Thread: Modem speed doesn't match line speed

Question Modem speed doesn't match line speed

About three weeks ago I went from a 3000/512 ADSL connection to a 8000/1000 ADSL2+ connection. After the change I was surprised to find that my download speed was only half of the promised 8000 kbit. After a bit of fiddling around with the modem settings I noticed that the exact speed the modem was connecting with is 4103 kbit. No matter what I tried, the value wouldn't change. Thinking it might be an issue with the modem, I tried a different one, to no avail.
    I went on google and came acros this tool called DMT (http://dmt.mhilfe.de/) I downloaded the right version for my modem (SpeedTouch 516V6) and this is what it reported:

I called up my ISP to find out what the problem is. They tested the line, and came up with the line speed being 8 mbit. This is the same value reported by DMT. However, as can be seen in the image, the modem connects only at 4103 kbit down rate. The upload speed is as it should be. The guy at my ISP opened up a ticket, but after a week of waiting I decided to call again, because nothing had changed. This time the guy told me my ticket was still open, but no-one had actually picked it up yet. Apparently there were some bigger issues that the techs had to take care of first, so he didn't think my issue would be addressed anytime soon.

Now I don't like sitting around doing nothing, so I figured I'd ask around a bit if anyone could help me. I know my way around computers and things related quite well, but I am by no means a xDSL expert. When I came across this forum I thought someone here might know what the problem could be.

Thanks in advance to anyone that could shed some light on this for me.

djhorsman

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by djhorsman View Post
    About three weeks ago I went from a 3000/512 ADSL connection to a 8000/1000 ADSL2+ connection. After the change I was surprised to find that my download speed was only half of the promised 8000 kbit.
    The first thing to realize with broadband..is "not promised"..it's "up to"..especially with DSL, as DSL is distant dependent.

Now with that being said...do you know what your distance is from the CO? I'm going to guess it should be less than 12,000 feet..to offer that speed..and yes 4 megs is a bit on the light side if you were offered an up to 8 meg package.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Here is a graphical presentation of what YOSC is saying:

http://members.speedguide.net/trogers/04_adsl2_2.gif

You are probably located over 3 km (or 2 miles) from the CO.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

I'm aware that a larger distance means lower speed. However I'm only about 1km from the CO. Also the speed on the line is equal to the value in the image, 9117kbit. The actual issue is that the modem doesn't connect at the same speed. It's almost as if there is a cap set. DMT can be used to tweak a dsl modem to get higher data rates by manually setting the noise margin. When I play around with this setting I do manage to increase the line speed, but the actual connecting speed always remains at 4103 kbit.