Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange XP issue

Strange XP issue

Okay I am not sure if this is software related or not but here it goes. I have this one PC that I have been running linux on for a couple of years. I switched this one soley to linux due to everytime I would boot XP it would give me a blue screen stating system halted hardware failure. It did this back then with XP pro and XP home. It ran for a couple of years fine with XP pro before it started doing this. Well today, I had the itch to try XP Media center on this pc. Well wouldn't you know it, as soon as it went to start the install it had the same blue screen again. This computer runs flawlessly on many flavors of linux but has completely stopped running MS. I just go not get it. The specs on this system are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    1 gig DDR crucial ram
    RTL-8139 nic
    Audigy MP3+ soundcard
    ATI Radeon 9250
    Abit KH7A motherboard
    Seagate Barracuda 120 gig HD
    WD 60 gig HD
    Last edited by burple; 01-12-08 at 10:08 PM.
    Test Your Speed Here

Previously known as beaker1.

i don't think you can upgrade a pc to media center, you have to buy one with media center installed on it. i could be wrong though, but i did read that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead324 View Post
    i don't think you can upgrade a pc to media center, you have to buy one with media center installed on it. i could be wrong though, but i did read that somewhere.
    No that is not true. I just loaded a copy on my daughters pc just fine this week. And I do not think this has as much to do with media center as it has to do with just running xp all together now.
    Test Your Speed Here

Quote Originally Posted by burple View Post
    No that is not true. I just loaded a copy on my daughters pc just fine this week. And I do not think this has as much to do with media center as it has to do with just running xp all together now.
    oh, well then what ever i read must be a lie. can't really help much now.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalHead324 View Post
    oh, well then what ever i read must be a lie. can't really help much now.

thats ok. thanks anyways.
    Test Your Speed Here

Did you mess with the bios for the linux install? May try resetting all bios setting to default and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Easto View Post
    Did you mess with the bios for the linux install? May try resetting all bios setting to default and see if that helps.
    No I did not . It was running XP a couple years back and then this started so I moved to Linux and ran fine every since. But I will reset to defaults and see what happens. Thanks.
    Test Your Speed Here

Okay I reset the BIOS back to default and no change.
    Test Your Speed Here

What is the exact bsod?
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

***Hardware Malfunction

Call your vendor for support

***The system has halted***

^^^That has always been the error on this pc after it originally started.
    Test Your Speed Here

Smithfield, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
    Have you tried removing all the extra cards and see if that is what is causing it? Also, try with 1 HDD. Is the Ram 1 piece or 2? could be the Ram?
    Main Computer:
    GA97X G3
    i7 4790K
    GTX960
    32gb Ram
    1TB Samsung 860 SSD
    NZXT Case

Quote Originally Posted by Ashdaw View Post
    Have you tried removing all the extra cards and see if that is what is causing it? Also, try with 1 HDD. Is the Ram 1 piece or 2? could be the Ram?
    I did all of that back when it first did it a couple of years ago. And it only had one HD the first time and it the same one or ones this time. The video and network card in this system has also been changed since the first time. I just do not get it. None of the hardware has had a single issue with Linux for the past 2 years. I would just like to be able to put XP back on this machine. It is almost like all of the sudden my pc hated MS and would not run it and still will not.
    Test Your Speed Here

None of the hardware has had a single issue with Linux for the past 2 years
    I also run linux on several computers. That they still boot and operate does not mean there are no issues. Your computer did have isues w/ linux, but linux will still boot and run IF the hardware that malfunctions is not absolutely necessary for the operation of it.

For example, when linux boots, hardware detection scripts run and then load the necessary configs and drivers for the hardware. Hardware detection is dependant upon a database (txt file) of known hardware w/ vendor ids, etc. If your hardware is not in the database that won't stop linux, it will still boot and run provided the undetected hardware is not a critical necessary component, such as a wifi adapter or soundcard. And often if a component fails then linux will take necessary steps to bypass it via the bios itself or use built in (coded) work arounds so the system will still boot and run. I'll bet the dmesg logs on your linux box were filled with errors related to said hardware.

Windows works differently than linux. Often if some hardware fails Windows will cease because there are no coded functions (work arounds) to remedy the situation.

Think of a motherboard as a communication system. The bios loads and readys the hardware for operation. That means that the hardware is now capable of communicating with other hardware (each other). Communication (the passing back & forth of electricity) between hardware is only possible because some software instructions monitor and direct the hardware. On the lowest level the bios software does this. On a higher level the drivers do it. And the operating system must contain instructions (software) that can allow the hardware to communicate and do its job.

When windows spits out the "hardware failure" bsod it means that windows does not know how to communicate with the hardware and has not pre-coded workarounds This is most probably due to actual broken hardware or incorrect bios settings.

The "broken hardware" could be a short on the board, it could be a bad pci port, it could be almost anything at all.

Update the bios to most recent version. Try removing all hardware except the cdrom drive and hard drive. No pci cards, no video card (if mb has onboard video). Minimum amount of ram. Then install windows. And make sure the pc meets the minumum hardware requirements for the op system per MS guidelines. Add components one at a time until get the error and you'll then know what hardware windows cannot communicate with.

If get the error before you add components then stick w/ linux or trash the mb.

LRH

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    I also run linux on several computers. That they still boot and operate does not mean there are no issues. Your computer did have isues w/ linux, but linux will still boot and run IF the hardware that malfunctions is not absolutely necessary for the operation of it.

For example, when linux boots, hardware detection scripts run and then load the necessary configs and drivers for the hardware. Hardware detection is dependant upon a database (txt file) of known hardware w/ vendor ids, etc. If your hardware is not in the database that won't stop linux, it will still boot and run provided the undetected hardware is not a critical necessary component, such as a wifi adapter or soundcard. And often if a component fails then linux will take necessary steps to bypass it via the bios itself or use built in (coded) work arounds so the system will still boot and run. I'll bet the dmesg logs on your linux box were filled with errors related to said hardware.

Windows works differently than linux. Often if some hardware fails Windows will cease because there are no coded functions (work arounds) to remedy the situation.

Think of a motherboard as a communication system. The bios loads and readys the hardware for operation. That means that the hardware is now capable of communicating with other hardware (each other). Communication (the passing back & forth of electricity) between hardware is only possible because some software instructions monitor and direct the hardware. On the lowest level the bios software does this. On a higher level the drivers do it. And the operating system must contain instructions (software) that can allow the hardware to communicate and do its job.

When windows spits out the "hardware failure" bsod it means that windows does not know how to communicate with the hardware and has not pre-coded workarounds This is most probably due to actual broken hardware or incorrect bios settings.

The "broken hardware" could be a short on the board, it could be a bad pci port, it could be almost anything at all.

Update the bios to most recent version. Try removing all hardware except the cdrom drive and hard drive. No pci cards, no video card (if mb has onboard video). Minimum amount of ram. Then install windows. And make sure the pc meets the minumum hardware requirements for the op system per MS guidelines. Add components one at a time until get the error and you'll then know what hardware windows cannot communicate with.

If get the error before you add components then stick w/ linux or trash the mb.
    Thanks for that info. I did not even think about the linux thing. Looks like I will be sticking with linux on this pc for now though. I took everything back down to bare minimum just to boot and it still did it. I even used a different video card and ram than was originally in system. I also took the bios down to basic failsafe settings. And the BIOD was updated a couple of years ago to the last rev for my MB. Oh well I was looking to build another one at tax time anyways, so I will just retire this one to a dedicated linux file share or something.

Thanks everyone else for your help as well.
    Test Your Speed Here

Is there any more info in the BSOD?
    see this and post back:
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...7-6053684.html

LRH

Is there any more info in the BSOD?
    see this and post back:
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...7-6053684.html
    I wish. That may of helped some. But it is always the same and just what I typed last night.
    Test Your Speed Here

some info:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315223

I suggest to use this bootcd and run the dos based diagnostics to isolate the bad hardware:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    Last edited by TonyT; 01-13-08 at 07:07 PM.

LRH

What are these diagnostic tools they speak of? I am of one person in this organization. lol And if I remember correctly, when this pc was running XP it had not stop errors. It just finally got to the point where it would not load, run or install anything MS due to that BSOD. And it is hard to call a vendor without knowing what is causing this. It could be anything from Abit to creative labs that is in the pc.
    Test Your Speed Here

some info:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315223

I suggest to use this bootcd and run the dos based diagnostics to isolate the bad hardware:
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    I am going to try that bootcd now. Thanks.
    Test Your Speed Here

Okay call me an idiot but I could not figure out some of those options on the boot disk. I did run the cpu and mem test and both passed. I also ran the basic peripheral test and it past. I also ran a BIOS check and all was ok. But I can not figure out how to test idependent items such as my soundcard,nic, etc.
    Test Your Speed Here