Thread: Big Ten Network, Comcast nearing deal

Post Big Ten Network, Comcast nearing deal

The Big Ten Network appears on its way to most homes in Michigan.

According to a source close to the negotiations, Comcast and the BTN have made significant progress toward a deal and only an unforeseen setback would prevent it from being on the cable system by football season.

Considering the animosity between the sides much of last fall and into the winter – Comcast ran negative ads, especially on radio, attacking BTN – a finalized deal would be significant.

Currently, BTN is mostly available in Michigan on DirecTV, Dish Network and Wide Open West with small pockets of AT&T U-verse as well.

But in a market dominated by Comcast, those affiliates reached only about 30% of homes in metro Detroit.

Sports Business Journal, which reported a deal was close in its Monday edition, said Comcast has agreed to place the network on expanded basic in most of the Big Ten footprint, but not all.

"We cannot comment specifically on the report in Sports Business Journal, other to say that the two sides continue to talk and continue to make progress. Beyond that, we cannot comment further," said Elizabeth Conlisk, vice president of communications for Big Ten Network.

While the cable company had previously insisted on placing the network on a sports tier, that demand appears to be relaxed.

“We continue to negotiate with the Big Ten for an agreement fair for all our customers,” said Patrick Paterno, direct of communications for Comcast Michigan Region.

Comcast has nearly 5.8 million subscribers in the Big Ten footprint, with a significant presence in the Detroit and Chicago area.

Fox and BTN representatives had no comment on the negotiations.

Other major cable companies, including Time Warner and Charter, have yet to sign deals and there have been no reports of progress in those talks.
    Link

I got it on DishNetwork in HD already.

Yeah I have it on DirecTV myself. I enjoy watching it.

i have stinking time warner
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    i have stinking time warner
    Dang that sucks man. I personally love the B10 network. I think it draws alot of more attention to the sports that otherwise might not get the press had this network not been there.

sports tier sounds like the best place for it, then and the nfl are too damn picky, not everyone wants to watch their ****.

Quote Originally Posted by YARDofSTUF View Post
    sports tier sounds like the best place for it, then and the nfl are too damn picky, not everyone wants to watch their ****.
    I agree with you. I personally think the B10 is out of line with this.

The "problem" is that if Comcast decides to carry the Big10, the cost is passed on to all customers including those that don't care about it. Big10 has said they DO NOT want to be in a tiered package thus the problem. 2 edged sword I reckon.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo66 View Post
    The "problem" is that if Comcast decides to carry the Big10, the cost is passed on to all customers including those that don't care about it. Big10 has said they DO NOT want to be in a tiered package thus the problem. 2 edged sword I reckon.
    Ya, if we only had to pay for the channels we wanted there'd be a lot less crappy channels.

Ya, if we only had to pay for the channels we wanted there'd be a lot less crappy channels.
    ....and your cable bill would go up! Can't make any advertising dollars if we can't put the ads in your lap. Volume and new products is the only way cable can survive. Gone are the days of cable monopoly.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

....and your cable bill would go up! Can't make any advertising dollars if we can't put the ads in your lap. Volume and new products is the only way cable can survive. Gone are the days of cable monopoly.

Not really, still have the ads getting to the viewers.

Though I'm sure the TV companies would try that with the way they rip people off for HD content.

Not really, still have the ads getting to the viewers.

Though I'm sure the TV companies would try that with the way they rip people off for HD content.
    We get paid by the amount of subscribers per channel. Some networks charge outrageous programming fees ESPN cough cough. If you decided you only want X amount of this and that channels, the programming costs go up. If ESPN is in 75,000 homes in a given market, that is how we pay. If they are in 25,000 homes then we pay more and pass it on to you.

Off-topic I know, but do you know what the biggest rip-off and travesty is? College tuition. Adjusted for inflation it has risen above almost everything else and as long as the Gubment keeps subsidizing these rip-offs it isn't going to change. Why should a family pay thousands upon thousands of dollars to educate our kids? Oh and don't even mention prescription dope and medical care. Put into perspective and need, cable is a hell of bang for the buck. Where else (besides SG) can you get 24 hour entertainment for anywhere from 1 to 3 bucks a day?
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Where else (besides SG) can you get 24 hour entertainment for anywhere from 1 to 3 bucks a day?
    netflix Cable may not be the biggest ripoff, but its no deal either when you add in HD, which isnt much HD yet, and the cost for the boxes is so much more, and then your paying for the same channels twice.

netflix Cable may not be the biggest ripoff, but its no deal either when you add in HD, which isnt much HD yet, and the cost for the boxes is so much more, and then your paying for the same channels twice.
    I will never argue that 90% of the content is crap!
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum