Thread: Comcast: 50/50Mbps To Half Their Users by 2010?

Comcast: 50/50Mbps To Half Their Users by 2010?

They get me 50megs up and down..and I'll adopt MadDoc!!!

50 megabit, upstream and down, available to half the homes in America in 2010?

Brian Roberts of Comcast is leading the charge, planning to upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0 for ten million homes in 2009. That's half his network. Motorola believes they will be able to deliver that speed in the upstream as well as the downstream, with equipment everyone is hoping will ship by the end of this year. This could be a nightmare for AT&T, Bell Canada, Qwest, and British Telecom. Comcast will be 20 times as fast as U-Verse on the upstream, and easily twice as fast downstream. The manufacturers tell me they are ready to supply equipment for 30-60M U.S. homes by 2010 if the cablecos want to move quickly. While the CTOs are very excited, the CFOs haven't yet approved the spending in other U.S. cablecos.

At the moment, limited upstream bandwidth is a seriously liability when competing with Verizon's symmetrical FiOS service (and, as evident by recent news, handling upstream P2P demand). With just a "couple billion dollars" and two solid years work, Comcast can be in a prime position to compete with Verizon's $23 billion FiOS deployment, and surpass what's offered by AT&T's $6.5 billion FTTN U-Verse deployment.

Comcast isn't confirming any deployment numbers beyond this year. "All we have officially announced is that we plan to introduce DOCSIS 3.0 to up to 20% of our footprint in 2008," Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas tells us. "We have not announced speed tiers, pricing or markets."
    source

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The 100 and 160 meg packages are making me drool.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    The 100 and 160 meg packages are making me drool.
    problem is and even with the 50meg package is that there is nobody I know of that would upload that fast back to you such as a large site..even fileplanet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    problem is and even with the 50meg package is that there is nobody I know of that would upload that fast back to you such as a large site..even fileplanet.
    yeah, but you would definitely get the most out of any site.

Quote Originally Posted by Comtrad View Post
    yeah, but you would definitely get the most out of any site.
    very true.. I hope for sure this is right on for 2010..I can be patient for another 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    Full FP download, streaming movie from netflix or whatever, windows update, ... ... crap still not enough to fill it up! Thats the best part.

i guess they'll limit the monthly bandwidth to a total of 10GB when they do it or something tho. comcast's cool like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Amro View Post
    i guess they'll limit the monthly bandwidth to a total of 10GB when they do it or something tho. comcast's cool like that.
    yea, there is a similar ISP in Canada offering something like this with laughable bandwidth limits.

I hope they take care you first Sava.

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    yea, there is a similar ISP in Canada offering something like this with laughable bandwidth limits.
    i have them now and they're ok but my buddy got one of those nasty "reduce your bandwidth usage or we're cutting your service" calls. he had used 450GB total, they said but wouldn't tell him how much to cut back by or what the "maximum" was. imo 450GB isn't really THAT much. i could see myself easily using that much b/w if i worked from home for a month. anyway hopefully they up their speeds without keeping crappy limits (doubtful).

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    hell yeah!

If I remember correctly from reading on the caps... most people get letters or calls when they go over 250 or 300gigs..but even then thats not much today with how flash media is on every website, movie streaming, legit torrents (slows cats connection down) and other transfers.