Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Way to move Out of State

Cheapest Way to move Out of State

Ok, as you may or may not know, I'll be moving out of state this year, from TX to NC. I am planning on doing it in the summer. I'm currently researching the cheapest ways to move. Obviously not having to rent any kind of vehicle would be the absolute cheapest, problem is I don't know anyone that has any vans or trucks to move things like my couch, washer and dryer, etc.... So, I've been looking at rental trucks, Uhaul, Budget, etc....

So far I'm finding Budget to have the cheapest rate, I can get a 16' truck to drive one-way for $503. That's still a lot of money, then got to consider gas. So, any ideas on how I could make this cheaper, any other places to check out? I also looked up movers, but they are WAY expensive, much cheaper to do it yourself.

I am currently in a state of reduction with all my things, throwing away/giving away/selling as much stuff as I can so I have as little as possible to move with as well.
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

there is this one trucking company (cant remember the name) abs er something, and they have semi trailers they part out for multiple people going to the same place. way cheaper
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    there is this one trucking company (cant remember the name) abs er something, and they have semi trailers they part out for multiple people going to the same place. way cheaper
    I checked it out actually, here was the quote they gave me:

Partial Trailer Options
    MOVE TYPE 6 FEET OF SPACE
    Terminal-to-terminal delivery $796
    Door-to-door delivery $3009

Adjustment Price Per Foot + / - $78

ReloCubeTM Options
    MOVE TYPE 1 RELOCUBE 2 RELOCUBES
    Terminal-to-terminal delivery $796 $1264
    Door-to-terminal delivery $996 $1464
    That's WAY more expensive! The cubes are kinda small, and I'd probably need 2, even if I just used one, door to door is freaking $1000!!!! It would be half that to rent the Budget truck.

son of a bit my tongue just in time. it was cheaper when i checked on it for my brother from denver to dayton
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Do it yourself. That way you don't have to hassle with any claims if something shows up damaged. You also know it's going to show up when you do, lol. Make sure you pack the truck properly. Most people leave way too much "air space" open. You want to have it packed like one solid mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post

That's WAY more expensive! The cubes are kinda small, and I'd probably need 2, even if I just used one, door to door is freaking $1000!!!! It would be half that to rent the Budget truck.
    Get a couple of your friends to help you load it up and move it yourself via Bidget or UHaul. You will save a lot and unless you have a shitload of stuff, it shouldn't take too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Do it yourself. That way you don't have to hassle with any claims if something shows up damaged. You also know it's going to show up when you do, lol. Make sure you pack the truck properly. Most people leave way too much "air space" open. You want to have it packed like one solid mass.
    Yeah, according to my research so far doing it myself is the most economical no doubt. But I'm going to have to rent a truck, cause I don't know anyone who has a vehicle big enough to do the job for a 1200 mile trip.

So I'm trying to find the cheapest truck to rent for that kind of distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Comtrad View Post
    Get a couple of your friends to help you load it up and move it yourself via Bidget or UHaul. You will save a lot and unless you have a shitload of stuff, it shouldn't take too long.
    Thankfully I do have some friends who are willing to drive up with me and help me move, so that part is covered. But I still have to rent a truck, just trying to find the cheapest.

Commit crime in state of pleasure. Extradition will take care of the rest at tax payers cost.
    People will forget what you said... and people will forget what you did... but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Thankfully I do have some friends who are willing to drive up with me and help me move, so that part is covered. But I still have to rent a truck, just trying to find the cheapest.
    how are they getting back?
    a.k.a. GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    how are they getting back?
    Fly

Good luck with the move Brent.
    I grew up in NC, where are you moving to?

About the only thing I can think of that might help you save some money is to go for a smaller truck. A 16' is huge, you might need that much room but I doubt it. If you take your time to pack everything thoroughly and efficiently you might find yourself needing a lot less space. If you need that much room for your couch alone look into selling the couch and buying a new one when you're moved in at your new place. Same for your bed, desk, etc...

Otherwise it sounds like you've done the pricing research. One other thing that might help is to stay with the 16' but place an ad in some local papers or on craigslist. Someone else might be moving that way as well and could put money in on the total.

For trucks, when we moved from Misery to Tx.

Penske was the cheapest from what we found.
    UHaul want to charge us per mile.
    Penske did not.

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Brent over the last 20 years of moving, the cheapest by far is a local rental cube truck like you mentioned above. You shouldn't need to pay friends or relatives for the assistance on loading or unloading. Maybe some food and drinks but that's a gimme.

$500 plus/fuel is cheap moving 1/2 way across country. Face it man, the cost of moving just isn't cheap. Just wait until you find a place in NC and you have to resettle into the new pad....cha-ching!

Maybe you should just penny pinch this whole year and plan thoroughly for the new move in 2009? I good 5 grand should suffice.

If you are worried about the coin now then maybe this year isn't the right time??

Good luck anyways!
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Good luck on your move Brent.

I would suggest selling most of your big stuff before you move and then aquiring new or used stuff after you move.

Couches, washers and driyers are readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by cybotron r_9 View Post
    Good luck on your move Brent.

I would suggest selling most of your big stuff before you move and then aquiring new or used stuff after you move.

Couches, washers and driyers are readily available.
    craigslist

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDoctor View Post
    Commit crime in state of pleasure. Extradition will take care of the rest at tax payers cost.
    I was thinking of an urn, but you have me beat.

For a single person move, I would agree with JCoS, a small box truck.

Hell_Yes

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity - Seneca

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Friedrich Nietzsche

www.pods.com

May not be cheapest, but really makes moving easy.
    Kinky is using a feather.
    Perverted is using the whole chicken.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff View Post

$500 plus/fuel is cheap moving 1/2 way across country. Face it man, the cost of moving just isn't cheap. Just wait until you find a place in NC and you have to resettle into the new pad....cha-ching!

If you are worried about the coin now then maybe this year isn't the right time??
    Exactly! To pick up all your goods..and transport them across several states...that's not something you can do for just a hundred bucks or so. All said 'n done..when you consider everything involved in a move...you'll easily have a comma in the cost of the move..there are a loooot of other factors involved in the total cost of a move.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Exactly! To pick up all your goods..and transport them across several states...that's not something you can do for just a hundred bucks or so. All said 'n done..when you consider everything involved in a move...you'll easily have a comma in the cost of the move..there are a loooot of other factors involved in the total cost of a move.
    Such as? I think I've thought of all the costs involved, but perhaps there are some I am missing, if you wouldn't mind elaborating, I would greatly appreciate it.