Thread: is there anyway you can set your WAN IP

is there anyway you can set your WAN IP

to be the same, using your router. ( speedtouch ST585V6)
    my isp (tiscali) offers me a dynamic IP, it usually automatically changes around every 3 days unless i disconnect.
    I just wondered if there is anyway if i could make my WAN IP last longer before it changes, i heard if you are active on the internet at the lease time they will not assign you a new ip.
    I Know some people who can log into their router and configure their WAN IP so it stays the same but i don;t know how.
    Help would be appreciated.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    tell your provider your want static or use dynamic dns
    Comptia a+ n+

I thought using dynamic DNS just updates a website to your ip address, not actually keep the IP the same..

any ideas?

any way to keep WAN IP the same/configure

my isp (tiscali) offers me a dynamic IP, it usually automatically changes around every 3 days unless i disconnect.
    I just wondered if there is anyway if i could make my WAN IP last longer before it changes, i heard if you are active on the internet at the lease time they will not assign you a new ip.
    I Know some people who can log into their router and configure their WAN IP so it stays the same but i don;t know how.
    I WAS Reading about this and i wondered if anyone knows if it'll work.
    http://www.filedudes.com/Keep_My_IP-download-28198.html

Thanks

any way to keep WAN IP the same/configure

People say dynamic DNS to me but i do not want to keep a website with my IP i just want my actual WAN ip the be the same.
    I WAS Reading about this and i wondered if anyone knows if it'll work.
    http://www.filedudes.com/Keep_My_IP-download-28198.html

i'm not sure of the webiste but look into noip which can do the same as above it might be the same i'll ask a few more people i know about this. Like you said many ways of doing this.
    Comptia a+ n+

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Your IP is governed by their DHCP service/policy..when the lease it up..it's up. You may get the same IP again..you may get a different IP....it's depends on their DHCP pool availability and what policies they have on it.

If you try to trick things...and take that IP...you can ruin the connection for someone else that uses that ISP...you can get on their radar and cause an issue.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

your right still there is no one way to do that keep it the same if there is any the isp would have a fit if you tried to keep it the same.
    Comptia a+ n+

Quote Originally Posted by mccoffee View Post
    your right still there is no one way to do that keep it the same if there is any the isp would have a fit if you tried to keep it the same.
    LOL...

Not only the ISP will have trouble, but probably some other user in the network being assigned the same WAN IP address by the ISP's DHCP server will cause random disconnection of one or both internet lines, as no 2 devices can have the same WAN IP address within the network.

If you want a static WAN IP address, subscribed for one from your ISP and they will issue you an address that is not in the dynamic pool.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

question about releasing/renewing IP ADDRESSES

Ok, so I've had an idea to keep my WAN IP the same, mine is dynamic my ISP usually auto changes it after about 3 days, unless i reset router.
    But on the command prompt it usually says my lease expires 24 hours after i obtain an IP, i was thinking i could release the ip then renew so it resets the lease.
    This way i was thinking my WAN IP would stay the same because i keep resetting the lease.

I hope i am not completly wrong about this and that lease is to do with the LAN IP, i didnt think this would be true as my LAN IP doesn't change.

Would this work?

I merged all your threads..please keep same subject to 1 thread in this 1 forum..no need to make multiple threads across several sub forums.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

its a differrent question
    ^^
    Ok, so I've had an idea to keep my WAN IP the same, mine is dynamic my ISP usually auto changes it after about 3 days, unless i reset router.
    But on the command prompt it usually says my lease expires 24 hours after i obtain an IP, i was thinking i could release the ip then renew so it resets the lease.
    This way i was thinking my WAN IP would stay the same because i keep resetting the lease.

I hope i am not completly wrong about this and that lease is to do with the LAN IP, i didnt think this would be true as my LAN IP doesn't change.

Would this work?

Internal DHCP lease of computer to router...is totally different from DCHP and IP lease from router to ISP.

You can upgrade your home account to a static IP account from your ISP.
    Guinness for Strength!!!