Thread: decreased speed from linksys router & comcast

Unhappy decreased speed from linksys router & comcast

Hi guys here's the background of my problem. I have comcast 6M internet service and my speed is excellent when i connect directly from my laptop to the cable modem. However, my download speed is significantly slowed down when i use my linksys WRT54G router. The decreased speed numbers are approximately lik this:
    website 1 downloading file A using modem connection: ~500KB/s
    website 1 downloading file A using router: ~150KB/s
    website 2 downloading file B using modem: ~800KB/s
    website 2 downloading file B using router: ~300KB/s

I have done many tests and changes in the last few days on the router. I did many individual tests (including using different firmware, changing MTU values, changing advanced wireless settings, etc) to single out which component my problem falls in. I think i've narrowed my problem down to this: i am experiencing a big % of packet loss when i'm using my router. I get approx. ~10000 sent packets vs ~15000 received packets.

My firmware is the most up today one from linksys (V8.005) and my router settings are all set back to default for now. I've researched the forum and found another similar issue
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=202027
    and also other issues like this. Some people suggest changing the RWIN value, and i'm wondering if that's the best approach to take right now to try to fix my problem. Thanks guys

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    MTU manually set to 1500 on the router

Try DD-WRT firmware. Just make sure the version of your router is compatible.

When running tests..when using the router..are you wired in? Not fair to compared wireless router tests against wired to modem. Is wireless locked down?

Any tweaking done on your PC should be the same regardless of if you're into the modem or router.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Yea, the MTU is 1500. The speed from the router is the same when i use wireless or wired, both significantly slower than direct cable modem connection. I 'm going to give TCP Optimizer a shot when i get home, there seem to be raging, positive response on that tool you guys have. I hope it tweaks my connection upwards.

Again, the speed problem i believe is due to packet loss when i use the router.

Perhaps reset router to factory defaults..and start again. It should not be a bottleneck...I had a wrt54g...when I had Comcast with powerboost...I still hit 18 megs of download using wireless....router on first floor..laptop across house on second floor.

Ensure wireless is secured..nobody nearby leaching from your connection.

Old router?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

yea i changed 95% of the settings back to default. the wireless signal is very good and the router is literally 2 feet away from my laptop with nothing in between and i dont hav other wireless devices running. (keep in mind i tried all 10 channels for 2.4 ghz and none of them did significantly better than others). the wireless is secure, i'm running WPA (i also tried changing to WEP, WPA-2, but all of them provided the same speed).

i bought the router 1 month ago and i updated to newest firmware for v8.
    i'm goin to try the TCP optimizer tool now. hope it solves my issue. will report back here soon

this is the speed test i ran after i used TCP optimizer

SpeedGuide.net Speed Test Results
    3835 kbps down (~3.84 Mbps, 468 KB/s)↓
    1508 kbps up (~1.51 Mbps, 184 KB/s)↑
    5120 KB downloaded in 10.938 seconds
    1024 KB uploaded in 5.563 seconds
    Tested on: 2008.02.27 20:06 EST
    Tested from: speedguide.net
    Test Link: http://www.speedguide.net/speedtest/...t=C9FKPONZTC0E
    Provider: cfl.res.rr.com

This is my analyzer result after i used Optimizer.

SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 02.27.2008 20:08
    IP address: 69.255.xxx.xxx

TCP options string: 020405b40103030201010402
    MSS: 1460
    MTU: 1500
    TCP Window: 256960 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 2
    Unscaled RWIN : 64240
    Reccomended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920
    BDP limit (200ms): 10278kbps (1285KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 4111kbps (514KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 49
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

my download speed now varies with different websites i download files from. Overall, the speed is faster by about 2-3 folds. But the speed is still slower than what i get from plugging my laptop directly with the cable modem.

Quote Originally Posted by anchovyy View Post
    my download speed now varies with different websites i download files from. Overall, the speed is faster by about 2-3 folds. But the speed is still slower than what i get from plugging my laptop directly with the cable modem.
    Wifi in general will give some packat loss regardless of the signal strength. WEP will have less packet loss than WPA. WEP will suffice if live in a residential neighborhood and you have no shady neighbors. However 128 bit WEP can be cracked in 2-3 minutes, I've done it many times when testing my own and client's wlans. WPA can be easily cracked too if you use a real name or a real word as a passkey (password, last-name, apples, etc.)
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Wifi in general will give some packat loss regardless of the signal strength. WEP will have less packet loss than WPA. WEP will suffice if live in a residential neighborhood and you have no shady neighbors. However 128 bit WEP can be cracked in 2-3 minutes, I've done it many times when testing my own and client's wlans. WPA can be easily cracked too if you use a real name or a real word as a passkey (password, last-name, apples, etc.)
    kinda scary to hear that...and u r from the metro DC area??? daymn...
    anyways, thanks for all the help. i'm just going to go with my alternate solution which is to just bypass the router completely and use connection direct from cable modem. i only have one comp at home and i started using router regularly these days cuz i just got a Xbox360 and i'm goin Live. i'll just physically hook up my wireless router whenever i'm playin xbox i guess and switch back by unpluggin the router when im onli using comp...

I would definitely keep using the router. If your laptop is parked close to it then just use a cat5 instead of the wifi. Also, depending on your wrt54g version, you would be better off using 3rd party firmware for it instead of the linksys firmware. (This was mentioned above)
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

I'd definitely stay behind the router..it protects you computer by its hardware firewall..NAT.

Plugging the computer directly into your cable modem..your computer picks up the public IP address..and it potentially exposed to the internet..wide open. Now it's up to whatever steps you took to secure your PC to protect it...good software firewall setup, no <blank> administrator password, all windows updates, etc etc. Unproperly setup...it takes less than a minute of being plugged into the modem and turned on...to become compromised/infected with stuff.

Peoples computers that I work on...those that are behind a router are far less likely to be hosed with something. Computers that I work on which are directly connected to a broadband modem and pulling a public IP address...much much MUCH more likely to be a mess of trojans and what not. I won't support computers in this setup.

The wrt54g series from Linksys...while yes it's an old model that's past its lifespan...it's still a decent old router, should not be giving you these problems. I'd look to fix it, replace if still under warranty, or just get a new one.(more current generation model)
    Guinness for Strength!!!

YeOldeStonecat and Tony, i trust you guys on the protection issue with regards to public attacks(trojans,spywares,ad-wares etcetc) when i dont use router. Actually i was downloading things last night via my wireless, things seem to be ok (as in faster than before i used TCP Optimizer). I have a friend who uses Comcast as well and he lives in my apt complex. He has a Dlink router with N technology. He actually is getting slower speed than advertised (6M from comcast) like me. He setup his router to optimal settings and still it's not as fast as it could be..

So i think in the end of this issue, it's not my router's problem but more of a performance issue since i was able to get much better dl speed when i tweaked using TCP Optimzer. So..... my final approach is to try to use a WIRED connection with my router (since as suggested, is much more secured) and if i get a speed comparable to that from direct modem connection, then i will live with it. And lets hope there are no painful complications when i go on Xbox Live at the same time i'm on the internet on the comp (obviously i expect the internet speed of my comp will slow down when im playin games on Live).
    Thanks for all the help !!!