Thread: 10/100 and 10/1000 difference

10/100 and 10/1000 difference

Hi friends,

I would like to know whether 10/100 is compatible with 10/1000.

See we are using switches and routers of 10/100/1000 and firewall in 10/100, whether this will make any difference in my network.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The firewall has traffic flow go through it for your internet connection....is your internet connection from your ISP faster than a hundred megs? If no...it won't be a bottleneck.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bikebefast View Post
    Hi friends,

I would like to know whether 10/100 is compatible with 10/1000.

See we are using switches and routers of 10/100/1000 and firewall in 10/100, whether this will make any difference in my network.
    Your question is a bit vague. You will experience an incoming and outgoing slowdown whenever you cross your firewall boundary (assuming your firewall is positioned between your router and ISP) anytime your bandwidth needs exceed the allowance of your ISP.

The speeds of your internal network are conditional. Conditions include the NICs on each system, the type of cabling you are using and the capabilities of your switches and routers. If your internal network and cabling is set up to handle nothing more than 100mb traffic, you will not be able to take full advantage of any gigabit traffic settings you may have elsewhere in your network.

You can also experience signal degradation based on the numbers of switches to routers and the distance between your equipment.

YeOldeStonecat's answer to your question is correct.

I would only add that 10/100 is compatible with 10/100/1000, but (for the newbies reading this) they are not one in the same.
    Last edited by Tech Manager; 01-24-08 at 06:27 PM. Reason: clarification