Thread: DSL dropouts on a small network

Angry DSL dropouts on a small network

Hi - I have a new twist on this - I notice that many others are suffering with DSL dropouts. This is a 4-machine Windows wired network using a Westell 327 modem - Verizon is the ISP.

The DSL connection was reliable for over a year, then started dropping out every half hour or so. I have narrowed it down to this: It is still reliable with 3 out of 4 machines (one with Vista, one with Windows XP, one local server with Windows 2003) running on the network. When the 4th machine (another XP) starts, DSL drops out late in the boot process, and thereafter does so at random intervals, around 1/2 hour but sometimes quite often. This is reproducible. The Westell log shows this, which is typical:

FRI MAR 14 08:57:22 2008
    Connecting session(0): Auto Registration due to Manual Connect

FRI MAR 14 08:57:13 2008
    PPP DISCONNECTED on VPI 0 VCI 35 : PPP commanded down

FRI MAR 14 08:57:13 2008
    Disconnecting session(0): Auto Registration due to dsl Restart

Since this is associated with a single machine, it seems that it must be something to do with that machine's network configuration. It is certainly not to do with the network traffic - when it is running it handles FTP uploads while several browsers are running, and the failures occur when anything or nothing is going on. But - a half hour or more FTP upload will usually fail when the culprit machine is powered on (and inactive, no browser running, FTP running on one of the other machines).

This is maddening! Any help would be appreciated.

Please also answer this - is the DSL Restart commanded by the modem only, or can the computer issue the command? If the latter, what configuration methods control it?

Thanks!

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177 use manual ips on the computers Make sure all the windows updates ,or atleast the ones that involed networking have been applied. Check versions website for any firmware updates. On the Vista machine in the connection propterties uncheck the ipv6 stuff ,and the link layer stuff. Double check the drivers on the network cards.

If still dropping out try sp3 for xp it's still not final as of yet it does fix alot of networking issues. That goes with vista sp1 heck they might even added some fixes to server too ,so try windows update see what patches it finds.
    Comptia a+ n+

Hi -

The network all has fixed IPs, it made no difference when I changed from DHCP. All machines are up to date. It is the one XP machine that is doing this, I can run the others, turn them on & off etc with no problem.

I think the key must be in what start up app can decide to restart the Westell 327 and how can it be configured not to do that and keep not doing it? I thought it might have been the Trend Micro antivirus but I disabled it with no change in behavior.

Any more ideas?

Thanks!

404 Sanity Not Found PsykoPenguin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well I'm currently having the same issue with the every 10 - 30 min dropouts, I keep the modem page open all the time and it just drops out and comes back after a minute or 2. Though I think it might have something to do with Verizon. I'm getting a replacement Westell 327W modem tomorrow and going to see if it does the same thing.
    "I'm like a lion on the prowl after prey"

Hi All - Good news, no thx to Verizon tho. I got a DSL splitter and ran a "home run" CAT 5 line directly to a new phone outlet. It gets a better s/n ratio, up from 6 to 10 DB (still not great tho), and I have had no problems since. The 4th machine on the network must have just tipped the balance somehow. Switched back to DHCP addressing, made/makes no difference. Splitter is a Wilcom. See www.wilcominc.com.

Thanks for the input!