Thread: HELP!!! Dell OPtiplex GX150 & new HDD

Advanced Member

HELP!!! Dell OPtiplex GX150 & new HDD

I am installing a new HDD in a Dell Optiplex GX150, the old one clicked severely.

Anyway installed new HDD, boot to Dell XP CD, began install. Deleted any partitions on the new HDD. Made a new partition, let XP format NTFS (Quick), then files copy. After the files finish copuing and it reboots, it will not boot to the HDD.

Checked the Boot Sequence, it is good and the drive shows up in the BIOS. This is a 120GB Maxtor. Tried having the drive set as Cable Select and as Master, same result. It says Disk Boot Error.

Anyone know what the problem is?

There is prob a BIOS option to select the ATA drive and not AHCI or something similar..you just have to look for it.

Advanced Member
    I looked all thru the BIOS, didn't see anything like that. Also, set the type to Auto and it reported the correct size. The BIOS is A10 and I think that is the latest one for that model.

is A10 the latest for sure?

Did you set the settings all back to default?

Have jumpers set to master on the HDD?

Advanced Member
    Actually I just found A11, so I will try that. But as I said, Auto for the HDD Detection does report 120GB.

You think select Default Settings in the BIOS, haven't tried that, but will.

Yes I tried the drive jumpered for CS and then also for MASTER, no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John View Post
    Actually I just found A11, so I will try that. But as I said, Auto for the HDD Detection does report 120GB.

You think select Default Settings in the BIOS, haven't tried that, but will.

Yes I tried the drive jumpered for CS and then also for MASTER, no difference.
    I know the detection shows up the correct drive size...but i know newer dell's have a bios that have a selection for ATA and something else which ATA must be checked to boot into the OS once its started the install like your saying. HOwever you didn't say your using a SATA drive but it sounds like your using a IDE drive with the old ribbons>???

Advanced Member
    This is an older Dell. It originally shipped with Win98.

What is the current boot order listed in the bios?

Does this PC use an add-in PCI Ultra-ATA controller, or is it built-in (blue connector) on the mother board?
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

Advanced Member
    Boot Order is CD then HDD.

Uses built-in IDE off motherboard. This is one of the slimmer Dell's I think the Optiplex is their business line.

I tried A11, latest BIOS, still no go. I installed Windows using an old 20GB drive I had and that one boots. Maybe this model just can't boot to a larger hard drive. It's got me stumped.

the drive may require more power than the other one to enable it in which the computers power supply can give it. It shows it up in the BIOS but will not push it to run... test that theory out with loading the OS on the smaller drive and slave the larger one.

NEVER do a quik format when installing an operating system on a hdd. Boot the install cd, delete partitions, make one new partition for the op sys using the desired amount of space, leave rest unpartitioned and do a FULL format.

In my experience, quick formats work ok for fat32 but not for ntfs when using an xp install cd. I always now do full formats.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Advanced Member
    Will try these things too. BTW, this is the first I ever heard about not using NTFS Quick. I have always used it in the past and usually with no problem. Not sure that is the problem now, but will give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon John View Post
    Will try these things too. BTW, this is the first I ever heard about not using NTFS Quick. I have always used it in the past and usually with no problem. Not sure that is the problem now, but will give it a go.
    I never do quick.. always do full to make sure its fully clean..and sometimes I even throw the ole Acronis disk in and wipe with it first.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    NEVER do a quik format when installing an operating system on a hdd. Boot the install cd, delete partitions, make one new partition for the op sys using the desired amount of space, leave rest unpartitioned and do a FULL format.

In my experience, quick formats work ok for fat32 but not for ntfs when using an xp install cd. I always now do full formats.
    Yup..new OS..FULL format. Even back with FAT/FAT32 and Win9X...I always formatted. Clean slate is the way to go.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!