Thread: A few Wifi Networking Questions Please...

Question A few Wifi Networking Questions Please...

I have a Compaq (now HP) Presario V4000 & Brother Wifi Printer... Is there a way to make a 2nd network connection so I can Print things while ON the Internet (I found I could not do this the other night)? Or, do I need a Router?

AND, I have found a 'new' Wifi Connection at Home (there are a lot in the various apartments in my bldg & across the street... Generally the connections are ALL secure so everything is kept separate... but this Connection (called Netgear) is Open (noting here that my City is wiring for WiFi on City/Public Poles & Structures -but, I have heard nothing about my neighborhood being connected yet -and the deal was: Ads for the Limited Freebie -Pay for the better Speed & No Ads)... So, at this Point, I am wondering 'How' can I track who's connection this is or get a msg to 'em to see "What Up" (hoping there is a way to take Mask/sub-mask and eMail too...) Is there 'Any' way to Trace/Msg?

Thanks -As You can Tell Network Newbie Here (LOL)

If your printer is wifi enabled printer, then you can get a wireless router, and connect your compaq labtop and printer to the router wirelessly. Here is the way I set up a home wireless network, take a look and see whether this is what you need.

Don't try to connect to neighbor's Open wifi network, you might get sued for doing that. And also your computer might be compromised if connects to unidentified wifi network, who knows it's trap and somebody is waiting there to hack your computer?

Thumbs up Thanks/Appreciated

Thanks for the Link to Setting Up a Home Network -that looks like what I need - the Guide will help alot!

I really was hoping this Open Network might be the City -Good Points about if it's a neighbors and/or a trap.

Now to go Hardware hunting - Is the new 802.11n worth looking at?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwy101 View Post

Now to go Hardware hunting - Is the new 802.11n worth looking at?
    IMO the benefits can't be passed up...far superior range...and you don't need matching N NICs in your machine to benefit from the range..only need those to benefit from higher LAN transfer speeds. So if you're just using wireless for internet..old G adapters will be fine. Even B.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    IMO the benefits can't be passed up...far superior range...and you don't need matching N NICs in your machine to benefit from the range..only need those to benefit from higher LAN transfer speeds. So if you're just using wireless for internet..old G adapters will be fine. Even B.
    Thanks YeOldeStonecat - Appreciate Your take on this. In looking, I sure like that Linksys WRT350N with USB link for External Storage... Now if I can find good 'Sale' (lol) on it (Sales Hope on Hot Item Springs Eternal) ;-^)