Thread: need help in home network configuration

need help in home network configuration

Hi,

I am new to networking and windows system administration, trying to setup a home network behind the cablem/modem and router. Have gone through different sites and thought this is best place where I can get some help and suggestions.

Here is my scenario:

I have a cable modem which is connected to a Router (D-Link DI624) and have a switch with 5 ports. 2 Servers and two pc's, may need to add more servers if need be.
    One server is planned to serve (win 2003 std edition) DNS,DHCP,Active Directory(AD) and VPN manager from out side. Other Servers and PC's should be only visible in local network as they need to talk to each other for application sharing, local network system should also need to connect to internet. When I connect from out side using VPN or other family members then they should be validated based on AD credentials and policies.

What is the best and easiest way to handle the above situation?

Is it right to attempt like:

Cable Modem > Router > disable DHCP on Router and assign a static local ip (ex: 192.168.0.05) to a client ( i.e server1) > connect server1 to router (and name the network as WAN on that server from network connections) > connect another NIC to switch (name it as LAN) > on server1, install DNS and configure LAN network as per http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1660 > on server1, install active directory and configure > test > connect server2 or pc to the switch and join the server1.local domain

Please suggest and also it will be really helpful if you can provide any other url's to refer for dns/ADMS and VPN configuration.

Thanks in advance.
    HoustonTester

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Easiest way......IMO is not to run dual NICs on the servers also behind a router. I'd suggest looking at just single homing each server.....just plug all PCs into the primary switch, uplink switch to router. I'd recommend a stronger router. Perhaps even a business grade one that handles VPN server jobs itself.

What is the growth of your needs? How many users?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for the suggestion, Mayo.

I may add one more application server but not required soon. Users will be between 15 to 25.

Do you have any recommendations on business class router?

Right now I have DI-624 (Dlink) router and forwared VPN calls to the first server as a test but using Admin account. Would like to have active directory so that all users can be maintained at one place with their individual accounts. As you suggested, if I go with a business class router - do i still need to have domain controller or just use work groups so that servers can communicate to each other?

Thanks for your help.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I've been fond of the Linksys/Cisco RV0 series....nice entry level business grade product.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!