Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Adams on HBO

John Adams on HBO

anyone else looking forward to this one besides me? directed by Tom Hanks

http://www.hbo.com/films/johnadams/?...eat_main_image

Oh yeah. I have it set to record on my DVR.

Never heard about it but I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post

It's a minor note, but Tom Hanks only produced the mini-series (via his production company, Playtone). To the best of my knowledge, he didn't direct any particular episode, as he has done in the past for ones like Band of Brothers or From the Earth to the Moon.

I'm liking it so far, but there's still a ways to go before I can render a full verdict on it. And I'm still waiting to hear Giamatti sing a song about saltpeter...
    Last edited by Jim; 03-17-08 at 01:15 AM.

Advanced Member
    I watched it and rather enjoyed the show - I know it is based on history, but when you learn about it in a class and then see it portrayed, not sure how to explain it, but I find it interesting.

And the PA representative was a D-Bag - god save the king and send him an olive branch, just lay over and give up? wth?
    Fee was a buddhist prodigy...
    Long past the age of maturity...
    Someday he knew it would set him free...
    Like it did for Floyd...
    The Chimpanzee...

Tonight was the series finale and I must say it was a briliant show. Top notch acting across the board.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyTim View Post
    And the PA representative was a D-Bag - god save the king and send him an olive branch, just lay over and give up? wth?
    Reminded me a lot of Neville Chamberlain...

But to reiterate the other views, the series was a masterful piece of work that brought to light for a great number of people just how important John Adams truly was. Works like this and Ken Burns 'The War,' among others, are a great way to bring more interest into US history...

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Reminded me a lot of Neville Chamberlain...

But to reiterate the other views, the series was a masterful piece of work that brought to light for a great number of people just how important John Adams truly was. Works like this and Ken Burns 'The War,' among others, are a great way to bring more interest into US history...
    Band of Brothers was also another great one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Band of Brothers was also another great one.
    Got that on DVD as well

Got that on DVD as well
    I need to buy it on DVD. I love the theme song to that and John Adams. The score is amazing.

Blog Entries
    I need to buy it on DVD. I love the theme song to that and John Adams. The score is amazing.
    The score for John Adams reminded me a lot of the score from "Last of the Mohicans."

If you haven't seen Ken Burns "The War" yet, it's highly recommended. Absolutely a fascinating documentary about WWII

The score for John Adams reminded me a lot of the score from "Last of the Mohicans."
    My wife said the exact same thing right after tonight's finale. I hadn't thought about that until then, but year I would agree.

If you haven't seen Ken Burns "The War" yet, it's highly recommended. Absolutely a fascinating documentary about WWII
    I need too. I have heard good things about it.

Heard it was good, will have to get DVD.

Blog Entries
    It kills me how when John Adams was president, him and Thomas Jefferson (his VP) could take a leisurely stroll out and about...no one mobbing him, no secret service, no pre-planning of exactly where he's going to be and when he's going to be there. Or, when he was vice president under George Washington and President pro tempore of the Senate, presiding over a total of 30 senators...It's just fascinating to see how different government was back then compared to now. Can you imagine having the presidency and the vice-presidency today filled the same way as then? With the winner of the electoral college being president and the runner up being the vice-president?

It kills me how when John Adams was president, him and Thomas Jefferson (his VP) could take a leisurely stroll out and about...no one mobbing him, no secret service, no pre-planning of exactly where he's going to be and when he's going to be there. Or, when he was vice president under George Washington and President pro tempore of the Senate, presiding over a total of 30 senators...It's just fascinating to see how different government was back then compared to now. Can you imagine having the presidency and the vice-presidency today filled the same way as then? With the winner of the electoral college being president and the runner up being the vice-president?
    There was alot of good and bad things about then compared to today. IMO, our politicians in general today don't hold up to the greatness of the men who got this country started. It was nice to think they could go out and like that, but I will admit I'm not sure I am to keen on runner up being Vice President.

Blog Entries
    There was alot of good and bad things about then compared to today. IMO, our politicians in general today don't hold up to the greatness of the men who got this country started. It was nice to think they could go out and like that, but I will admit I'm not sure I am to keen on runner up being Vice President.
    The way politics are today, it probably wouldn't work. But then again, politics may have evolved differently if they had not changed how the electoral college determined the President/Vice President. And I wholeheartedly agree that todays politicians can't hold a candle to the men who built this country. There's only two things that motivate the politician of today: Power, and money.

The way politics are today, it probably wouldn't work. But then again, politics may have evolved differently if they had not changed how the electoral college determined the President/Vice President. And I wholeheartedly agree that todays politicians can't hold a candle to the men who built this country. There's only two things that motivate the politician of today: Power, and money.
    My wife who usually isn't in to politics was fascinated with this series because she is a distant relative of President Adams. I was amused with some of the similiarities between Adams and my wife. Most notably their stubbornness.

Blog Entries
    My wife who usually isn't in to politics was fascinated with this series because she is a distant relative of President Adams. I was amused with some of the similiarities between Adams and my wife. Most notably their stubbornness.
    Lol, if your wife is as stubborn as Adams was, I feel for ya

I've got a pre-revolutionary war link myself in the family. One of my direct ancestors was a participant in the Boston Tea Party. He ended up living to be 115 years old.

Wow that's cool man.

My wife is pretty stubborn that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by loop2kil View Post

is there anyway to increase the text on that site? Damn I hate adobe

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .