Thread: Setting Up RV082 VPN Network

hatty324

Setting Up RV082 VPN Network

Alright, I have a couple of configurations to work out but I have one thats more important than any other. Here is currently what I have configured:

Office Site 1
    Comcast Business Internet with 5 Static IPs
    RV082 using 1 Static IP from Comcast Business Cable Modem
    File Server Connecting off of RV082 (Windows Server 2003 SE)
    LAN Setup: 192.168.10.0 / 255.255.255.240

I currently have it up and running. File Server can get out to the internet no problem, Firewall is enabled on RV082.

Here is what I want to be able to do:

Using QuickVPN utility from Linksys, connect to the RV082 through a VPN link from a Remote Office. This remote office may not have a Static IP, they might only have a Dynamic IP on a standard DSL or Cable line (no dialup).

I have tried setting up the Client to Gateway and cant seem to get that to work. Should I do PPTP or should I stick with IPSEC. How exactly should I be setting it up? Group VPN Tunnel or Standard VPN Tunnel?

Sandard VPN Tunnel

TunnelName: Does this have any meaning? Does this only apply to the RV082 Router as a name to pick apart the tunnels? Or is this used with QuickVPN?

Local Group Setup: I would do IP Only since I have a Static IP right?
    IP Address: Static IP
    Local Security Group Type: Subnet?
    IP Address: 192.168.10.0
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.240

Or should the IP/Subnet be different?

Remote Client Setup: What should I do here? Remote location might not have Static. Do I do Dynamic IP + Domain Name (FQDN) Authentication? Or something else, If I do Dynamic IP + DNA, what do I use as a domain name? Does it matter? For Domain Name could I do DDNS (https://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/) and enter in that Domain Name corresponding with the locations Dynamic IP??? This whole section confuses me the most and I believe this section is why I cannot get it working.

IPSEC Setup:

This shouldn't really have much of any effect should it? As long as I have something filled in for each selection?

Should I be setting this up a different way? Using different hardware/software????

Any help much appreciated!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    QuickVPN is an IPSec software client, this is used for stand alone computers...a PC at home, or say a laptop that travels on the road.

For satellite offices...there's usually a 24x7 connection to a central office that is desired, so I normally prefer to use another VPN capable router such as another RV082 or say the smaller RV042...and build a full time IPSec VPN tunnel between the routers. Central office say at 192.168.10.xxx/255.255.255.0, and a satellite office at say 192.168.9.xxx/255.255.255.0.

I've setup several dozen RV082 routers..usually even use one at home, good performance, fast, stable, solid PPTP VPN server, fairly decent at maintaining router to router VPN tunnels, but I have to admit I can't stand their IPSec QuickVPN client...quite troublesome.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!