >
    >
    > Why do such idiots even come here for discussion if they can't stand
    > arguments?



    wow... do you guys just come home drink a bottle of whisky then logon to
    alt.this.thats

  7. #47
    Kayman
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    On Wed, 21 May 2008 11:22:41 +0200, Sebastian G. wrote:

    > Kayman wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 21 May 2008 03:48:01 +0200, Sebastian G. wrote:
    >>
    >>> Kayman wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> isn't is accord with (his) scientific facts...
    >>> ^^^^^
    >>> Proof that you're an idiot.

    >>
    >> Ah, So typical and predictable. You must be running out of arguments.

    >
    > Another proof that you're an idiot. You're claiming trivial scientific facts
    > as solely my facts, which is exactly your lack of arguments.
    >

    You don't have to be so hostile if you feel the post is not suitable to
    your tastes. You seem to be susceptible to the attitudes, feelings, or
    circumstances of others. Try to keep your emotions in check; You would
    screw up the context of anything for your purpose of argument. Not an
    intelligent approach.
    You arrogant, pretentious and condescending swine.
    >
    >>> There is none. You cannot proof that you've cleaned the system just by the
    >>> absence of obvious signs.
    >>>

    >> Sure, yadda, yadda, yawn.

    >
    > Yet another proof that you're lacking arguments.


    Well, you're not very original. You're so full of **** I doubt any of your
    bodily cavity are functioning (this explains why you can't stick your
    useless messages anywhere and continue polluting newsgroups).
    "You half-witted insignificant gob of rancid mucus."
    (Courtesy: the good people from Monty Python).

    >>> Of course, since those fools don't understand the meaning of system
    >>> integrity.
    >>>

    >> I only wish you'd meet some of them Outback "fools" face to face...

    > I do. And interestingly most of them know what they're doing wrong, and
    > typically beg for the consequences not happening.
    >

    LOL, I just feel off the oil drum I'm sitting on. Any true self-respecting
    outback person would rip off your head and **** in your neck!
    You probably met somebody called Herr or Frau Kraut living in the 'Wannsee'
    area which you as Berlin Insulaner consider JWD or janz weit draussen.
    (For the non-Krauts; Wannsee = a lake in the Berlin area, Insulaner =
    referred to the denizens of Berlin due to the isolation caused during the
    early stages of the cold war, janz weit draussen = beyond the black stump
    or outback).

    >>> It was helpful insofar that it seemed to cure the symptoms, but
    >>> it never restored the system to a well-defined state, leaving all future
    >>> work unreliable and potentially compromised.

    >>
    >> Now we know. To quote H.L.Mencken:"Puritanism: The haunting fear that
    >> someone, somewhere, may be happy."

    >
    > If you would bother to understand what an universal trojan horse is (and
    > feel ashame that you ever dared operating a computer without the most basic
    > knowledge), then you might get a clue where to place reasonable assumptions.
    > A compromised system, by definition, remains compromised until it returns
    > into a well-defined state. Changing the state based on assumptions about the
    > current state can't achieve that. But well, that's just trivial math...


    Rubbish (see my previous post in this thread)!
    What *you* don't understand is that Berlin ain't the center of the
    universe. Herr Adolph didn't succeed nor will you.

    The reason non-technical people listing their problems in (pertinent)
    newsgroups is because they're crying out for help and guidance; Something
    you never ever provide except hideous snipes, insults and encrypted
    remarks. The good people residing/working in remote areas don't need your
    empty rhetoric; They are mostly working with limited resources. All they
    care about to get their machine running again and that's where David's
    Multi-AV *is* the next best thing to re-install the OS [PERIOD]!
    They don't give damn about your overbearing bunk because it's just not
    feasible for them to do anything more 'sophisticated'. Flattening/wiping
    the HDD and re-installing the OS would most probably shut them off from the
    rest of the world for good or at least until professional help is
    available, which in some instances could take many months.

    Heck, to the horror of some German car mechanics ("das geht doch nicht" -
    "you can't do that"), we used bananas to "lubricate" the gearbox of our VW
    bus which kept us going to the next garage which was about 2000 miles away.
    If it was up to those morons we'd still be in the middle of nowhere
    (Africa).

  8. #48
    Bill Kearney
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?


    "Sebastian G." <seppi@seppig.de> wrote in message
    news:69h69mF31vkatU2@mid.dfncis.de...
    > Bill Kearney wrote:
    >
    >>> Not if you have a decent backup. At any rate, this is not a matter of
    >>> opinions, but simple scientific facts.

    >>
    >> Your advice is bogus, at best.

    >
    > Calling trivial facts bogus is the reason why you should better shut up.


    Yeah, right. Why continue to post your useless drivel? You're not actually
    helping the people asking the question. What's the point? Make yourself
    feel better? All you're doing is making an ass of yourself. Ah well,
    someone had to say it.


  9. #49
    John Mason Jr
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    Kayman wrote:
    <snip>
    > The reason non-technical people listing their problems in (pertinent)
    > newsgroups is because they're crying out for help and guidance; Something
    > you never ever provide except hideous snipes, insults and encrypted
    > remarks. The good people residing/working in remote areas don't need your
    > empty rhetoric; They are mostly working with limited resources. All they
    > care about to get their machine running again and that's where David's
    > Multi-AV *is* the next best thing to re-install the OS [PERIOD]!
    > They don't give damn about your overbearing bunk because it's just not
    > feasible for them to do anything more 'sophisticated'. Flattening/wiping
    > the HDD and re-installing the OS would most probably shut them off from the
    > rest of the world for good or at least until professional help is
    > available, which in some instances could take many months.
    >

    <snip>


    SG normally raises the same point, and you might not like it but it is
    true.

    If a machine has been compromised/infected, and you rely on signature
    based cleaning/detection methods then you cannot be sure you are not
    still compromised.

    The correct way to recover is to restore from known good media, and then
    make sure that you patch the vulnerability that allowed the compromise
    in the first place

    If you accept the risk that you may still be compromised then go ahead
    and use signature based solutions.


    John



  10. #50
    David H. Lipman
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    From: "John Mason Jr" <notvalid@cox.net.invalid>


    | <snip>
    |
    | SG normally raises the same point, and you might not like it but it is
    | true.
    |
    | If a machine has been compromised/infected, and you rely on signature
    | based cleaning/detection methods then you cannot be sure you are not
    | still compromised.
    |
    | The correct way to recover is to restore from known good media, and then
    | make sure that you patch the vulnerability that allowed the compromise
    | in the first place
    |
    | If you accept the risk that you may still be compromised then go ahead
    | and use signature based solutions.
    |
    | John
    |

    First you have to define "compramised".

    Is a system compramised if you have a Gain/Gator malware infection or NYB virus on a FAT32
    based system ?


    --
    Dave
    http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp



  11. #51
    Kayman
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    On Thu, 22 May 2008 11:28:12 -0400, John Mason Jr wrote:

    > Kayman wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> The reason non-technical people listing their problems in (pertinent)
    >> newsgroups is because they're crying out for help and guidance; Something
    >> you never ever provide except hideous snipes, insults and encrypted
    >> remarks. The good people residing/working in remote areas don't need your
    >> empty rhetoric; They are mostly working with limited resources. All they
    >> care about to get their machine running again and that's where David's
    >> Multi-AV *is* the next best thing to re-install the OS [PERIOD]!
    >> They don't give damn about your overbearing bunk because it's just not
    >> feasible for them to do anything more 'sophisticated'. Flattening/wiping
    >> the HDD and re-installing the OS would most probably shut them off from the
    >> rest of the world for good or at least until professional help is
    >> available, which in some instances could take many months.
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    >
    > SG normally raises the same point, and you might not like it but it is
    > true.
    >
    > If a machine has been compromised/infected, and you rely on signature
    > based cleaning/detection methods then you cannot be sure you are not
    > still compromised.
    >
    > The correct way to recover is to restore from known good media, and then
    > make sure that you patch the vulnerability that allowed the compromise
    > in the first place
    >
    > If you accept the risk that you may still be compromised then go ahead
    > and use signature based solutions.
    >


    John,
    Please read (or re-read) my post dated 20-May-08 10:28:12PM in this thread
    :-)

  12. #52
    Sebastian G.
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    Bill Kearney wrote:

    > "Sebastian G." <seppi@seppig.de> wrote in message
    > news:69h69mF31vkatU2@mid.dfncis.de...
    >> Bill Kearney wrote:
    >>
    >>>> Not if you have a decent backup. At any rate, this is not a matter of
    >>>> opinions, but simple scientific facts.
    >>> Your advice is bogus, at best.

    >> Calling trivial facts bogus is the reason why you should better shut up.

    >
    > Yeah, right. Why continue to post your useless drivel? You're not actually
    > helping the people asking the question.



    I do, by pointing out bogus advise.

  13. #53
    Sebastian G.
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    David H. Lipman wrote:


    > First you have to define "compramised".



    trivial: system is not in a well defined state

    > Is a system compramised if you have a Gain/Gator malware infection or NYB virus on a FAT32
    > based system ?



    Gain/Gator is not malware, at least it shows no sign of being so. For the
    NYB virus, it definitely is compromised, since it's not in a wel-defined
    state anymore. You could at most detect what programs it has changed, but
    hardly which settings and data were modified.

    Then again, a FAT32-based should already be considered as a big security
    problem that was most likely already exploited.

  14. #54
    John Mason Jr
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "John Mason Jr" <notvalid@cox.net.invalid>
    >
    >
    > | <snip>
    > |
    > | SG normally raises the same point, and you might not like it but it is
    > | true.
    > |
    > | If a machine has been compromised/infected, and you rely on signature
    > | based cleaning/detection methods then you cannot be sure you are not
    > | still compromised.
    > |
    > | The correct way to recover is to restore from known good media, and then
    > | make sure that you patch the vulnerability that allowed the compromise
    > | in the first place
    > |
    > | If you accept the risk that you may still be compromised then go ahead
    > | and use signature based solutions.
    > |
    > | John
    > |
    >
    > First you have to define "compramised".
    >
    > Is a system compramised if you have a Gain/Gator malware infection or NYB virus on a FAT32
    > based system ?


    yes and the habits that caused the infection, may have resulted in other
    currently undetected malware on the machine.


    I do believe that there is a use for malware detection/removal software,
    but that the risks are not well explained in a manner that is
    understandable to the average user.

    John


  15. #55
    David H. Lipman
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    From: "Sebastian G." <seppi@seppig.de>

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    |
    >> First you have to define "compramised".

    |
    | trivial: system is not in a well defined state
    |
    >> Is a system compramised if you have a Gain/Gator malware infection or NYB virus on a
    >> FAT32 based system ?

    |
    | Gain/Gator is not malware, at least it shows no sign of being so. For the
    | NYB virus, it definitely is compromised, since it's not in a wel-defined
    | state anymore. You could at most detect what programs it has changed, but
    | hardly which settings and data were modified.
    |
    | Then again, a FAT32-based should already be considered as a big security
    | problem that was most likely already exploited.

    I think you are COMPLETELY wrong.

    Gain/Gator is adware spyware and it is malware.

    NYB is a simple boot sector infector. The data and the system is NOT compramised. We are
    not talking about a Backdoor Trojan, Password stealer or a multi-facted Trojan using rootkit
    techniques.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp



  16. #56
    Sebastian G.
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    David H. Lipman wrote:


    > I think you are COMPLETELY wrong.
    >
    > Gain/Gator is adware spyware and it is malware.



    Aside from some few spurios claims, there's currently no indication for
    that. I'd still consider it as typically undesired software, since it
    implements functionality which actively breaks the normal usage of its
    hosting software.

    > NYB is a simple boot sector infector.



    Which implies that it had root privileges.

    > The data and the system is NOT compramised. We are
    > not talking about a Backdoor Trojan, Password stealer or a multi-facted Trojan using rootkit
    > techniques.


    Wrong, we're talking about exactly this, since such software has most likely
    compromised the system due to the very same security vulnerability NYB had
    used, or has even dropped NYB in first place. Even further, until you do a
    complete comparison against a trusted base, there's no indication that the
    malware is exactly and solely the known variant of NYB. Thus, the system
    should be clearly considered as compromised.

    But considering that you're abusing MSOE as a newsreader, it's painfully
    obvious that you have no clue about security.

  17. #57
    David H. Lipman
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    From: "Sebastian G." <seppi@seppig.de>

    | David H. Lipman wrote:
    |
    >> I think you are COMPLETELY wrong.
    >>
    >> Gain/Gator is adware spyware and it is malware.

    |
    | Aside from some few spurios claims, there's currently no indication for
    | that. I'd still consider it as typically undesired software, since it
    | implements functionality which actively breaks the normal usage of its
    | hosting software.
    |
    >> NYB is a simple boot sector infector.

    |
    | Which implies that it had root privileges.
    |

    No, it does not.


    >> The data and the system is NOT compramised. We are
    >> not talking about a Backdoor Trojan, Password stealer or a multi-facted Trojan using
    >> rootkit techniques.

    |
    | Wrong, we're talking about exactly this, since such software has most likely
    | compromised the system due to the very same security vulnerability NYB had
    | used, or has even dropped NYB in first place. Even further, until you do a
    | complete comparison against a trusted base, there's no indication that the
    | malware is exactly and solely the known variant of NYB. Thus, the system
    | should be clearly considered as compromised.
    |
    | But considering that you're abusing MSOE as a newsreader, it's painfully
    | obvious that you have no clue about security.

    Your POV is all wrong. It is not the ssytem of concern, its the data. The system has no
    value, the data on the system has worth and value. You said "...since it's not in a
    wel-defined state anymore..." but legitimate software can also change the state. it is the
    data's safety that leads to the conclusion that a system is compramised. If a system is
    compramised the dat, not the system, is at risk.

    I am not abusing MSOE. I use it in combination with Fidolook and it makes up for MSOE's
    short comings. Don't change the subject! What you are doing is redirection.

    NYB is well defined, constrained and finite. The system is NOT compramised, it doesn't have
    "priveledges". It is easily removed and the data is is not at-risk on an infected media. A
    system with NYB does not get compramised. On the otherhand a system with a password
    stealing trojan is indeed, compramised.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
    Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp



  18. #58
    Sebastian G.
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    David H. Lipman wrote:


    >>> NYB is a simple boot sector infector.

    > |
    > | Which implies that it had root privileges.
    > |
    >
    > No, it does not.



    It does. Writing to the boot sector requires either write access to
    \Device\PhysicalDriveX or \Device\VolumeX\DR0, both of which imply
    Administrator group membership, or SeRestorePrivilege, which is granted only
    to Administrator group, or would be equivalent to Administrator privileges
    (since one could change ACLs or overwrite system binaries on the raw disk).

    > Your POV is all wrong. It is not the ssytem of concern, its the data. The system has no
    > value, the data on the system has worth and value.



    The system integrity has direct implications on all data, both the stored
    ones and the processes ones. Where exactly is access to my private Pr0n
    collection a bigger issue than the system forwarding my entered online
    banking password to some Ukraine stranger?

    > You said "...since it's not in a


    > wel-defined state anymore..." but legitimate software can also change the state.



    Hint: What's the difference between "state" and "well-defined" state?

    > it is the data's safety that leads to the conclusion that a system is
    > compramised.


    Nonsense. A system can be compromised without having changed any data yet,
    though the data are still in danger that such a thing happens in the future.


    > I am not abusing MSOE. I use it in combination with Fidolook and it makes up for MSOE's
    > short comings.



    Such, like, a header line longer than 8192 byte triggering a direct buffer
    overflow and therefore immediate compromise just by marking (not even
    reading) a posting?

    > NYB is well defined, constrained and finite.



    The necessary circumstances aren't, unless you're discussing purely
    artificial setups.

  19. #59
    Jim Watt
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    On Fri, 23 May 2008 14:05:18 -0400, John Mason Jr
    <notvalid@cox.net.invalid> wrote:

    >I do believe that there is a use for malware detection/removal software,
    >but that the risks are not well explained in a manner that is
    >understandable to the average user.


    I don't think that either David Lipman or myself
    are 'average users'.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

  20. #60
    PeroPeroHop
    Guest

    Re: How to determine if Spector Pro Spyware is running on my computer?

    where's Brendon?

    "Donna" <donnaohl26@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:TiRXj.8983$nl7.1206@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com...
    >I found a receipt in my husband's credit card bill for something I think
    > might be something called Spectre Pro Spyware wireless keylogger.
    >
    > I presume the software must "phone home" somehow the keylogging activity.
    >
    > Is there any way, perhaps by looking at network activity, that I can tell
    > if my husband bought it for use on my winxp computer?




Similar Threads

  1. How to Remove Computer Virus
    By Samuel4u in forum Network Security
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-08, 11:28 PM
  2. new computer running but...
    By 7thkevin in forum Hardware & Overclocking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-08, 02:56 PM
  3. Wireless computer can't see others in workgroup
    By nismo in forum Wireless Networks & Routers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-07, 07:47 PM
  4. Computer running HORRIBLE. Help please!
    By SupraRZ95 in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-04-07, 10:09 PM
  5. Computer is running sooo slow!
    By ColdFusion in forum Software Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-07, 07:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •