Thread: Linksys BEFSR41 v2 and Road Runner Turbo

Linksys BEFSR41 v2 and Road Runner Turbo

Hi all,
    I've been using my BEFSR41 V2 router for my home network (an Intel iMac, a 1st-gen iBook, and a PC) for a year or so, and connectivity has been fine, both online and internally.

I recently upgraded my Road Runner service to Turbo, and found at the time that as long as I was plugged into the router, I was topping out at just under 5 Mb/sec. When I connected directly to the modem from the iMac, I got the 15 Mb/sec speed I was expecting.

I poked around different forums and found the browser instructions for accessing the router, and discovered that my firmware was only 1.30, so I followed the update instructions and successfully updated the router's firmware to 1.46.02 this morning.

Speeds while connected to my network are definitely better since the update, but now I'm topping out at just over half of the speed I get when I plug directly into the modem (~8 Mb/sec vs. 15Mb/sec).

Can someone out there please offer some insight as to whether this is the best speed I should expect from the router, or if there are some further tweaks I can make to bring its performance in-line with my direct-connect speeds?

Thanks for any help. Cheers!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    It's an older router....that sounds about right for the max throughput it can handle. I recommend you upgrade to a newer router.....several generations have gone by since the old befsr series first came out. Even the entry level routers of todays generation can usually handle 20 megs throughput..the better performing ones are up above 50...even 100 megs.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yeah, that's what I figured...thanks for the quick reply!