Thread: Some speed issues

Blog Entries

Some speed issues

I just contacted my ISP regarding my cable service in general. When I mentioned that my modem rate was not quite what I hoped. The tech assured my that 23Mbps was hitting the modem at that moment. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised. She suggested that my Netgear WNR834B might be the cause. I disabled software firewalls and ran the tweaks, but I can do no better than 12.5Mbs. Could it be the router, or might I be missing something.

david

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Yes, it could be the router. Do you have the latest firmware for the router? What software firewall are you using? And can you post a TCP/IP Analyzer test?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnosteele52 View Post
    Yes, it could be the router. Do you have the latest firmware for the router? What software firewall are you using? And can you post a TCP/IP Analyzer test?

I just updated the firmware to no avail. The tests were done with the software firewall disabled (Comodo). Which TCP/IP test would you like me to run?

TYiA,
    david

Hell_Yes

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
    Tested on: 02.10.2008 15:06
    IP address: 24.149.xxx.xx

TCP options string: 020405b40103030201010402
    MSS: 1460
    MTU: 1500
    TCP Window: 256960 (multiple of MSS)
    RWIN Scaling: 2
    Unscaled RWIN : 64240
    Reccomended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920
    BDP limit (200ms): 10278kbps (1285KBytes/s)
    BDP limit (500ms): 4111kbps (514KBytes/s)
    MTU Discovery: ON
    TTL: 43
    Timestamps: OFF
    SACKs: ON
    IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

Hell_Yes

How are you connecting to the router? Using wifi? If have any 80211b clients connected to the wifi router it will auto-drop to b mode and the throughput will be 11 mbps max for all clients, even if a second client adapter is 80211g or 80211n.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

What speeds do you get here:
    www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

LRH

More:

Also, you could very well ne getting 23 mbps on the isp network but could be hitting jams outside the isp network. Determine where any packet loss occurs by doing tracerts to the "slow sites".

For example, in a tracert you may see low milisecond times on the isp routers but the times may increase drastically on the first one or two nodes outside the isp net.

LRH

Try the following with TCP Optimizer:

General Settings tab:
    Custom settings - check
    Modify All Network Adapters - check
    network adapter selection - your NIC
    MTU 1500
    TTL - 64
    TCP Receive Window - 513920
    MTU Discovery - Yes
    Black Hole Detect - No
    Selective Acks - Yes
    Max Duplicate ACKs - 2
    TCP 1323 Options:
    Windows Scaling - checked
    Timestamps - uncheck

Advanced Settings tab:
    Max Connections per Server - 10
    Max Connections per 1.0 Server - 20
    LocalPriority - 1
    Host Priority - 1
    DNSPriority - 1
    NetbtPriority - 1
    Lan Browsing speedup - optimized
    QoS: NonBestEffortLimit - 0
    ToS: DisableUserTOSSetting - 0
    ToS: DefaultTOSValue - 80
    MaxNegativeCacheTtl - 0
    NetFailureCacheTime - 0
    NegativeSOACache Time - 0
    LAN Request Buffer Size - 32768
    Then select "Apply Changes" and reboot to take effect
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

Blog Entries
    TonyT,

I am connected to the router via one of the 100Mb Ethernet ports. It is understandable that log jams occur on the web, but it would be nice to see the higher rates.... somewhere. Otherwise, it makes little sense to pay extra for it.

Trogers,
    I had the the Receive Window set higher at one point, but it did not help. When I get home, I will try it again with the other settings.

Thank you all for you help!
    david

Hell_Yes

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    TonyT,

I am connected to the router via one of the 100Mb Ethernet ports. It is understandable that log jams occur on the web, but it would be nice to see the higher rates.... somewhere. Otherwise, it makes little sense to pay extra for it.
    Thank you all for you help!
    david
    Yes it would be nice to see higher rates. My connection is around 10 mbps and I rarely see that when downloading, except for bursts when downloading smaller files. This is because most servers that host larger downloads use bandwidth throttling and set the max rates at a couple hundred KB/sec so as to be able to accomodate more users at the same time.

LRH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Yes it would be nice to see higher rates. My connection is around 10 mbps and I rarely see that when downloading, except for bursts when downloading smaller files. This is because most servers that host larger downloads use bandwidth throttling and set the max rates at a couple hundred KB/sec so as to be able to accomodate more users at the same time.
    Figures...

Hell_Yes

Blog Entries
    With a bit of research, the router seems to be the culprit. The "pro level" routers have the WAN specs necessary for the higher throughput. A rather interesting thing to learn, being that the "N" standard promises strong connectivity, but it would be limited through the WAN.

correct me if I am wrong.

Hell_Yes

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    With a bit of research, the router seems to be the culprit. The "pro level" routers have the WAN specs necessary for the higher throughput. A rather interesting thing to learn, being that the "N" standard promises strong connectivity, but it would be limited through the WAN.

correct me if I am wrong.
    Do a tracert to www.yahoo.com and post.
    "Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but is the realisation of how much you already have" - anon

Blog Entries

Hell_Yes

Blog Entries
    Note:
    The higher tcp rwin reduced the speed to about 2Mbps.... so I put it back.

Hell_Yes

Some uneveness in the ping times starting at the modem in hop 2.

Have you scan your comp for possible malware?

Make sure your modem is placed a few feet away from ALL other electrical devices, including away from the router.

Your traceroute looks super, absolutely nothing awry with the times.
    The varying times on each hop have nothing to do w/ the modem's performance, those times are how long it takes the ping to go from your modem to the specific hop.

It is odd though that this is the second hop: 10.4.128.1, that's a reserved ip block for local addressing, thus the modem must be using that 10.4.128.x range for something, possibly some internal loop before sending out. The second hop should be your ISP's first router.

d830:~# traceroute -n -I yahoo.com
    traceroute to yahoo.com (216.109.112.135), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
    1 192.168.1.1 0.898 ms 1.385 ms 1.750 ms Gateway/Router
    2 98.163.64.1 9.756 ms 10.420 ms 11.252ms ISP
    3 72.196.255.17 9.545 ms 13.255 ms 13.615 ms
    4 68.100.0.161 13.980 ms 14.104 ms 14.310 ms
    5 68.1.0.220 15.299 ms 15.663 ms 15.786 ms
    6 216.115.108.7 15.922 ms 216.115.108.43 15.288 ms 216.115.108.47 14.640 ms
    7 216.109.120.151 14.838 ms 216.109.120.217 10.111 ms 216.109.120.207 13.905 ms
    8 216.109.112.135 12.458 ms 11.924 ms 10.295 ms

A rather interesting thing to learn, being that the "N" standard promises strong connectivity, but it would be limited through the WAN.
    Yes, 80211x is a LAN thing only and has no bearing upon wired connections from comp to router or from router to modem and out.

Try this download of a Debian Linux ISO from a non-limited server. What d/l rate do you get?
    (cancel after about 10 MB)
    http://debian.cites.uiuc.edu/pub/deb...i386-CD-10.iso
    Last edited by TonyT; 02-13-08 at 11:34 AM.

LRH

Blog Entries
    TonyT,

from 600 to 1100 KB/sec

Hell_Yes