Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seriously Thinking of Dumping Meat

Seriously Thinking of Dumping Meat

break out the veggies......wish I had the willpower to give meat up......

http://www.meat.org/index-1.asp?c=MYMblogadgnnjune07
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee

Banned
    Been like that for centuries.

Certified SG Addict
    I don't eat much meat anymore save for fish. I feel horrible when I eat red meat, not for any moral reason but physically drained and, for lack of a better word, "poisoned."

I just watched "How It's Made" on Discovery and watching how they treated hatchery chicks made my stomach turn. They didn't show killing, just tossing them down sorting chutes like wadded pieces of paper.

SG Enthusiast
    I quit about 4 months ago. I never felt comfortable eating meat, I would always feel guilty while doing so. People should have to witness slaughtering first hand, there'd be many more vegetarians. People are to disconnected today. Funny thing is I get a little congested this time of year, but I feel fine with no congestion what-so-ever.

It's also a good thing my girlfriends a good cook, without that it'd make things a little bit harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I don't eat much meat anymore save for fish. I feel horrible when I eat red meat, not for any moral reason but physically drained and, for lack of a better word, "poisoned."

I just watched "How It's Made" on Discovery and watching how they treated hatchery chicks made my stomach turn. They didn't show killing, just tossing them down sorting chutes like wadded pieces of paper.
    [ link ]

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shagster View Post
    Yup, that's it!

I love chicken.. Kentucky fried!!!

Deer meat is great in so many ways too!

SG Enthusiast
    Why not eat people? I'd love to taste young Chinese meat! Or how about Portuguese!!!!! I'd also love to slice peoples throats, especially all the people in NJ that voted for McCain, they seriously deserve it.

I love animals and have 3 dogs and 2 birds. They are all spoiled rotten and our best friends, but I also realize that we are at the top of the food chain and I don't lose any sleep thinking about where my chicken came from. Doesn't look to humane when a lion grabs a gazelle by the throat, flings it around and finally mauls it to death and rips its guts open or when a snake strangles a rodent and swallows it whole. It's just part of life. No, I am repulsed by humans killing each other.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Certified SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadsword View Post
    Why not eat people? I'd love to taste young Chinese meat! Or how about Portuguese!!!!! I'd also love to slice peoples throats, especially all the people in NJ that voted for McCain, they seriously deserve it.
    Calm down, don't be one of those ******* anti-meaters.

If you don't like meat, don't eat it. If you do, eat it. Each to their own.

Love meat, they dotn update that video so it doesnt help their cause any anymore.

There is nothing like a good steak or roast food wise. I think I would have a hard time giving it up. Plus all the great pork, ribs and bacon etc...
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

Today is my wife's Birthday and we went to TGI Fridays. She had Cajun Shrimp and I had the juiciest sirloin known to man. I figure I did my duty as an environmentalist by ensuring one less cow to emit ozone depleting methane.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

I have no problem with eating meat that's raised in a humane way or with hunting. Just haven't chosen to do so in about 21 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    I have no problem with eating meat that's raised in a humane way or with hunting. Just haven't chosen to do so in about 21 years.
    Yeah, I wish we could be more humane with the way we raise many of these animals, but it's probably not entirely impossible given the amount of people we are feeding. My Mother-in-Law raised a pig that sat up, shook and was smart as a whip, but in the end, it was still bacon.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare View Post
    break out the veggies......wish I had the willpower to give meat up......

http://www.meat.org/index-1.asp?c=MYMblogadgnnjune07
    I did a little test one week and ate mostly vegetables with just a little bit of chicken. Let's say, 85% of what I ate each day consisted of veggies, grains, and fruit. I felt 500% better!!! You will have more energy and will feel great.

I'm not a tofu person or a bean eater, so becoming a vegetarian might not be an option for me. I am still reading up on it though to find other sources of protein.

I can't deny the occasional burger....especially in the summertime.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmo66 View Post
    Yeah, I wish we could be more humane with the way we raise many of these animals, but it's probably not entirely impossible given the amount of people we are feeding. My Mother-in-Law raised a pig that sat up, shook and was smart as a whip, but in the end, it was still bacon.
    No, we can't feed so many people so much meat, with national distribution, without some sorts of factory farming and mechanization.

Leads to a few ideas. Eat less meat and more fruits and vegetables and grains, we'll be healthier. More importantly, support local farmers instead of national chains when it comes to food production. The food tends to be much fresher, of higher quality with fewer hormones and drugs used in the creature's lifespan, raised in an at least somewhat more humane manner, with a higher amount of the sale going back into the pocket of the farmer and into his property. In addition a greater proportion of the money stays local instead of going out of the area. Less money and fuel are spent on transportation and vehicle maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    I did a little test one week and ate mostly vegetables with just a little bit of chicken. Let's say, 85% of what I ate each day consisted of veggies, grains, and fruit. I felt 500% better!!! You will have more energy and will feel great.

I'm not a tofu person or a bean eater, so becoming a vegetarian might not be an option for me. I am still reading up on it though to find other sources of protein.
    Lots of other protein sources out there. As you pointed out Debbie, you don't have to eliminate anything from your diet.

Curious, as a tofu lover, what is it you don't like about it? If you say the flavor or texture than try different ways of cooking it, it's one of the most versatile foods out there. Give someone a block of plain 'fu and chances are slim they'll like it. Blend it, smash it, ferment it, freeze it, fry it, bake it cube it, marinate it, bbq it. Make it taste like chicken or soy sauce or tamari or hot sauce or peanut sauce or wasabi. You can make whatever texture you want and it will absorb whatever flavor you want it to.

The Japanese can fool a person into thinking they are eating a steak with some of the tricks they do with Tofu.
    USMC RETIRED

Steve

Tacoma Guitar Forum