Thread: TCPoptimizer Help

TCPoptimizer Help

Hi, i just downloaded TCPoptimizer 2.0.3 and it doesn't seem to be working.
    Here's what i got: Before

During:

After:

As you can see, there is absolutely no difference in down/up speed. I'm wondering if someone can tell me what i did wrong. I have verizon FiOS, and I don't exactly know the advertised speed. I'm behind a router (Actiontec MI424WR). Here are my TCP/IP analyzer results:

SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 04.02.2008 18:40
    IP address: xx.xxx.xx.xxx

TCP options string: 020405b40103030401010402
    MSS: 1460
    MTU: 1500
    TCP Window: 1027840 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 4
    Unscaled RWIN : 64240
    Reccomended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920
    BDP limit (200ms): 41114kbps (5139KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 16445kbps (2056KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 54
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me.
    Last edited by BassEnergySurge; 04-03-08 at 04:13 PM.

Do a tracert to www.yahoo.com and post.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

Here it is:

Very very high ping times at the router in hop 1 of your tracert. This is probably caused by using bluetooth device operating in the same frequency band as the wireless router. Thus, wireless signals between comp and router is suffering interference. Deactivate the bluetooth or change its operating frequency.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

Sorry, but what's a bluetooth device and how to i deactivate/change frequency? Also, I'm not using a wireless connection but an ethernet. I don't know why but when I logged onto my router it said DHCP instead of COAX like it used to.
    Here's an image of the advanced and technical things if it helps:
    Last edited by BassEnergySurge; 04-04-08 at 03:03 PM.

Your router is enabled with a gateway IP address of 192.168.1.1 and this router is the DHCP server. Seems you also have a wireless access point in your network.

Bluetooth device can be a simple cordless mouse or a cordless head set for a cell phone.

Oh, thank you very much, but how can I detect and change that device's frequency?

Quote Originally Posted by BassEnergySurge View Post
    Oh, thank you very much, but how can I detect and change that device's frequency?
    That will depend on the device. Some may not have an alternative frequency band to the 2.4 GHz that your wireless system is using. In such a case, you may either have to use a wired connection to the comp (and power off the wireless access point) or sell off the bluetooth device and get one that operates on a higher frequency band (eg. 6 - 8 GHz). Same applies to any cordless phone set you may plan to use.

Hmmm, thank you very much, although the connection to my comp is indeed wired. I don't think there's any bluetooth device around my comp, unless you count the comp itself. There is an answer machine that has an attenna on it, does that count? It doesn't have a cordless phone plugged into it (my dad killed the battery 3 years ago).

Hmmm, thank you very much, although the connection to my comp is indeed wired. I don't think there's any bluetooth device around my comp, unless you count the comp itself. There is an answer machine that has an attenna on it, does that count? It doesn't have a cordless phone plugged into it (my dad killed the battery 3 years ago).
    Source around for the interference. Normal ping times between your comp and the router would be <1ms. Yours are in 10 digits.

Well, I turned everything that uses electricity off around my computer, and I did another tracert to yahoo.com, and it was basically still the same as the first one. Then I got mad and did like 10 more tracerts, and 2 of them gave me <1ms on the first hop. I don't understand why because when i did it again it went back to that 492496 thing.
    Last edited by BassEnergySurge; 04-07-08 at 03:16 PM.

Well, I turned everything that uses electricity off around my computer, and I did another tracert to yahoo.com, and it was basically still the same as the first one. Then I got mad and did like 10 more tracerts, and 2 of them gave me <1ms on the first hop. I don't understand why because when i did it again it went back to that 492496 thing.
    Try identifying any electrical device that gives out wireless signals within the room. Some may not be so obvious, like a florescent lamp.

Also try the tweak tips in the Wireless section of our forum:

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=203247

Thank you so much!!!! I have my lights on whenever I'm in the room! After I turned it off, the tracert went normal. Thx again, 1 last question about this though, why do florescent lamps give off wireless signals? and can I change its frequency somehow cuz I hate working in the dark. And sorry to bother you so much, but after working out the lamp issue, I ran a speed test again, and the results are still 10396 kbps. Can you help me work out the TCPoptimizer issue too? I called Verizon, and they said I paid for a 20mbps line.
    Last edited by BassEnergySurge; 04-08-08 at 03:02 PM.

Thank you so much!!!! I have my lights on whenever I'm in the room! After I turned it off, the tracert went normal. Thx again, 1 last question about this though, why do florescent lamps give off wireless signals? and can I change its frequency somehow cuz I hate working in the dark. And sorry to bother you so much, but after working out the lamp issue, I ran a speed test again, and the results are still 10396 kbps. Can you help me work out the TCPoptimizer issue too? I called Verizon, and they said I paid for a 20mbps line.
    This thread has the answer on florescent lights. If you intend to use wireless, you may have to change the lights to normal incandescent bulbs or halogen types:

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=238945

As for the speed, first log into your router and check under its connection status the line speed it is getting from your ISP.

Thanks very much, I finally fixed it.