Thread: Connecting 4 port broadband router to wireless router

Connecting 4 port broadband router to wireless router

hello,

i want to set up a wireless network in my house. I have a dlink 2540t 4 port router with built in adsl modem that i use to connect to internet as well as wired network in my house. My question is, can i just connect one of my broadband's router port into the wireless router to share the network as well as access to the internet??

Yep..just connect the dlink router's LAN port to wireless router's LAN port with crossover cable, then configure the wireless router as access point only.

Hope helps..

meaning that i can connect one of my rj45 port into the WAN port at the wireless router and use it as an access point without having to configure anything?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    You want to reassign your wireless router a LAN IP address..that's in the range of your primary router...but outside of the DHCP pool. Example..say your primary router is 192.168.1.1. And say your wireless router came as 192.168.0.1...or even also 192.168.1.1...you reassign it to something like 192.168.1.245...or 192.168.1.2. You want to manage it through the web interface...so the first 3 octets should be the same (192.168.1.xxx)...but you want a unique IP address, and an IP that's normally not used by DHCP to give to clients (often .100, .101, etc)

Next...disable DHCP on your wireless router..as you don't want to use its DHCP, but you want to use your primary routers DHCP...or your own server.

Next...uplink the two routers using a LAN port on each. You will not use the WAN/Internet port of your wireless router.

You've now basically converted your wireless router..to be used simply as an access point.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

thanks for your support

what if i want to use the rj45 port on the wireless router, do i have to plug the broadband router in the wan port of the wifi router or i cannot use it at all.
    it's kinda waste