Thread: My Stacker 832 Project

My Stacker 832 Project

I wanted to start a work log for my new project. The log is running on the danger den forum, but I thought I would post here to in case the folks at speedguide wanted to see. It's a Cooler Master Stacker 832 that will eventually have dual loops. It is going to start out with one loop, and then later when I upgrade to sli or tri-sli I am going to add a second loop. Work is starting off a little slow as I am waiting for the DD order to come in. Here is a list of the parts I will be using and a few pictures. Let me know if you have questions, ideas, suggestions, and so on.

Motherboard..EVGA 780i sli
    CPU..............QX6700
    Memory.........4GB Gskill PC2-8500
    Video.............8800GTX
    Radiator.........Black Ice XtremeIII
    CPU Block......MC-TDX
    Video Block....DD-8800GTX
    Pump.............D5

I wanted thermochill radiators, but they were out of stock, and a lot more money, so I went black ice. I am upgrading from a water box plus. So some components are new and some are used. Here are some pics:

My Water Box Plus

Stacker 832 Stripped down with mobo inside for first mock-up.

My tool box and mobo box.

A closer look at motherboard.

I would have taken some pictures before I unpacked the motherboard and tore the case apart, but I was to excited and jumped right in as soon as the ups guy left.
    Joe

Small update I decided to drill three holes in the motherboard tray to run power wires out of. One for the main wire harness, one for the hard drive sata wires, and one for the 8 pin power connector. I drilled the holes and used grommets to guard the sharp edges. The one for the 8 pin power may need to be enlarged, I will see when I mock up for the first time with power supply. Here are some pics.

My Water Box Plus at night, I like this box so much, may be my linux box soon:-)

My Snap-On drill, and the hole-saw I used to drill the main power connector hole.

Holes drilled.

Small hole for 8 pin power.

Another Look.

I can't wait for the rest of my parts to come in. One of my local parts suppliers is checking on supplies to paint my chassis. I will probably paint it flat back.

More updates soon, I hope. Feel free to post comments and suggestions. I would like to here what you think.
    Joe

Here is a small update. Parts came in from DD. I am going to try and install the triple radiator in the front of the case. I have external optical drives, and there is no room for an optical drive if you put the triple up front. I also needed a spot to put 4 hard drives, so I decided to mod the hard drive rack to fit in the top hole, where the fan would be.

Here are a couple shots of radiator test fit.

And a couple shots of the hard drive rack being modded.

I drilled out the rivets in the original rack. And screwed the sides to a hard drive for mock up.

That brace might be in the way.

Test fit before removing brace.

Joe

Drilling rivets and removing brace.

Now it fits, I was gonna mod the brace, or put a different one in, but the case is plenty strong without it.

I cut and drilled a small piece of sheet metal, which will be riveted to case, and hard drive rack for proper fit.

Theses rivets are in here temporary to hold things in place while I insure everything will work

Joe

RIP PoppaTom
    Some nice fab work there. Very cool, keep the updates coming.
    Formerly Neil King, grandson of PoppaTom

nice work, i really like looking at mods like this, very cool

Ok a lot of changes here. My quad core died on me so I through in an e4400. The system currently has two triple radiators, one in the front of the case and one in the bottom. I'll post some pics and comments and then if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Time to drill some holes.

Holes made.

I drilled these holes for the tubes, but was unhappy with them, so in the end I made the rectangle shaped hole in the bottom of the case bigger. Will have to get some pics of that finished.

Here the case is hanging waiting to be primered. You can see the rectangle hole is larger here.

Waiting for paint

Here the chassis is black, you can see bottom radiator and the front installed. One pump installed, and PSU installed.

Closer look.

Joe

Motherboard looks sweet on black tray.

Water block is on.

Here is a shot from the front, hard drive rack is in. Most of the wiring is up front and shoots out to the left side as you look at the front of the case. You can see the fillports here, holes drilled in chassis for tube to run through.

Mostly together now

Battery charger running pumps to get bubbles out.

From here you can see fill ports and top of hard drive.
    Joe

Here are some shots as she looks now. I am not finished yet but the system is up and running.

Wiring need cleaned up as you can see. Over all I am very happy with this project, towards the end I was a little rushed and so I did not document things as well as I would have liked, if you wanna know how I did something, or you have comments please post.

I hope to finish up and post completed pics soon.
    Joe

Great work man!

Awesome

Awesome job, great write up too!