Thread: SNET/SBC SMTP server changes....

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

SNET/SBC SMTP server changes....

Just a note...had a ton of clients calling yesterday...old legacy SNET clients that have had DSL from the early days of SNET...with username@snet.net

For home users who have migrated to the newer SBCGlobal servers..not my concern..but for those of us who support some business clients that have been on longstanding DSL connections with the old legacy accounts..we've probably had some of their Exchange servers doing SMTP forwarding to SMTP.SNET.NET on standard port 25 with no authentication. As some probably know...Exchange doesn't support SSL on outgoing authentication.

It's not my preference to use SNET/SBCs outgoing servers...as most of my clients I have on a partners webhosting.and he does SMTP smart hosting on port 28. But I have relucatantly had a few on SNET.

So the old smtp.snet.net servers were retired yesterday...so people sending e-mail outside of the org were getting SMTP NDAs. I called Habu bababooey at SBC support this morning...it's been replaced with SMTPAUTH.SBCGLOBAL.NET:25.....using their primary account credentials for user/pass, user@snet.net
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

smtp.snet servers

I had a smtp.snet server.No one told us about the change. I finally got thru to att dsl and they told me to change to smtpauth.sbcglobal.net:25, and gues what it dosen't work. I have thunderbird email client changed all my settings.Keep getting the same message-wants my password,I put that in and it keeps asking me for my password,after about the 5th try it tells me that the smtp server maybe unavailble or refusing connections-any ideas? Sound like this problem may be affecting many old snet customers,at least by the comments i got from the help people who were no help at all. Thanks in advance.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by toneybaloney View Post
    I had a smtp.snet server.No one told us about the change. I finally got thru to att dsl and they told me to change to smtpauth.sbcglobal.net:25, and gues what it dosen't work. I have thunderbird email client changed all my settings.Keep getting the same message-wants my password,I put that in and it keeps asking me for my password,after about the 5th try it tells me that the smtp server maybe unavailble or refusing connections-any ideas? Sound like this problem may be affecting many old snet customers,at least by the comments i got from the help people who were no help at all. Thanks in advance.
    I'd double check your username and password, it's the same one that you use for your PPPoE on the DSL connection. Username is in user@snet.net format. Make sure SSL is not checked. I flipped over a bunch of clients and Exchange servers...no issues. You are using SBC/ATT for your bandwidth, correct?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

smtp access changed to require a password they added @snet.net,I did the same,now it works.
    Thanks for for your input.