Thread: Download Speed Issues

Download Speed Issues

Hi there,

I have a pc connected to a broadband router. the speeds on this are fine.

Downstairs I have a sony all in one 'laptop' which is wireless. when viewing webpages the speeds are fine but if i download anything it is really slow. speed tests also produce results which put it on par with dial up speeds.

both the above run vista

When i bring my laptop home from office it connects and downloads at normal fast speeds.this one runs xp.

any suggestions as to what is slowing down the 'laptop'??

thanks,
    Gordon

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    A few things come to mind of what is slowing the xp down. If you are urrning xp firewall in control panel advanced make sure you are alloowing upnp traffic to go though. See if your programs are all allowed though with vista it seems like some of those fuctions i mettion in xp ,are either gone in vist ,or they have just kinda hcange thw way some of those things work.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177 give thease a try in both ,and make sure your applictions are allowed though the firewall. If your router has qos options you can set the priorty there. Another way is to limit the transmit power to the wireless ,and on the desktop pu the nic into 100full

The main reasion vista is faster is it's a different algrorthim that handles tcpip if you wikki ,or webapedia look up reno algrorthim ,and vist tcpip networking. My quick simple summery is vista mainly handles thing from the sender side in xp it was rerrvse where the client will do all the handshaking n xp. In vista it's kinda already being done when the client requests for the server. I admit it's a generic some of that could be off I'm tacking a course on this topic alone in Aprial ask me then
    Comptia a+ n+

Hi,

The laptop running xp is not slow.

It is the sony all in one 'laptop' running vista that is slow. The programs are allowed through the windows firewall.

So basically i'm no further forward.

Ta
    G

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    on the sony then goto contol panel netwok and print sharring then manage my connections then select your connection properites Uncheck the ipv6 stuff unleess you need them for work and also the and also the link layer stuff.

Also run windows update and get sp1 for vista.
    Comptia a+ n+