Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Boss Trogers! Best Cable For Typical Dsl

Help Boss Trogers! Best Cable For Typical Dsl

ok guys, i have a noobie problem here,,, before i tell the problem, here's an overview of the scene, my pc has a 8-9 meters of telephone line that is connected to my modem ( the reason is because the telephone box or the one were u plugin the telephone line is in the other room), here is a pic of it

,then i have a 1 meter of ethernet cable which my isp has provided me along with the modem when i applied for the dsl, here is the pic,

Now, iv been wondering for a long time, wat if i bought an 8 to 9 ETHERNET CABLE, and change my current cable to a long one, and my telephone line to a shorter, will i reach the speed that i am paying for??? i didn't know anything about cables,but because of curiosity, i bought this >> ,
    and now iv tried it ( here is the pics,

(connected my pc

(the wiring going to the other room)

(in the 2nd room, the cable going to modem)

so now, my modem is in the other room, and i have 8-9 meters of patch cable (i think,coz that's it says in the cover when i bought it) connected to my pc,and i my dsl modem has a 1 meter telephone wire connected to the telephone switch or "box" if thats wat u col it..

The result, my speed seems to be much slower compared to my previouse set up, does dis means that my guess was wrong? wats the BEST cable for dsl then?iv tried searching for net and found some type of cable, cat5 , cat5e, cat6, patch cable.. which one is the best to say that i have a good connection in terms of wiring?

IM SO SORRYYYY FOR THIS LITTLE STORY OF MINE, i just want u to understand and have a clear view on my situation and problem..... by the way iv already tweak my pc , iv been here for 8 months now in speedguide.net, and iv tried all the tweaks including the suggestion of trogers, which is my current settings as of now....

any suggestion or comment would be a great help to me... thank you so much!

pics are too big im so soryyyyyyyy ,, i dont have any idea that it is going to be that big.. =c

Quote Originally Posted by asl01 View Post
    pics are too big im so soryyyyyyyy ,, i dont have any idea that it is going to be that big.. =c
    That's okay. I just zoomed down your photos to 75%.

The 9m long blue cable is a CAT6 that you connected from your modem to the comp.

The 1m long phone wiring is a CAT3, which is a normal 4-wire phone cable. Make sure you do not coil up this cable even if your modem is placed near to the wall phone jack.

We do not normally use a (yellow) patch cable between comp and modem.

A better arrangement would be to get a wireless router and use the following arrangement:

Wall phone jack -> 1m phone cable -> modem -> 1.2m blue CAT6 cable -> wireless router ----------------> one to four computers with wireless adapter cards.

What speed did you pay your ISP to give you? Is your ISP using ADSL PPPoE? The answer will determine the appropriate wireless router to buy.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

the advertise speed that i paid for is 1 mb downstream here's a link ( http://www.pldtdsl.com/ ) ... and i think its not ADSL PPPOE because i dont nid a password
    to use my internet ( not sure if that's the meaning of not PPPOE ) ,by the way i've uploaded
    another pictures for u to have a better view,,, im sori i forgot to mention that i have a filter
    that separates my dsl and telephone ... here it is

and here's an overview of the connection

thank you trogers for the quick reply...

the advertise speed that i paid for is 1 mb downstream here's a link ( http://www.pldtdsl.com/ ) ... and i think its not ADSL PPPOE because i dont nid a password
    to use my internet ( not sure if that's the meaning of not PPPOE
    Your modem may already has a built-in router and that may be why you do not need to connect with username and password.

What brand and model is the modem?
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

iv taken a picture of my modem and the back of it.. here it is boss..
    back

front

is der anything rong wid my connection setup?? or it is all fine and good?
    the modem is provided by my ISP... and also the yellow patch cable, but iv changed it to a blue patch cable ( CAT 6 as u said )... the advertised speed by my ISP is 1mb downstream ,
    and not sure about upstream if it is , 256 upstream..

This ADSL2+ modem has a built-in router.

http://dare-tech.en.alibaba.com/prod...sl2_modem.html

what do you mean when it has a router boss? i mean my modem is good or bad? and there's no problem with my modem nor my wiring connection? im downloading at a rate of 10kb/s to 20 kb/s .... i dont know wat seems to be the problem here... =c

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    what do you mean when it has a router boss? i mean my modem is good or bad?
    Most "DSL modems" used by ISPs these days are actually combo modem/routers (gateways). This is good. For one thing..your PC is protected behind a NAT firewall. Secondly...the device itself is programmed to handle the PPPoE authentication for you...so you don't have to setup PPPoE on your computer. If you are to use your own router however...you don't want to add your router on top of another router..so you'd log into your ISP provided modem/router..and reconfigure it to run purely as a modem..and let your own router by the only NAT/PPPoE device on your network. Else..you would piggyback your router on top of their router..and end up double NAT'ing...and possibly with same IP conflicts.

Cables..follow the basics..keep it simple. Phoneline...shortest possible distance from your DSL modem to the wall jack..using shortest possible cable....and good quality cable. If you need some distance...use ethernet and make the distance from your modem to your router/PC.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

what do you mean when it has a router boss? i mean my modem is good or bad? and there's no problem with my modem nor my wiring connection? im downloading at a rate of 10kb/s to 20 kb/s .... i dont know wat seems to be the problem here... =c
    No problem with your modem. It is like YoSC said. You only need to make some adjustments if you connect this modem to a separate router.

Do a tracert to www.yahoo.com and post.

here's the tracert result

Tracing route to www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net [209.131.36.158]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 51 ms 54 ms 54 ms 122.2.xxx.x.pldt.net [122.2.xxx.x]
    2 57 ms 59 ms 59 ms 124.107.254.150.pldt.net [124.107.254.150]
    3 75 ms 69 ms 69 ms 58.71.10.37
    4 74 ms 74 ms * 58.71.0.143
    5 267 ms * 267 ms if-7-2.mcore4.LAA-LosAngeles.teleglobe.net [216.
    6.85.29]
    6 282 ms 281 ms 277 ms if-5-0.mcore4.PDI-PaloAlto.teleglobe.net [216.6.
    86.9]
    7 274 ms 276 ms 282 ms if-0-0.core3.PDI-PaloAlto.Teleglobe.net [207.45.
    196.77]
    8 276 ms 277 ms 276 ms ix-5-0.core3.PDI-PaloAlto.Teleglobe.net [207.45.
    196.90]
    9 273 ms * 271 ms g-0-0-0-p151.msr2.sp1.yahoo.com [216.115.107.75]

10 * 276 ms 290 ms te-8-1.bas-a2.sp1.yahoo.com [209.131.32.19]
    11 282 ms 282 ms 277 ms f1.www.vip.sp1.yahoo.com [209.131.36.158]

i did a tracert several times and i've noticed that there's always an error on hop 3 or 4 and 5 and above,.. although it is not consistent, sometimes the error is on hop 3 sometimes on hop 4, and there is always 3 errors all in all per tracert... =c

here's the tracert result

Tracing route to www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net [209.131.36.158]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 51 ms 54 ms 54 ms 122.2.xxx.x.pldt.net [122.2.xxx.x]
    The router in your modem has been turned off. If it is on, hop 1 will show an IP address in the format 192.168.xx.xx

Write down on a piece of paper the username and password given to you by your ISP to log into their connection.

Then press the small button at the back of the modem for 10 secnds and release it to let the modem/router to reset and establish a new setup with your ISP.

Log into your router and run the setup wizard. You should choose to connect under PPPoE connection and register the username and password that was written down. Save and reboot the router.

When done, post another tracert.

hmm dats y... iv been wondering for a long time why my friends has an i.p that starts wid 192 , then iv just found out right at this moment the reason behind it.. let me try wat u said il post the tracert after doing it .. thnx for quick reply ... thnk u so much boss

how do i log in to my router/ modem by the way??

i cant access the default address of the modem/router 192.168.1.1 , maybe because its turn off as u said.. but u said log into my router boss.. how do i do dat??

i've called my ISP, and i dont know if the tech tells the truth or just simply just reasoning out his way to me.. iv ask him where is my username and password located or wat is my username and password? he to told me that i dont have a username a nd password, since
    the package of my connection is only a low connection package, and only those internet cafe businesses does have username and passowrd and mine is a residential package.. and also iv asked him how do i access the router/ modem? he told me that it is just a modem and not a router.. and the funny thing here is that, the speed that im getting is only 400 - 500 kbps, but the truth is its 600 to 800 kbps ( but sometimes its 500 to 600 kbps) , and iv told him that the advertised speed is up to 1 mbps, but he told me that my
    type of package that i have is really up to 400 to 500 kbps.. damn dis is really confusing..
    it seems to me that he is just reasoning out and doesnt know wats going on.. does everyone really have a username and password? iv retaken a picture of my modem and here it is..

how did my modem have a router when it has only 1 port for ethernet?
    what do i nid to do or tell the tech? =c

Post your TCP Analyzer report.

Your ISP tech is wrong about username and password.

If your modem does not have a built-in router, you will need to log into your internet connection with a username and password every time you had disconnect and power off the modem.

Saving the username and password into a router enables the router to connect automatically into the internet without you needing to log in.

These username and password is given to you at the start of the subscription in a sealed piece of paper. When you first connect, you have to register at the ISP's website with the given username and password and should have been given a chance to change your username once and also change your password to something you can remember easily. The changed username and password are what you need to log into the internet connection or input into the router.
    Last edited by trogers; 04-09-08 at 09:06 PM.

The little black hole in this photo is where the reset button is. Only a router has it. A pure modem has no reset button.