Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheapest Way to move Out of State

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Such as? I think I've thought of all the costs involved, but perhaps there are some I am missing, if you wouldn't mind elaborating, I would greatly appreciate it.
    I would think:

Gas
    Food
    Tolls
    Renting Truck
    Hotel stay?
    Insurance for truck?

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

Have you priced trailers? If I recall, don't you have a small SUV type vehicle? Check to see if you have a hitch and it's towing capacity.

Oftentimes, it doesn't pay to move sofas and such, unless they are relatively new and of good quality. Furniture is something that can always be found inexpensively at garage sales...

I don't know of the sizes and quantities of the items that you want to move, however, back in the day, I was considered quite a good loader/packer (For the pervs! )
    If you still have my number, give me a call and we'll figure out what size truck or trailer that you can use. (If you don't have my #, PM me...)

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
    Good luck with the move Brent.
    I grew up in NC, where are you moving to?

About the only thing I can think of that might help you save some money is to go for a smaller truck. A 16' is huge, you might need that much room but I doubt it. If you take your time to pack everything thoroughly and efficiently you might find yourself needing a lot less space. If you need that much room for your couch alone look into selling the couch and buying a new one when you're moved in at your new place. Same for your bed, desk, etc...

Otherwise it sounds like you've done the pricing research. One other thing that might help is to stay with the 16' but place an ad in some local papers or on craigslist. Someone else might be moving that way as well and could put money in on the total.

Moving to Boone, I used to live there, went to HS there.

A smaller truck isn't a bad idea, perhaps a 14', but then I don't think I'd have enough room for the washer/dryer, couch, desks, bookshelves, etc.... But you have a good idea, perhaps sell these things. Then again, I already have them, so I kinda want to just keep them so I don't have to get new stuff. With a 16' truck I know I could get it all. None the less, I am in a state of reduction, trying to get rid of everything I don't need, keeping in mind I can replace stuff once I get up there.
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff View Post
    Brent over the last 20 years of moving, the cheapest by far is a local rental cube truck like you mentioned above. You shouldn't need to pay friends or relatives for the assistance on loading or unloading. Maybe some food and drinks but that's a gimme.

$500 plus/fuel is cheap moving 1/2 way across country. Face it man, the cost of moving just isn't cheap. Just wait until you find a place in NC and you have to resettle into the new pad....cha-ching!

Maybe you should just penny pinch this whole year and plan thoroughly for the new move in 2009? I good 5 grand should suffice.

If you are worried about the coin now then maybe this year isn't the right time??

Good luck anyways!
    Finding a place isn't to hard actually, I've been pricing places, and I will actually save money moving up there. For example, I found an apartment up there, built in 2005 (only 3 years old), a 2 bedroom, for $100 less than I am paying now for a 1 bedroom in Dallas! The cost of living is cheaper up there, so that's a plus. I will be making a trip up there end of March to go in person and check some places out in person. I can make it happen this summer, I'm just trying to find the best/cheapest ways to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by tHE_0ne View Post
    I would think:

Gas
    Food
    Tolls
    Renting Truck
    Hotel stay?
    Insurance for truck?
    Yeah, obviously gas and food for the trip, it would be a 2 day drive, we would have to stop and sleep one night. No tolls on the route we'd take, I've made the trip by car before so I know what is involved at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Have you priced trailers? If I recall, don't you have a small SUV type vehicle? Check to see if you have a hitch and it's towing capacity.

Oftentimes, it doesn't pay to move sofas and such, unless they are relatively new and of good quality. Furniture is something that can always be found inexpensively at garage sales...

I don't know of the sizes and quantities of the items that you want to move, however, back in the day, I was considered quite a good loader/packer (For the pervs! )
    If you still have my number, give me a call and we'll figure out what size truck or trailer that you can use. (If you don't have my #, PM me...)
    Trailers would be cheaper for sure, but my car doesn't have a Tow reciever, so that would be another cost to get one and have it installed.

I've got 1 couch, its only 2 years old, in good shape, a washer and dryer, a couple of book cases, a dresser, 2 TVs, and 2 desks. Other than that, just boxes.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Such as? I think I've thought of all the costs involved, but perhaps there are some I am missing, if you wouldn't mind elaborating, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Off the top of my head (busy doing some remote work here).....
    relocation costs....
    *New apartment...deposit, first possibly last months rent. May partially offset with whatever you get back from current flat.
    *Other costs of the transport trip...food, gas, tolls,
    *Setup/activation cost in phone
    *Setup/activation cost in cable
    *Setup/activation cost in electrical
    *There's usually a trip to a few stores upon arrival at a new place. Cleaning supplies, basic essentials you'll want to change..shelving, close organizers, carpets, basic household supplies, clean new sink drain racks, oven/range elements, lights, garbage cans...there's always a few trips to the hardware store when moving into a new place.
    *Registration of your vehicles/license in the new state, taxes
    *Sometimes easier to get a PO box in your new town until you're settled down in a permanent home. Rather than keep changing street addresses as you may find yourself moving a couple of times as you "move up" in the neighborhood to better apartments as you get acquainted with your new area. When you do a big move like this..you first...or second..or third even...place, isn't usually a long time residence.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Trailers would be cheaper for sure, but my car doesn't have a Tow reciever, so that would be another cost to get one and have it installed.

I've got 1 couch, its only 2 years old, in good shape, a washer and dryer, a couple of book cases, a dresser, 2 TVs, and 2 desks. Other than that, just boxes.
    no bed? 2 desks?... size of said bookcase? size of said tv's, desks, etc... Make a list of all items with approximate sizes, please.

send me details on your vehicle, pics, if possible...

Will do, I'll get back to you with measurements

2 TVs, and 2 desks.
    Lighten up

You can always buy more stuff later as you need it.
    Washer and dryer, easy to replace and a lot easier than moving them.

When I moved from AZ to CA, 14 hour drive, I towed a huge trailer with my Pathfinder. Worked fine but in hindsight I should have sold/given away more and moved with less.

I guess I could technically get rid of one of the TVs and one of the desks.

At least get rid of one of the desks, that will save you LOTS of space.

When I moved from my student appartment to my house in August, I pretty much threw away all furniture, because it just wasn't worth the hassle. That was moving within one city. Of course, most of the old furniture was quite worn. Also bookcases... if they're not of any personal value... get new ones.
    ex-WoW-addict

To get rid of these things, what would be the best method to sell them, to get the most money?

Are you sure you want to move away from your family?
    "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

Bruce Lee

To get rid of these things, what would be the best method to sell them, to get the most money?
    I dunno, Ebay? With a bit of luck, you can sell things above value there.
    ex-WoW-addict

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare View Post
    Are you sure you want to move away from your family?
    My family is closer to NC actually

Give ebay a shot and it that doesn't work, ...have a garage sale or run an ad in the paper. I don't about where you live, however, oftentimes there is a small book or guide that is distributed for free (ads pay for the publishing) and they give you a couple of lines for free...

I think "Penny Saver" or the likes..

Yes, there is one in Dallas...

upack.com