Thread: HP Officejet Pro L7580 as NW Printer

Advanced Member

HP Officejet Pro L7580 as NW Printer

I just setup an HP Officejet Pro L7580 as a network printer for someone. The network subnet is 10.10.10.x and I gave the printer a static IP of 10.10.10.99.

From the first computer I installed from, a desktop with XP & also has Norton Security Center, I was able to install fine. The HP install software found the networked printer, I installed it, no problem.

The second computer, a laptop with XP and it only has the Windows Firewall with exceptions for File and Print Sharing, it would not install properly. The HP install software didn't see it on it's own, didn't see it when I entered the IP of the printer. I can ping the printer from this laptop. I even tried installing it as a regular printer, then just adding the TCP/IP Port but that would not work either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Try emptying temp files 'n temp internet files...and launching the program again. Ensure that it's not set to detect on USB connection...in the radio button choice early in the install routine. Before launching the setup program...just drop the XP firewall entirely.

Although HP is my favorite brand of printers...I'm not fond of that bloated driver package they use on their AIW units.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

By any chance do you have a VPN client installed on this laptop?
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Advanced Member
    Will have to check for a VPN Client, not my system. But I do not think he does.

Will also try the steps YoS mentioned. I've never been real happy with setting up HP Printers as NW printers. Seems I always have better luck with Brother's. Yes, the radio button I set to Wired/Wireless vs. USB. I did this laptop second and did exactly the same as I did on the desktop, which worked fine. I hope the temp and turning off Windows Firewall will get it. Will let you know.