Thread: Linksys WRT54G very slow download speed

Linksys WRT54G very slow download speed

Hi everyone

I am new to this wireless thing, and i have set up this Linksys WRT54G router yesterday, everything works fine, just surfing the net etc...

But when I start downloading, its a nightmare, I only got 30Kb download speed.. I used to have 280Kb when its wired... I then tried to wire my comp with the cable connection to the router, I gain that 2XXkb download speed again, its from exacting the same link....

Can anyone help me out here? I am renting a room from someone so I cant wire my comp to the router constantly, and I really need some intensive downloadings....

Is there something to do with the setting in the router?? C'oz my room is only 10 feet away from the router and i have good signal to it... but i don't know, can anyone help me out?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Depending on the version...can try some 3rd party firmware which increases performance of the old wrt54g line.

DD-WRT
    Tomato
    Hyper-WRT

Are you running torrents or some other P2P software? Those generally crush home grade routers...too much traffic...throttle back the software, lower max connections, etc.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks alot YeOldeStonecat

i am definitely running torrents and stuff... but it tried the bandgo download link, the wireless download speed just screw up, wil the 3rd party firmware help?? i mean can i actually download stuff from torrent with the wireless connection??

Thanks

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by register8 View Post
    i mean can i actually download stuff from torrent with the wireless connection??
    With some 3rd party firmwares..such as DD-WRT, Hyper-WRT, and Tomato....you can get increased performance over stock Linksys firmware..the system runs a little lighter, a bit more stable, more QoS features, a little more range/power.

But...the router still has the same CPU and amount of memory..you can only squeeze so much out of it. The WRT54g is an old model...ready for retirement...there are more current generation routers out now with substantially more power, faster CPUs..much more RAM..they handle the many concurrent connections that P2P software puts on them.

Add to that..the ad-ware that P2P software installs on your computer..often leads to flakey network connections and performance..so clean the PC up also.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

thanks for your instant reply,

actually i just installed Xp on my comp like yesterday, so i dun think its the adware problem... anyway do you suggest any better version of 3rd firmware?? i dun know which to choose from ??

Thanks

Is there a speed difference if you run directly from your broadband modem to your computer via cat 5 cable? I guess I'm asking, have you tried to figure out if it's the router or something with the computer itself. I just went through a similar problem, and got great help on this forum.